ACA level 3 river safety and rescue class June 14th

Open Discussion

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

ACA level 3 river safety and rescue class June 14th

Post by 737driver » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:41 pm

I have had a large interest in this class. It looks like I will be hosting at least two this summer. Due to my work schedule and other things in June, it looks like the 14th is the best bet for me. The 1st World Kayak hometown Throwdown for the season will be held at Dierks on the 13th. What better weekend to hold it than this. We can have fun playboating on Saturday the 13th and then learn river safety and rescue on the 14th. There is a very nice campground at Dierks with RV hookups and restroom facilities. Showers as well. The course fee will be $60. This will be an 8 hour course and we should be done by 4pm. Here is a link to course curriculum. http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.americanca ... skills.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email me at clay@steepcreekrescue.com for registration info. 12 students is the limit and will be first come first serve.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Re: ACA level 3 river safety and rescue class June 14th

Post by 737driver » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Want to ensure that you know how to handle a lazy sunny day float when things turn quickly worse? Think, well I only paddle the tame stuff? Folks, it happens. Over 30 drownings in AR, TX, and OK last month. Two drownings in AR over the weekend on class 1 water. Arkansas ranks #4 in the country in the highest drowning per year. I typically hear "...but I'm a good swimmer and I only paddle the Caddo or Spring river in good weather". How well can you swim after being knocked unconscious from a rock or the side of your boat? How well can you swim through a tree that has blocked the river? How quick can AR weather change? An inch of rain can cause a river to rise a foot or more in less than an hour! Look at the pic below. Many places on the class 1 and 2 water can easily reach these speeds. Can you wade through water that is pushing you at 300 lbs? How can you recover your boat if it now weighs 1500 lbs? All this will be taught in a fun, 8 hour class this Sunday on the lower Saline river at Dierks, AR. All for the price of a steak dinner! Is your life worth a steak dinner? Don't have any gear or a boat? No problem! This is for anyone that spends any time on or around a river! Even if all you ever do is rent. Class fee will be $60. Contact me if you are interested.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433871862.272831.jpg
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Social Media