visiting Buffalor, River HELP

Open Discussion

arrowslinger29
Name: chris

visiting Buffalor, River HELP

Post by arrowslinger29 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi. I am planning to head west from Cape Girardeau Missouri to visit the Buffalo River area Oct. 2,3,4. Is it to dry this time of year to kayak? I specifically want to get to Hawksbill crag for some pictures. I have to work friday the 2nd and it will take 5 hours to drive I thin so I will not be arriving till probably 9pm. Where would be a good place to car camp my first night? Any water running and floatable near the crag? any other cool places to see nearby? I really know nothing about the area. I want to come familiarize myself and explore the area a bit so that this spring I can for sure plan a great Kayak trip.

Tim Eubanks

Re: visiting Buffalor, River HELP

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Paddling depends on rainfall. Not much to offer except lower stretches at present. Could change but it would take a hurricane at this point to fill up the creeks.

Someone else will chime in on car camping near Hawksbill. Shouldn't be hard to find a camping place depending on what you call "near by".

You might check out "My Buffalo River" on FB as well.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Camping available at Steel Creek, Kyles Landing, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, and for free in the surrounding National Forest.
Bryan Signorelli

Owl

Post by Owl » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:29 pm

The National Geographic map of the western part of the Buffalo River is a "must have" resource for planning any hiking or paddling adventures in the area you mention. The map shows the river and trails in the area as well as points of interest. Link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-National- ... 1566954053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a map of the eastern portion of the river,

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-National- ... FYDW6WSR09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since camping at Lost Valley is no longer allowed, the closest NPS campground to Hawksbill would be Steele Creek just east of Ponca.

Don't forget a trip down the Goat Trail to Big Bluff.
Big Bluff small.jpg

Social Media