Bell Canoe

Open Discussion

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

Bell Canoe

Post by lwe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:32 am

Anyone know anything about these canoes? Occasionally my wife would like to go with me.
Does this seem to be a reasonable price?
Thanks for any input,
Wayne

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4954243075.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Re: Bell Canoe

Post by Lupe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:55 am

Looks like a Yellowstone although later I think they were called something else...Wildfire? Anyway - that's a great price for the boat especially with foot brace installed and what appears to be great condition. Depending on size of the paddler, beginners tend to find the boat a little tippy, but that will subside with seat time and experience (and a smaller paddler might not find it as tender from the get go).

I bet it will go fast...

Cheers,
Heather aka Lupe
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 pm

I agree with Heather. If it is in as good of condition as it appears, it is an excellent price. IIRC the Yellowstone is a Royalex version of my Morningstar, David Yost designs. I love my Morningstar. And there will be no more Royalex canoes. Or Bell Canoe Works canoes. Ted Bell now makes composite only canoes with his new Northwoods company.

Michael

ETA: I note that the Yellowstone is set up for a solo paddler only. My Morningstar is set up with three stations and paddles well either solo or tandem. The seats and drops can be bought from Ed's Canoes online and are simple to install.

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Jump on that one for sure. Price is right. What Codger said.
:myday" :twocents:
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

Post by lwe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Bottom of hull, any concerns?
Thank for all the input,
Wayne
Attachments
IMG_0332.jpg
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 pm

lwe wrote:Bottom of hull, any concerns?
Thank for all the input,
Wayne
Nah, not that I can see Wayne. That little bit of wear (white spot) is only of concern if you are going to be doing a lot of rocky stream paddling in which case it will continue to wear unless you install Kevlar bang strips, again, an easy project. The hull creases I see aren't bad at all. My Morningstar is the "White Gold" FG composite layup and the craft is nimble enough, if you have any skill, to avoid most rocks and obstructions. It also does eddy turns like a champ, and because of the significant Yost tumblehome, has excellent secondary stability. If you are like me, you'll soon be looking for an old beater canoe to use as a loaner when friends come along or want to borrow. You won't want to loan this one out!

Michael

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:37 am

Six bills? You'd better have bought that by now (if someone didn't beat you to it).
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media