Tepui Tents

Open Discussion
TexasRanger
Name: Doyle Weemes

Re: Tepui Tents

Post by TexasRanger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 am

No gorilla marketing from me. I just want to know what is good and bad. I don't sell any of them or any outdoor anything. My only motivation is to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing. I have been researching them for weeks now and had decided that Tepui was likely the one I would buy. Or maybe Cascadia. Even the "cheap" RTT's are not cheap. Dont want to waste $1500 on garbage that won't last.

And yes, I had to register last night to post. Never have posted before. But I've been reading the forum for a while.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Another slow day in Jenks America! Some time to play on the home computer.

This tepui tents topic is interesting to me, altho I have no plans to buy one as I have regular ground tents out the yeng yang.

But I did some web surfing and found quite a few interesting sites.

http://www.top-tent.com/tentunits/moabtent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://autohomeus.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bigfoottents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tentsontrucks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://flyingfishcampers.com.au/rooftop-tents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know anything good or bad about these sites, just found it interesting to see just a few of the models out there.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

TexasRanger
Name: Doyle Weemes

Post by TexasRanger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Look at this one. They have a fiberglass kit for a trailer body you can put on your own frame. You can also buy everything from them. I started with the trailer in mind, but if I can figure out a way to get everything in/on my jeep, I'd rather not have to pull a trailer.

http://www.dinoot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 pm

TexasRanger wrote:No gorilla marketing from me. I just want to know what is good and bad. I don't sell any of them or any outdoor anything. My only motivation is to make sure I don't buy the wrong thing. I have been researching them for weeks now and had decided that Tepui was likely the one I would buy. Or maybe Cascadia. Even the "cheap" RTT's are not cheap. Dont want to waste $1500 on garbage that won't last.

And yes, I had to register last night to post. Never have posted before. But I've been reading the forum for a while.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think it had that feel to it but it's not always easy to tell. When Saturn rafts hit the market a few years ago every time someone typed the word Saturn a new forum member magically appeared to talk about how great their Saturn raft was. It was pretty funny and very obvious what was going on. Remember that, Dave?
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Since I spent a lot of time in the NM and CO rockies areas, I monitor Mountain Buzz quite a bit.

Man, that board has some kick b+++ back and forth threads on rafts quality.

Saturn being some of the most fun to follow brands as far as quality is concerned.

Star was a popular quality of construction topic as well for a while but has not been mentioned much lately.

For a not well known subject, Tepui Tents is generating quite a bit of chatter as well, I guess anything can generate interest during these dry days of late summer.

:hammer2: :poke2: :box:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Owl

Post by Owl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Given that the roof racks on many cars and trucks are rated for less than 200 lbs. and the fact that the Tepui tents range in weight from 95 to over 200 lbs. alone PLUS the weight of the people in the tent while using it, I'd think that some serious rack or roof damage could occur.

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:15 pm

I think these roof top tents have a place in this world. When you are chasing rain to kayak or raft like we do here in Arkansas, the ground is always wet. Hopefully really wet. So these yuppie tents get you up and out of the muck. However climbing a ladder at the shank of the evening is something I want no part of.
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 pm

This has been an interesting and entertaining post. While this arrangement might not be my cup of tea now, there was a time, when I was in the military, and at one point assigned my very own jeep and I finally decided to take advantage of the situation. That jeep had a nice, flat, hard top on it, and on the few occasions when I could get a little sleep time, the top of the vehicle sure looked like a good place to avoid the chiggers, ants, and wet ground. (ladder not included). They should have made something like this when we had the grand station wagons of my youth, Olds Vista Cruiser, Ford Country Squire, Chevrolet Estate Wagons, etc.
Much earlier on, my brother and I grew up with bunk beds at home for many years. To be fair, my little brother always had the top bunk but I never remember the little guy hitting the floor :whistle: I tried to do the same laying on top of that jeep with my 1ea. -issued blanket years later.

Best Regards
Jim

panicman

Post by panicman » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:55 am

I'm sure I would feel really safe in a big wind storm in that thing. Not to mention how fun it would be having to pee in the middle of the night after several beers in me.

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:29 pm

panicman,

You get the award for the best feedback on this type system.

I am still laughing minutes after reading your post.

The thought of attempting to stand in the door or even set on the edge, attempting to do the pee deal with out A - falling to the ground or B - whizzing on myself or the vehicle, just scares me to the max. After having a few brews around the camp fire maybe a celebrating shot of Jack, it might be difficult to even exit that tent and climb down the ladder.

Good Post for sure!!!!

:beer2:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Post by Jetlab67 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 am

I've spent 20+ nights over the last 6-months in my Tepui Kukenam RTT. I've experienced blizzards, 50+ mph winds and intense rain squalls. The tent has performed brilliantly. I researched RTTs for nearly 3-years before pulling the trigger on the Tepui. If you dig deep, you'll find most brands are made in Asia, even the SA brands, and almost all use the same construction techniques. For me it came down to price. A dealer in OK offered free shipping which saved my nearly $200. I do a lot of western road trips and the tent allows quick (less than 10 min.) stealth camps on BLM and USFS saving the cost of a motel room. My setup allows me to still throw boats on top and even a rigged raft from time to time. The telescoping ladder is robust and I've not had any problems with it. I've carried a Lab Retriever up and down it many times and routinely navigate OK after several drinks. Ventilation is good, however, all RTTs are prone to condensation between the mattress and floor. Fit and finish on the Kukenam is good and I've placed Tear Aid tape over the high-wear areas on the corners as a preventive measure. I also place a pad between the stowed ladder and top to prevent chafing of top aluminum skin. Go west and you'll see mostly Tepui, CVT and ARB (all Chinese-made likely in the same factory) especially with the Jeep and Tacoma enthusiasts in Colorado. Here's a few recent pics.

Pablo

20150727_061459_resized.jpg
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Social Media