Wich scool is right for me ?

Open Discussion

Rustynuts

Wich scool is right for me ?

Post by Rustynuts » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 am

Ok, so maybe it's time I get a little instructional training. So just how intense is SWWP? But first a little info on myself, 44 married with three boys 15,12,9. Last year we logged as a family 216 river miles, many close to home on Kings River, the kids and wife have really been getting into it and we only missed two weekends from March through October so I am no stranger to the stern seat. BUT.... All has been learn as we go... So as we have spread out to other rivers we have come across water with much more strength and energy than my usual 2-300 cfs runs here. So last month I came home with a solo canoe, a Mad River Outrage x, and here's a news flash, that thing is VERY different from paddling the back of a 17 foot tandem. So will SWWP on mulberry be good for a total WW novice or should I sign up for the Spring River class in June this year ?

So all this stems from my being witness/helper in march to a Kayak and paddler pinned under a giant rock on Mulberry known as Al's twist. As I floated past the big rock a fellow was standing on the smaller upstream rock holding onto the end of a rec kayak and he didn't say anything but I could see in his eyes he needed help. So I parked on the rocks on the outside of the bend an climbed back towards him, when I got on top of the big rock I looked down to realize he was holding the water filled boat and the boat was pushing a woman into the gap between the rocks. When I looked down and saw her the strange thought of "Why is her hair sticking up in the air like that" caused me to stand there like a rock for a few moments until I realized she had her thighs trapped between the rocks and with her back to the current the water was streaming up over her back and head . Today that moment really bothers me as I feel like I just stood there wasting time. Once I jumped down the two of us were able to pull the boat back enough to free her, but I cant help thinking how it may have ended.

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Re: Wich scool is right for me ?

Post by prophet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:46 am

the SWWP would be appropriate

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:21 pm

prophet wrote:the SWWP would be appropriate
Agreed, but I'm pretty sure it's closed. There is a waiting list and my guess is being a solo canoeist will improve your odds of getting in. Email Joe Goodwin for info on that. If you can't get in to WW school plan to attend River School. You'll find it very helpful and a lot of fun.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Marcell Jones
ACC Canoe School Director

Post by Marcell Jones » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm

The Solo Canoe Registration is still open.

Go to the ACC's main page, Events, then School of Whitewater Paddling to review the information regarding the school.

You will find the registration on the last page.

Chris Handley is the person to contact regarding the Canoe Course at the School.

Marcell Jones, Director
SWWP

CSH
ACC Member at Large
Name: Chris Handley

Post by CSH » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Please contact me via email and we can discuss chris.handley@terracon.com
Chris Handley

CSH
ACC Member at Large
Name: Chris Handley

Post by CSH » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Also, read this article
http://www.arkansascanoeclub.com/page-1752760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and consider taking a swiftwater rescue class, see here for some information about what could be expected in this type of class. More classes will be available in June/August of this year as well

http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =1&t=27510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris Handley

Social Media