Subaru roof rack

Open Discussion

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Subaru roof rack

Post by justanovice » Sun May 17, 2015 3:28 pm

As our daughter prepares to embark for college, we bought our first Subaru (Outback) since she will be taking my car. We had researched vehicles for close to three years knowing that I would need to replace my Honda. We chose the Subaru for two reasons. 1.) It should be able to handle the roads better when snow days hit. 2.) It would better suit my love of kayaking. Here is the problem. Subaru doesn't make bars yet for the 2015 model, and they won't for quite a few months. Subaru does not recommend attaching a boat to the stock roof rack. (I know, liability.) But has anyone tied their boat to the roof racks? How did it go? Do you advise it? (No, I won't hold you legally responsible.) I just hate taking the trailer if I'm only taking one boat or if I know I'm going to be in a tight area. If it matters or helps, my boat is a Liquid Logic Remix XP 9 and weighs about 48 pounds. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Sandy
Sandy S.

sig
Name: Bryan

Re: Subaru roof rack

Post by sig » Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 pm

When we owned a Subaru (spits on ground) (long story) (good luck with yours) we used the rail grabber things Yakima makes with Yakima bars.

http://www.yakima.com/product/details/railgrab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bryan Signorelli

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:38 pm

We have a 2014 and it may be different from yours but we had to retro fit one of the Yakima landing pads. Not that big of deal. Subaru pissed Yakima off by changing there factory rack not long after Yakima tooled up to build the old old style.... That came from Yakima. Are yours the swing away factory cross bars?
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Mon May 18, 2015 3:06 am

If you decide to use the factory bars,
consider supporting them between the bars and the roof.
Some mini-cell foam cut to size....
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 am

We own a 2014 and 2015 Outback (does not spit on ground). There's a very inexpensive solution. I'm at work right now, so I can't down load photos. It involves 4 Subaru bike mout clips, a Yakima bar clip, Yakima bars. 4 bolts, and four small pieces of 2"x2" (prreferably plastic). You can pm me and I'll return photos.

Brent

Dr. Steve Yaney

Post by Dr. Steve Yaney » Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 am

I use kayak stackers mounted to the factory bars and have had no problem with 2 kayaks. I also have mounted a canoe directly to the factory bars as well. I sold a canoe the other day to a guy in an Outback and he also mounted it directly to the factory bars. I have mounted the Thule straps under the hood for font tie downs and then use the Thule loops that you close the back hatch on for back tie downs. Also in the bumper is the small square plastic piece that comes out and you screw the tow bolt into ( one on the front and one in the back) that also work well for end tie downs. Subaru had the commercial with the dirty Outback and dirty Dagger approach mounted directly to factory crossbars a couple of years ago with the newer style factory rack. Go for it!

Pate
Name: Pate

Post by Pate » Mon May 18, 2015 11:59 am

I second sigs comment we have a 2014 XV cross trek and installed the (rail grabber things) they work great.

Dr. Steve Yaney

Post by Dr. Steve Yaney » Mon May 18, 2015 2:03 pm

Rail grabbers will not work on newer style Outbacks.

Social Media