Tepui Tents

Open Discussion
paris
Name: brad weemes

Tepui Tents

Post by paris » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 am

Do we have a member that's a Tepui Dealer? If so please let me know who. If not I may become one.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Tepui Tents

Post by Deuce » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:24 pm

It's unlikely since they don't list any Arkansas dealers. My bestest buddy has one of those on his Tacoma. Pretty slick. Sending you a PM.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Owl

Post by Owl » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Someone explain to me why I'd want a tent like this as opposed to one on the ground with which I'd be less likely to break something if I fell out of it.

http://tepuitents.com/products/ayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 pm

Looks to be made for non-drinkers who are afraid of critters. :grin:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Looks like an attempt at copying an established system: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... i-Tent-RTT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:51 am

Tough crowd. Have any of you actually seen one up close and personal? Definitely not for everyone (including me), but they have their place.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 am

Interesting concept I think. If I had a bunch of money to get rid of, I would most likely check into these toys a bit further.

Most boaters I know driving SUV's have boats on top. Maybe this setup would carry boats on top as well, not sure.

Most boaters I know who tow a trailer have either a canoe rack setup (I always wanted one of these, never had the storage space in the back yard with all the other boating stuff back there) or a trailer full of rafting gear.

Looking at the prices lowest seems to be expensive to me at least and the highest models are out of my price range. Spending the cost of the top of the lines fabric tents would get me a hard shell drag behind mini RV style camp trailer complete with air conditions set up.

As mentioned previously, seems to me to be a bit of security from sleeping on top of the vehicle to plenty of chances of falling or slipping injuries from that ladder. At least for those of us like me who are balance challenged even cold sober.

If however, I was driving my Range Rover across some African plains lion park, I would find the money for one of these setups along with a couple of local Masai Spear trained lion protection experts to act as guards through the night.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm

My comment was not in terms of the concept, which definitely has its place. I have friends who use these in South Africa. This appeared to be less well made than other established brands, as evidenced in reviews, one for which I provided a link.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Curtis,

slow day here in the big city of Jenks. Taking a break from the outside heat inside enjoying the A/C.

I went to the link you posted and read a great deal of it, not complete as things started repeating themselves I thought.

Bottom line, that is a good link and I appreciate you posting it.

I had no idea this type of tent was so popular neither did I know a bunch of the stuff brought up in this thread about USA and Manufacturing in China.

Which opens up another discussion topic. Why is so much of products sold in the USA made in China. I always thought it was just so cheap (materials and labor) now I wonder if there is something in Federal Regulations that encourages US retailers to use China made stuff not made in the USA.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

hop
Name: Daryl Hopper

Post by hop » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:12 pm

I think if you are looking at something like that, and have the money, then a SylvanSport GO trailer is the way to go. It's a bit much for my lifestyle...but perhaps if I had many many more vacation days. Looks to be made in NC (well, at least assembled there, don't know about the rest of it):

http://www.sylvansport.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 pm

There was a guy at one of the pool sessions last winter with a Go trailer. It looked to be bomber, and very well designed. As for the roof top tent....I was just goofing. It looks pretty cool too.-M- :D
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

TexasRanger
Name: Doyle Weemes

Post by TexasRanger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 pm

So if Tepui sucks, what do you suggest? I'd definitely like to know what is better. I went to the link but didn't go through all 48 pages. The first page was from 2010. From my research, Tepui is the best (or one of the best) of the US based companies making these. They are almost all made in China except some made in South Africa (and those could be made in China and if they aren't, what make South Africa's manufacturing better than China's?). Just because they are made in China doesn't necessarily mean they are junk. Tepui could have much high quality standards and original specs than all the other manufacturers.

I have been looking at these for a several weeks and like paris, I'd like to buy one. I can put it on top of my jeep and put my boats on top of it.

TexasRanger
Name: Doyle Weemes

Post by TexasRanger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Made it a little further into that forum thread. Seems like it was just one guy (that sells a couple of imported "south african made" RTT's) with anything negative to say about Tepui. He disappeared after the owner of Tepui posted on the forum. Everyone that actually owned one (at least as far as I made it into the forum) had all positive comments. Which is inline with all the other reviews I have read. But again, I am looking and very open to suggestions of a better RTT.

Maybe paris can get us all a ACC discount..... Sounds like they were at one time selling them at dealer cost to clubs.

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 pm

I smell a little " Gorilla Marketing", going on here.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am

magicmike wrote:I smell a little " Gorilla Marketing", going on here.
Well, I know who Paris is and that's not what he's doing, but what about it, Tex? Fair question since these are your first posts.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media