Three Creek Updates......Trees Or No Trees???

Open Discussion

Ryan Center
Name: ozarkpaddler

Three Creek Updates......Trees Or No Trees???

Post by Ryan Center » Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 am

Was quite surprised how clean White Rock Creek was. There was only one tree issue that was all the way across the creek, but was very easily in sight and avoidable.

Stepp Creek has wood in various places and requires a lot of bank scouting before running the bigger drops. There is clean lines but really needs to be looked at before dropping into them, because there are lines that could result in serious consequences if ran in wrong areas. The biggest drop, Eight Seconds is a must scout. There is a root ball in one of the lines on the right and after making the move left, you have to have great boat control to get back right for the exit line at the bottom has a tree across there, but with some controlled boating you can get back right.

Little Mill creek has lots of wood as well and until someone can get in with a chainsaw, don't make the hike into Rocket Slide on the end of Fern Gulley (my favorite Little Mill access), cause there are some BIG trees in the lead in and in the boxed in grotto in the exit pool. It would be a VERY difficult boat exit to get out of this area.

Man, what a great last three days of Arkansas paddling!!!!! Wish I didn't have to go back to work today!

Benji
Name: Ben Maguire

Re: Three Creek Updates......Trees Or No Trees???

Post by Benji » Wed May 13, 2015 10:34 am

Just a heads up, Mill Creek has A LOT of wood in it. The good rapids were clean for the most part but the boogie in between was trashed. Probably a dozen or more portages...

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun May 17, 2015 10:09 am

Yep, I've got a six pack for anyone who helps trees blocking Fern Gulley find new homes outside of the creekbed. We had a low-runnable level on it Monday morning, but opted for White Rock Cr. - one hell of a "consolation prize"! - partly because we knew the end of the creek is choked with wood.

Osage was clean in the big drops but had some wood issues in-between those last time we ran it. Anyone know the wood situation in Bobtail? How about Barberry and Long Branch? Beech? Also, I would have been aiming for the big-drops on Boen Gulf Mon morning, but the last report I heard there was that there were serious tree issues. That still true?

- Fish

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Sun May 17, 2015 10:21 am

how was l mill below the confluence?

will try to work on rocket slide but creek cleaning season is running out

panicman

Post by panicman » Tue May 19, 2015 9:13 am

beach has no real wood issues. Poison ivey is about waster high now.

Social Media