Pig Trail Closed for Months!

Open Discussion
magicmike
Name: Mike

Pig Trail Closed for Months!

Post by magicmike » Thu May 21, 2015 6:37 am

Just saw on the news. Hiway 23 will be closed for repair between Cass and Brashears.-M-
Last edited by magicmike on Thu May 21, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

magicmike

Re: Pig Trail Closed Today

Post by magicmike » Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 am

Landslide a mile north of Mulberry Mountain Resort.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu May 21, 2015 8:23 am

When I was a pup we moved from Stuttgart to Harrison. I remember finally working up the nerve to ask my dad when we were gonna get to Falling Rock. :ROFL:
You come too.
Robert Frost

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Thu May 21, 2015 8:30 am

That's a little south of the previous, large, landslide that closed the road for a long time and led to a lot of sediment entering the Left Prong of Mountain Creek during construction. Hopefully it's not that extensive.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 am

thanks for the update. planning to camp down there this weekend.

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Thu May 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Closed for several weeks. Just heard on the news. 3 miles of the road between the Mulberry Mountain Lodge and Fly Gap road are sagging and cracking. -M-

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Thu May 21, 2015 5:34 pm

I was picturing a landslide across the road from what they said this morning. No matter what, now we gotta take the long way if we want to hit anything down there this weekend. -M- :thumbdown:

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Thu May 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Gonna be a" bummer man" for some unsuspecting Wakarusa goers, I'm guessing. -M- ;)

Smo_Off
Name: Cory Tracy

Re: Pig Trail Closed for Months!

Post by Smo_Off » Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 pm

:( :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :(
Not Good
I hope it doesn't hurt Turner Bend too bad
My Favorite River is the one that I'm paddling.

Cory

Paddlegal
Name: paddlegal

Post by Paddlegal » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 pm

There is a kayaker in this news blurb. Is it one of you?

http://www.katv.com/story/29031820/wide ... n-arkansas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A week more of 80% chance of rain in the state and downtown Little Rock already flooded.
I've felt the touch of healing hands, neath the willow trees and birch, cause the water's my religion, and the river is my church. Kenny

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am

Alternate routes to the Mulberry.
Those coming from Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville, Bella Vista, etc.) may want to play it safe by taking I-49 south to I-40 east at Alma, then follow 23 north from I-40 in Ozark.
If you're traveling from Northwest Arkansas and are equipped for dirt roads, you have options. The most direct (and challenging) is to take Highway 23 south as normal to East Fly Gap Road, located just before the road closure. East Fly Gap Road takes you over a rough patch to Morgan Mountain Road. Follow this south a few miles and turn east on Highway 215 to Byrd's.
You can also turn south at Combs on Mill Creek Road (2/101) and follow it to east Fane Creek Road (1520) to Cass.
Other "scenic" county road options can be found from St. Paul, Pettigrew, Boston, Fallsville, and Salus.
Go Play!

Owl

Post by Owl » Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 am

Dan Daniel wrote:Alternate routes to the Mulberry.
Those coming from Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville, Bella Vista, etc.) may want to play it safe by taking I-49 south to I-40 east at Alma, then follow 23 north from I-40 in Ozark.
If you're traveling from Northwest Arkansas and are equipped for dirt roads, you have options. The most direct (and challenging) is to take Highway 23 south as normal to East Fly Gap Road, located just before the road closure. East Fly Gap Road takes you over a rough patch to Morgan Mountain Road. Follow this south a few miles and turn east on Highway 215 to Byrd's.
You can also turn south at Combs on Mill Creek Road (2/101) and follow it to east Fane Creek Road (1520) to Cass.
Other "scenic" county road options can be found from St. Paul, Pettigrew, Boston, Fallsville, and Salus.
Go Play!

I might add that your phone or GPS may or may not show those forest roads. You may need one of these:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... ?item=4535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 pm

+1 on the Gazetteer! It'll take you anywhere you want to go. -M- :thumbup:

tdpitts
Name: Tom

Post by tdpitts » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 am

I saw a note on the Turner Bend page that 23 has one lane open through the previously closed area.

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Closed again. Road dropped another 4 feet last night.

Social Media