Learning "tips and Tricks" for using Sit-On-Tops

Open Discussion

Winterborn
Name: Brian Harvey

Learning "tips and Tricks" for using Sit-On-Tops

Post by Winterborn » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:14 am

Hello Again All,

I'm looking for some training on best practices with sit-on-top kayaks when doing floats / Class 1-2 rapids, etc...

Are there any groups in the Club that meet or that I can get with to talk with and learn?

Regards,
Brian
Last edited by Winterborn on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Learning "Best Practices" for using Sit-On-Tops

Post by Cowper » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't know where you live, but I'd say your best bet would be to join one of the floats posted on our trips forum, and talk to folks along the way. Trips on the Buffalo, Caddo, or Ouachita (Remmel to Rockport ) would be good choices.

The most common mistake I see with sit on tops is the use of paddle leashes. These are a carry over from those who paddle in the surf, but are considered a safety hazard when used in a river environment.

Other best practices are pretty much the same as for any boating:
Don't go alone
Wear your PFD
Tie your stuff into the boat, EXCEPT FOR YOUR DOG
Know and follow the Arkansas Litter Law (see stickied post above)
Do your homework. Don't plan for a 4 hour float, and then figure out at 4 PM that you didn't put in at the right place and still have 15 miles more to go. This happens more often than most admit.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 pm

Brian,
There are certain 'best practices' that apply to all types of kayaks, and I can't add any more than Cowper has already mentioned.
In about a week and a half or so, the ACC is hosting it's annual Surf&Turf event on the Ouachita River near Malvern. If you live fairly close by, and would care to join us, please do. You can look at the details of the event, as to where to meet, times, and so forth on our website.

Best Regards
Jim

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:55 am

Enroll in a Swiftwater Rescue course.
The subjects taught are pertinent to any boat in any style of water.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Brian,

We started in SOT's several years ago. My daughter still has hers and paddles it some during the summer months. We'll be at S&T if you want to talk. We didn't know what we didn't know when we first started so maybe you could benefit from our history.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm

What SOT did you buy? You might also want to join us for Rendezvous in September.

Winterborn

Post by Winterborn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:31 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice, thoughts, and invitations. I will be looking into the gatherings.

My current baby is a OK Prowler 13t. I had the opportunity to try a Wilderness Ride 115X and I am in the process of selling my "old and faithful" to buy that variant.

The weight capacity, much smaller length, agility, comfort, etc. are amazing in the WS 115 series. I''ve done a LOT of research and reading, and I came down to a few choices I talk about in a different post. My testing for this boat was extreme when you consider that when tested, I had several injuries, including a 1/2 healed broken collarbone. That boat, with injuries was awesome, and my wife even commented that it moved a thousand times better with me than my old one ever has. As you commented Chris, when I bought my 13 T, "I didn't know, what I didn't know." (and still don't. I learn new stuff every day.)

My need for learning more about "best practices, tips and tricks" comes into play from having gone immediately from purchase, to novice, and possibly above novice environments and usage. Consider Upper Buffalo during somewhat fast water (Stage 1 and 2), Saline at slightly fast water (Stage 0 -1), 3 AM hunting trips across Lake Conway (Lake winds, waves, etc...) I'm just now learning all the "basics" I should have gone through from the start (sounds familiar huh?). I want to be as proficient and successful as I can be, and the best way is to stop being stupid, stop making assumptions, ask the questions, and become wise.

Best Regards,
Brian

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:23 am

Reading the phrase "best practices" used in a paddling context reminded me of "The Corporate B.S. Generator" at
http://cbsg.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How about "Tips & Tricks", instead? ;-)

Winterborn

Post by Winterborn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:05 pm

TwinDad,

I can see what you mean (with some help from my wife), (I come from a very intensive IT and Programming background and I always use the term "Best Practices" when referring to "how things should be done". I'm also a bit of a geek. She explained that in some things, like kayaking, there are no real "best practices", because that term indicates that a subject has questions that have been professionally researched, reviewed, and possibly published (like medical journals, Forensics, etc.). Those, often have absolutes, in recreational settings like kayaking, there are many tips and tricks that work well for some folks, not so much for others, and some are universally accepted as "suggestions" from experience..(like having a throw bag..)

I try to continue learning and improving, so don't be surprised if I ask a silly, or stupid question, since I will freely admit to not knowing the answers to a lot of things. :D :confused:

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Re: Learning "tips and Tricks" for using Sit-On-Tops

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:34 am

If you're in the NW Arkansas region, I would encourage you to come to the Siloam springs kayak park on Aug 15.

From 10-2, we will be holding "quick start" instruction sessions. Just look for me (Tom the video guy) and I will get you on the right track. There should be other instructors as well.

There are in fact many techniques that are universal and researched that are more than best practices. They are "must do" techniques. Most of this is in the strokes and leaning your boat. I tend to separate safety advise from paddling technique. While safety practices are most important, paddling technique will help you operate your boat and body.

Even if you cannot make this event, the best advise I can offer is to get some instruction from a certified ACA instructor. It will help you quickly understand the principals of paddling, saving you years of trial and error.

Cheers.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Social Media