Siloam Springs Kayak Park Fishing Ordinance

Open Discussion

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Siloam Springs Kayak Park Fishing Ordinance

Post by Charles1967 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:08 pm

This was not the response I was hoping for. After being 'cast around' last month by fishermen, then seeing a snagged line get cut across the top wave a few weeks ago, I wrote a couple of Emails just assuming signs hadn't been put up yet. Finding out there is no preventative ordinance did surprise me. If you agree with me on the assertion that allowing fishing within the park in the features and pools is dangerous to boaters and swimmers, then please let your voice be heard.
KayakParkFishingResponse.jpg
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

magicmike
Name: Mike

Re: Siloam Springs Kayak Park Fishing Ordinance

Post by magicmike » Thu May 07, 2015 1:29 pm

I just hope it doesn't take a terrible accident with someone drowning while entangled in monofilament fishing line to make the city realize that concentrated fishing has no business being encouraged around kayakers, swimmers and tubers. By not discouraging fishing, it becomes passive encouragement. -M- :twocents: :myday"
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:00 pm

Apparently this was talked about at the last ACC meeting I missed. I've heard they are wanted "photos of fishermen being bad" to react. Which to me is just ludicrous. Crazy. ...and other words.

Siloam Springs has limited 'public' access to the Illinois river. Meaning none. The new/rare access - the "Kayak Park" is bringing in a LOT of new fishermen. Easy parking. Easy access. If they want this to become a 'fishing park', then it won't be long before this is all hooks, lines, and sinkers and you'll have fewer people willing to travel from out of town to give it a try. In my opinion.

City government are good folks in Siloam Springs, but they may not be kayakers and/or recreational users of the river. If made to understand the proliferation of fishing and the dangers that brings would affect visitation, events, and possible training opportunities at the park...it seems some well written letters to that effect might have an impact. Matter of fact, I think the city response is encouraging that communication.

Anybody who agrees, I would ask them to Email Siloam Springs and:

1) Site examples of other public water locations designated for personal craft and/or swimming where fishing is prohibited.

2) Convey any past experience with dangers allowing fishing in public waters designated for personal water craft and swimming.

3) Safety Leaders - Write eloquently of any dangers, site examples, and give your opinion on how this might affect training opportunities at the location.

4) Training Leaders - Write even more eloquently of dangers, site examples, and give your opinion of how this might affect paddling & safety training opportunities.

** Remember, I know Siloam Springs is NOT the enemy. They are learning just like we are. My personal opinion is naming this the "Kayak Park" was an important statement, and keeping this from becoming the 'public fishing park' is equally important to the growth of this park as a paddling, learning, and boating event resource for Arkansas.

Ok...I'll shut up now!

Thank you.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Thu May 07, 2015 2:13 pm

I don't like to see hooks, strings, barb wire , anchors or any other trash left in the river here at the SSKP or any river! Yet we still pick up tons every year out of all the rivers around here. This fishing at the whitewater park is a question of respect. Would the people fishing out there like someone throwing hooks with strings attached to them at there kids, parents, sisters , brothers , love ones or friends ? How about wading out after a fish only to get hung up on someone's else's hook? There is plenty of room out there to fish other than in the two surfing waves or the two pools that boaters & swimmers are. If no ones there ok fish it yet if you lose a hook, GO GET IT OUT of the RIVER where everyone swims and/or boats. Next thing you know you'll get stuck by your own disrespect for others.

Respect!!! If someone is throwing hooks, with bait on them towards anyone it's not because there wanting to catch fish! It's because they are disrespecting everyone including thier self, there own family & the Siloam Springs Kayak Park itself !
Yet this is everywhere on any lake or river!

