Beautiful Throw

Open Discussion

Paddlegal
Name: paddlegal

Beautiful Throw

Post by Paddlegal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:52 pm

http://i.imgur.com/pU9AUDx.gifv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've felt the touch of healing hands, neath the willow trees and birch, cause the water's my religion, and the river is my church. Kenny

Prairie Tater
Name: Terry Prater

Re: Beautiful Throw

Post by Prairie Tater » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Perfect example of the difference between throwing in front of the swimmer vs. the correct way of throwing behind him. The first two potential rescuers need to go back to school.
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

kayakmamma
Name: Lorraine McPhee

Post by kayakmamma » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:57 am

Very cool footage! Thanks for posting. Throw straight to the swimmer.
Lorraine McPhee

"Catch every eddy, Surf every wave"

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Throw straight to the swimmer.
I don't know how they are teaching throws these days, but I was taught to throw just behind the swimmer. The surface water (where the rescue line is floating) will be moving faster than the swimmer. The line WILL catch up to him or her. Also, if you ARE accurate enough to pinpoint your throw right TO the swimmer, the bag with its contents may hit the victim in the face or head (that actually happened to me once).

Not intending to criticize here, kayakmamma, but that is just the way I was taught. Works good for me.

Peace, out. Terry :angel:
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:07 pm

By the book. :grin:
Attachments
20150614_120354.jpg
20150614_120441.jpg
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Well, I guess there are different methods being taught out there. However, if I'm going to miss the swimmer with my throw, I'd rather miss him/her on the upstream side so that the rope would eventually catch up to him/her. That was the point I was trying to make on the original posted vid. The first two throws were downstream of the victim while the third was upstream. That rope eventually got to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dxD-ttYAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1:12 "...as we throw just upstream of our subject..."

Terry P.

Social Media