memorial float for JPH

Open Discussion

boba
ACC Conservation

memorial float for JPH

Post by boba » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:56 am

I received the following and said I would coordinate with others in the acc who would like to join us for a short float - Lin is particularly interested in folks with rafts to take passengers.

anybody in? let me know, thanx
---------------------------------

The Ozark River Stewards have proposed to host a remembrance of John Paul Hammerschmidt on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. We have reserved the pavilion at Ozark Access, and our tentative plans call for an informal gathering to honor the man for his part in protecting the river from becoming another project of the Army Corps of Engineers. This will be from 2 O'clock until perhaps 2:30 with some time to mingle and have refreshments. We will have note cards for anyone wishing to write a thank you note to his family for the legacy he left behind. Mike Masterson has said he will try his best to attend as well.

Then we are inviting all who wish to join us in a slow float from Ozark to Pruitt Landing. We plan to have streamers, banners and balloons and wildflowers to decorate the procession of boats.

As part of these plans, we would like to invite Ed Bethune, Former Senator Pryor, and others who worked with JPH to join us, and thought it would be lovely to be able to offer them seats on canoes or rafts so they could float this short but lovely section and be reminded of why it was (and is) important to protect it.

So we are looking for people to bring and captain canoes and/or rafts so that we may offer this as an option. I don't want to promise something I can't deliver! Can you help us find folks willing to do this? I'd also like to invite members of the press, and thought the odds of getting someone to cover it might go up if they were also offered a taste of what makes the Buffalo such a magical place.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions about what we are planning, and if you can help us with this plan, I would love to hear from you.

Gordon and several BRWA members have also expressed interest in helping and we are hoping to have representatives from the ACC and Friends of the Buffalo, Park proponents etc. come be a part of this on May 24th.

Thanks in advance,

Lin Wellford

--------------------------------------------
Bob Allen, ACC member since ~1984

http://ozarker.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: memorial float for JPH

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Please put me down as a probably. Just have to check the calendar. If in I can row a couple or three guests down and provide a purty purple tandem canoe if anyone wants to paddle it.
You come too.
Robert Frost

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Re: memorial float for JPH

Post by fryingsquirrel » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 am

Count me in as a tentative yes. Will likely solo and bring my camera.
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Social Media