Fishers . Do you like jet skis to run around your boat when your fishing ? How about someone cutting your lines ?
Everyone should respect everyone. This is a kayaking park, not a fishing park. There is a ton of fish upstream & downstream of the park. Why do you insist on fishing the park where your kids swim . Disrespect
See ya on the water,
Rob

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Thu May 07, 2015 2:23 pm

There are known issues with fishing at the WW park.
Not only the direct problem of active fishing around boaters
but also the added dangers of abandoned fishing lures, line and hooks remaining a danger after the fishermen leave.
The person who is responsible for making the decision is Greg Neely. Contacts below.
Greg has been a pleasure to work with as he lead the Safety Committee last year in making all the decisions that have improved the park to where it is now. He is responsive and well reasoned. Please take this into consideration when you contact him about the current issue.
I would ask for anyone who wants their views on this issue to email him and voice your opinion in a calm reasonable manner.
Any photos you have that would help support your views can be attached to the same email.

Let's pursue this line of communication before moving on to any other means.
Thanks,
and feel free to contact me at anytime with any issue pertaining to the park....

gneely@siloamsprings.com
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks Steve. :clap:

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:05 am

Just my two cents, but It might be better to go to the city as a 700 family group (the ACC). I have found you can get more done with a big group than several individuals.
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Sun May 10, 2015 12:52 pm

i heard kayakers were biting on vienna sausage

Chrissy
Name: Chrissy Dennis

Post by Chrissy » Mon May 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I sent an email to Greg Neely (gneely@siloamsprings.com), but got a response back from Jim Wilmeth (chiefwilmeth@siloamsprings.com). I've included the response.
Attachments
image.jpg
- Chrissy Dennis

Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel » Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 am

Well, Jim may want to do some more research...
"The Illinios River is a state resource. It is not classified as a navigable river according to state law".
Where is a state law classifying any river or creek in AR as navigable? Navigability is determined by use, and the Illinios has been used for commerce and recreation for generations. To say it's not navigable boggles my mind, and coming from the police chief? WOW!
He does make a good point about "ownership". The last several times I've been out there, it's only been me and my group, and fishermen. Way more fisherman than paddlers. Why is this? I think it's a combination of our natural rivers and creeks being up, and, the fact that the waves and play features are just not what we have been told they would be. I propose that if the waves were better( or, as of now, actually existed), we( paddlers) would be out there more. Honestly, if there was something dynamic out there to really play on, I'd be out there pretty much every day I wasn't on a natural river or creek. As of now, it's just a place to get a workout in, but not much to get excited about. We were even told that as the level drops the waves would improve, but they haven't. I do hold out hope that the recent floods will scour the site and hopefully leave us with two sweet features we can get fired-up about, and proud of. Then we will be there every day that our natural rivers and creeks aren't running, and it will become ours.
It's in my opinion that we( paddlers) need to take ownership of the sight. Always set the example for other river users with safety and respect for the site. Go in numbers, and be sure of yourselves when you talk with fishermen about safe practices and respect, and never, ever hesitate to call the police. Paddling your kayak or canoe on the waves can never be construed as assault, tossing a barbed hook at someone will never be anything but assault.
This is what we're working with. The battle for a sweet Ford continues...

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue May 12, 2015 8:04 am

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that any state or local official could possibly consider the Illinois non navigable- there is a U.S. Supreme Court case directly stating that this river section is navigable (Arkansas v. Oklahoma), which is rare. The city can certainly restrict what occurs on its riparian tract but cannot control what people do who wade off-tract. Now whether that will ever occur probably will depend on if the city actually consults a competent lawyer about the issue, which is no guarantee

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Post by 737driver » Tue May 12, 2015 9:20 pm

This has been the case at Rockport. However, the kayakers tend to disrupt the fishing enough that they move on down after we show up. I really think that you don't want more regulations. I boat rockport weekly as long as it's going. When I see fisherman in the wave, I usually approach them and ask how this fishing is. 100% reply with "I haven't caught anything". I then tell them that I'm going to start off practicing some rolls and then ease over into the wave. I say I will try not to scare the fish as long as you don't hook me. It usually ends with both of is laughing and the fisherman shortly moving downstream. So I agree with Rob. Respect. Respect them and you get respect. Something I've always known, but have more recently discovered how it works!
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Social Media