King's River: Need advice/tips

Open Discussion

LearnedHat
Name: Robert

King's River: Need advice/tips

Post by LearnedHat » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 pm

First, I'm new to this type of thing (at least on such a dedicated level).

I want to float from Marshall Ford to Trigger Gap the weekend before the Fourth of July.

Stipulating average conditions, will there be enough water?

KRO will not shuttle Saturday morning (that distance anyway) - are there any other shuttles for hire?

If I have KRO shuttle me Friday ($120 . . . and I thought $50 to Aintry was high) and wait for the remainder of my party at the Marshall Ford put-in (should make it by 7pm), is there any place close to camp (on the river at the access or proximate down stream?

On Saturday . . . will it just be one loud drunken jerk (I've been one a few times I'm sure) after another on my way into Trigger Gap? I kinda wanted to fish.

Thanks for any help

kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: King's River: Need advice/tips

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Typically the Kings is not runnable from Marshall down by June much less July. However, we have had the wettest May in Arkansas history, so there is no telling. Keep in touch with Ernie at KRO a little before your trip and he will let you know.

The access at Marshall is surrounded by private land. No camping there that I am aware of. I'm sure you could paddle down or up stream a little and find a gravel bar.

The shuttle from KRO to Marshall takes a little less the 2 hours each way. Hence the high price. Can't you run your own shuttle since you have others meeting you? Meet and camp at KRO Friday and in the morning get up and drive to Marshall leaving a car at KRO

The 16 miles from Marshall to Rockhouse you should have the river to yourself practically. The 7 miles from Rockhouse to Trigger Gap is usually pretty busy. I always plan to float through that section later in the day to allow for the renters to stay in front of me. If I time it to pass Rockhouse by about 3 it is usually pretty good.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

LearnedHat

Post by LearnedHat » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:09 pm

kru1 wrote:Typically the Kings is not runnable from Marshall down by June much less July. However, we have had the wettest May in Arkansas history, so there is no telling. Keep in touch with Ernie at KRO a little before your trip and he will let you know.

The access at Marshall is surrounded by private land. No camping there that I am aware of. I'm sure you could paddle down or up stream a little and find a gravel bar.

The shuttle from KRO to Marshall takes a little less the 2 hours each way. Hence the high price. Can't you run your own shuttle since you have others meeting you? Meet and camp at KRO Friday and in the morning get up and drive to Marshall leaving a car at KRO

The 16 miles from Marshall to Rockhouse you should have the river to yourself practically. The 7 miles from Rockhouse to Trigger Gap is usually pretty busy. I always plan to float through that section later in the day to allow for the renters to stay in front of me. If I time it to pass Rockhouse by about 3 it is usually pretty good.

kru
Thank you Kru. I wasn't sure if I knew where to park or if I could trust parking at Marshall Ford or we would try to manage it ourselves. I thought June 27th/28th was late but it was really the only time I could get away. If I had more time I would do the 3 day lower Buffalo but I do not this time.

I'm not worried about the shuttle, it seemed fair enough - I just like that Aintry reference from Deliverance.

The KRO guys have been very helpful on the phone.

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 pm

I have never had a problem at Marshall, parked there many times. The owners of the land are boater friendly. Not to say some a**hole couldn't ruin your float by breaking/damaging your ride, but you face that problem anywhere.

Was gonna post that "this river don't go to Aintry" but I have never floated below Trigger Gap and wasn't sure if there was a take out called Aintry. I thought that was your reference.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

panicman

Post by panicman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:31 am

not sure what shuttle route your taking but it does not take me 2 hrs to do the shuttle from marshall

LearnedHat

Post by LearnedHat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:15 am

As a follow up question:

If the Kings' watershed/basin south of Marble gets good rains this week, should the flow still be adequate by June 27th (assuming little or nominal precip the week of the 21st)?

Rustynuts

Post by Rustynuts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:08 pm

Depends on the section you want to do. From trigger gap down maybe, but the upper river this time of year is usually just good for about three days. Now mix in a few scattered thunder dumpers ......

LearnedHat

Post by LearnedHat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:17 pm

I was just hoping to do Marshall Ford to Trigger and was hoping to only be forced to get out of the boat a half dozen times each day.

Rustynuts

Post by Rustynuts » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Then do it, some folks get grumpy if they even scrape gravel, I like to wade and for most of the way the canoe is really just an equipment sled.

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:38 pm

If we don't get anymore rain between now and your date, Trigger Gap to Highway 62 will be there. It isn't as pretty as above TG but it is good fishing and there are some pretty good camping spots. I usually do it as a over nighter.

Social Media