Rendezvous - 1st timers

Open Discussion

wgonfan

Rendezvous - 1st timers

Post by wgonfan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:51 pm

My family and I are thinking about coming up on Staturday. This will be our first time at an ACC event (we are not members yet) and I had a few questions. I looked through the event page but didn't see the following covered, however I may of overlooked it.

1. Registration... Do we need to RSVP, or register or anything before we arrive?

2.Family Friendly / paddling opportunities for kids & newbies?
I have three kayaks but will most likely have 5 total people coming including my 7yr old who is anxiously wanting to kayak. Will there be a safe time & place for him to kayak, if I go along with him could he float to the ledge (I've never made the float myself)? Are there typically spare or loaner boats available?
I understand alcohol is allowed & we like to drink a little beer & wine ourselves but we don't like the rowdy crowds late at night or stupid drunk people. I'm not talking about people laughing, cutting up & generally having a good time - that's all perfectly well, welcomed & expected... You know the types I'm talking about. I'm assuming most of the members here & people who will be at Rendezvous are mature enough, well behaved enough and follow the quite time rules well enough - Correct?

3. Camping
We are hammock campers but will have a tents also; I've looked at the campground on Google maps but can't tell for certain - Will there be places to hang our hammocks? Do you think there will be enough space between campers/campsite or will it be tent wall to tent wall in an open field festival type camping?

4. Silent auction items
Do you guys yet know how the proceeds from things like the silent auction will be disbursed?

4. maybe I've overthinking it?
We plan to just come out & relax and have a good time - I just don't want to be the square pegs trying to fit into the round hole.

Roger

Re: Rendezvous - 1st timers

Post by Roger » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:01 am

1. Registration: show up and pay your fees, buy your raffle tickets, etc. No RSVP needed.

2. Probably can borrow a boat or two or catch a ride on a raft on Sunday. Remmel Dam to ledge is basically flat water and should be good for your son, Plenty of safety at ledge when you get there if he has difficulty making the drop. Lake allows for paddling as there is a launch site down on the waterfront at Couchdale.

3. Camping: some areas have trees for slinging the hammocks and plenty of space to pitch a tent. Usually a quiet area and "rowdy" area (it's not that bad) are created. Camping space is not an issue. Check with registration workers on suggestions.

4. Silent Auction proceeds are dedicated to the Conservation Fund as I recall. Someone correct me here if I am wrong. You can pick up your items that Saturday nite when it closes.

5. Doesn't hurt to 'overthink" sometimes. You will find this to be fun, relaxing weekend.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:53 am

Roger, that, Roger.

It will be a fun, relaxing, activity-filled weekend. You can do as much or as little as you want.

There will be a food truck on property Saturday for lunch to eat there or take on the river.Bionic Grasshopper. Look him up on FB or www.

Pot luck Saturday night, 6:30. Bring enough for your crew plus a couple more.

Breakfast provided Sunday morning by River Valley folks. $5 for pancakes and sausage.

Don't be shy. Introduce yourself, ask questions. You will find us to be a welcoming group of paddlers of all sorts.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks Roger! Only thing I'd add; not sure about the mature part (present company especially :poke2:), but obnoxious behavior will not be tolerated. That's never been an issue, but rest assured this event WILL always be family friendly or Little Deuce (my twelve year old daughter) will lower the boom. :NoNo: Parents are very comfy letting their youngsters have the run of the place all weekend.

With regard to the questions about your youngest's kayaking opportunities, Camp Couchdale is on a beautiful protected cove on Lake Catherine. It's suitable for a paddler of any ability and he can safely have at it any time he wants (your responsibility of course). The Remmel to Rockport float is suitable for rank beginners with proper supervision. It's all class I but the current is strong. Common sense and the slightest modicum of boat control will be sufficient, and there will be lots of support. Do be sure to run the ledge on river left in order to avoid hydraulics.

If you have other questions post up here or feel free to PM or email me directly. See you at vous!
You come too.
Robert Frost

wgonfan

Post by wgonfan » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks! Your replies help, We're Looking forward to it.

Social Media