emerald ash borers & firewood

Open Discussion

Butch Crain

emerald ash borers & firewood

Post by Butch Crain » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:17 am

Ash isn't a real prevalent species in North Louisiana or Arkansas but they are beautiful trees and make excellent furniture stock, baseball bats, veneer AND firewood

Unfortunately the emerald Ash Borer is an exotic beetle that may do to ash what the chestnut blight did to chinquapin

It's pretty important that conservation minded folk at minimum help reduce this risk by not moving firewood among different locations including campsites

this site is a little outdated (Louisiana has currently had some findings of beetles) but it does give more info:

http://stopthebeetle.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps: this would also be an excellent topic for local ACC meeting speakers - feel sure that state forestry, forest service, or any of the local universities would have experts that would be glad to come talk to a conservation group about this and other invasives

robkanraft

Re: emerald ash borers & firewood

Post by robkanraft » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:36 pm

I carried my own firewood for years. A few years ago we packaged up small pieces of oak for each raft to carry on a on Western trip and were informed by the launch ranger that it was illegal to bring your own firewood into federally managed areas. I think I have seen similar signs posted on the Buffalo? I do understand the logic behind it, so we leave our wood at home now when boating and camping in Arkansas.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:29 am

Hey Butch,
The newspapers here ran stories on the Emerald Ash Borer several months ago. With many fine examples of Ash trees existing today, it's always good to post reminders, thanks.
My farm, down in Clark County, is in one of the six counties with confirmed infestations. Marlo and I have a really nice-sized Ash here in our yard in Benton and it's one of my favorite trees on the place. Ours is probably in the 70 year old range and I would sure miss it.

Best Regards
Jim

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:07 am

We have the same prohibitions on firewood transport here in SW Idaho. It makes good sense. In fact we have "port of entry" inspections of any boat coming into the state checking for invasive species (aquatics). Moving out here pulling my canoe trailer I had to stop for inspections at the borders of Montana, Utah and Idaho for an inspection. And here in Idaho I am supposed to buy an annual "Invasive species" sticker each year to help fund the inspection and eradication efforts.

Beetle infestations are a concern most everywhere now. Our National Forests here all preclude importing firewood from outside. Luckily, most float areas have plenty of downed wood and driftwood that carrying in wood isn't needed. And high traffic campgrounds have local suppliers so that you can buy local wood if needed. I've personally gone to using a small collapsible titanium twig stove so that the wood needed is down to a double handful of twigs easily collected anywhere, even in high traffic areas. It is the small stuff most folks either overlook or consider firestarting tender. Plus the stove concentrates the heat, limits sparks and burns with little smoke. It also has a bottom baseplate so it doesn't leave soot and fire scars on rocks and gravel bars. One of my contributions to LNT backcountry ethics. It doesn't always comply with fire bans, but one Ranger in a Tennessee State Park agreed it was good enough and gave me permission to use it during a fire ban there. I usually also carry a backpacker's mini gas stove just in case though.

Barry Thomas
Name: Barry Thomas

Post by Barry Thomas » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 am

Here is the link from the national parks service in regards to the Buffalo. Please leave firewood at home.
http://www.nps.gov/buff/planyourvisit/firewood.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:59 am

codger,

Please post up the manufacturer of that neat little stove you use.

Looks like it would work well here in AR and OK.

and, last fall when we did the Upper MO lewis and clark Montana float, seems like we had a couple of those canoe inspections for invasive critters.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am

okieboater wrote:codger,

Please post up the manufacturer of that neat little stove you use.

Looks like it would work well here in AR and OK.

and, last fall when we did the Upper MO lewis and clark Montana float, seems like we had a couple of those canoe inspections for invasive critters.

dave
That is an Emberlit. I bought mine direct from the maker and it is a very early production model made from titanium (5.5 ounces).
http://www.emberlit.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also come in less expensive stainless steel. You can buy direct but I think they are also available in some outdoor stores now. I saw one in our local Sportsman's warehouse here the other day. I am reviewing a new stove by a different maker right now but can't recommend it yet. I have no reservations about the Emberlit however. The five panels hook together with slots and disassemble into a package the size of a CD soft case. In fact it will fit in a coat pocket. I can give more info on it from personal experience if you are interested. However Mikhale's website gives most of the information and he can be trusted to shoot straight. A great guy.

The twig stove is a great alternative to a full blown campfire and I can make a nice breakfast (coffee, biscuits, sausage or bacon and eggs) on it in very little time and with a few handfuls of twigs. It isn't approved for fire bans in some areas, but it does satisfy LNT ethics. Burns are generally very complete leaving only a handful of ash to scatter.

Michael

Social Media