RIP Bob Stout

Open Discussion
Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Re: RIP Bob Stout

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:37 pm

What a good man Bob was. Just really a good man. I will miss him very much. I had the pleasure of paddling with him on many a stream including a multi day trip on the Yampa in Colorado. He was always a treat to have close by. When I grow up I want to be like Bob.
Skoboten!

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:29 pm

I am truly sorry to hear of our loss of Bob Stout.
I can't say exactly when I first met him, but I was surely a kid. I recall all the times on the Buffalo I shared with him growing up with great fondness.
I think one of the last times I paddled with him was on the lower Buffalo with the Ozark Society. As we came into Rush, word trickled down that someone in our group was having chest pains, and a John Boat was quickly unloaded and sent upstream. There happened to be a Ranger at Rush with a group of boy scouts, and he radioed in for EMTs. It was Bob Stout in the boat when it came back. Not a heart attack, though. He had drank a can of Coke earlier that day and was not used to the caffeine!
I will also miss his Dutch Oven cobblers. That man was to cobblers, what Walter Felton is to margaritas!
Rest in peace on that great river in the sky, Bob.
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:09 pm

Meet Bob Stout on the Piney. He was one of those that you like knowing was on the river with you at the same time. He added the safety and pleasant factor.
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

KimL

Post by KimL » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Bob was father to me when my own wasn't there. The past five years I've spent a lot of time on my blood dad as he's gone through health issues. I felt awful knowing I hadn't seen Bob recently, until I realized that perhaps he'd been with me in spirit as I stepped into a few young people's lives the same way he did for me. I miss you, Papa Bob, and I'll always be trying to make you proud.

Liz Caldwell

Post by Liz Caldwell » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 am

The original post has a link to Bob's obituary, but I am posting it here as well. I work with Bob's daughter, Mindy Stout, and she wanted me to be sure and let "his old canoe club buddies" know in case any would want to attend the memorial service Saturday, March 28 at 2p in Clinton at the Roller-McNutt Funeral Home.

Mr. Bobby Olan Stout

February 1, 1935 - March 20, 2015
Bobby Olan Stout 80, of Conway, Arkansas passed away Friday, March 20, 2015. He was born February 1, 1935 in Elk City, Oklahoma to Lloyd Milton and Ola Mae (Bailey) Stout.

He was a member of the Clinton United Methodist Church and was a U.S. Air Force retired veteran.

He was preceded in death by his parents, one sister, Eva Maude Stout, four brothers, Velvin Stout, Troy Stout, Orville Stout, and Clyde Stout.

He is survived by his loving wife of 58 years Wilma Jo (Lawson) Stout, son, Robert (Rhonda)Stout of Perryville, AR; two daughters, Lezlie Stout of Clinton, AR; and Melinda Stout of North Little Rock, AR; six grandchildren, William, David, Anastasia, Kayla, Colby, and Nate, nine great-grandchildren and many close friends.

Memorial Service will be 2:00pm Saturday, March 28, 2015 at Roller-McNutt Funeral Home Chapel Clinton, Arkansas with Pastor George Odell officiating.

Cremation and Memorial Arrangements are under the care and direction of Roller McNutt Funeral Home of Clinton, Arkansas. Online guest book: http://www.rollerfuneralhomes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liz

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Anyone who paddled with Bob Stout came away with fond memories of that trip. Susan and I feel lucky to have gotten to paddle with him, and to have tasted his and David Reid's dutch oven desert duel. I think my favorite trip with Bob was when we left our group to "shepherd" some folks who were totally clueless and down right dangerous to themselves and anyone near them on a Ponca to Kyles trip. 6 people in 2 canoes. Bob and I each took a child with their parents pleading/blessings (they were desperate enough to hand them over to total strangers) so there would be 2 less to drown and then we looked after the parents as we wanted to be able to give the children back. My excuse was I already had a red headed child and did not need a second. I think Bob's excuse was that he didn't think they had much resale value. We were about the last ones off the river that day, but our shuttle was set and those folks left the river that day having good thoughts about a good experience, rather than probably NOT getting off the river and having a really bad day and rainy night. They did learn how to do it better as they listened to us calmly telling them how to do it better. Bob did calm and patient explanations very well. I am sure they came back to be safer paddlers on future trips and carried duct tape of their own, bailers, a spare paddle, and better PFD's for everyone. And did not go down to Kyles in a two wheel drive car after heavy rains again after I towed them in 6 places on the way out with my suburban. They did give me back all my "spare" clothes, and learned not to wear cotton on the river. I will always remember Bob sitting around the campfire with a smile on his face as he remembered other trips, people, and favorite meals.

Eric Esche

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 am

I don't have as many "early" memories of Bob as some, but I can certainly confirm what others have said about him being just a good person and someone that made your day better because you got to share it with him. I really admired the way that he kept paddling even as age made it more and more difficult to paddle the way he wanted to. But he didn't just quit as so many do - he kept at it, and set a great example for all of us as to how to live your life, both on and off the river. (Married 58 years - and I know he cared for his wife when things were getting difficult for her, until it became necessary for others to care for him instead. That tells you something.)
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

RobStout

Post by RobStout » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:54 pm

On behalf of the family I would like to thank all of you for the wonderful stories you have shared about my dad. He truly loved this group and the members of. Even though he wasn't with you guys the last few years in body, you can bet he was in spirt. He had photos everywhere of your adventures together and I can tell you there were two things he loved to talk about to people when he was out....the Travels with the Air Force and his tails of being on a river some where.
None of us know what Haven will be like when we get there but one thing is for certain, if there is any kind of flowing water up there you can bet dad is doing his best to find a raft or canoe.
Again Thank you all for the stories, when we are all gone that's all we will have left, the memories and stories we can always cherish!
God Bless,
Robbie Stout

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Robbie,

The stories about your Dad's adventures told here is just a small part of all the things Bobbie accomplished.

I am one of many boaters who had more Bob Stout stories than we could ever write up

dave reid

And then there was the time Bob shut off his aircraft radio and spent time on a training mession checking out the area around Glass Mountain outside of Enid just looking for new places to hunt. I would have loved to been there to hear his excuse when the commanding officer asked what was going on.
or
the time he took a two wheel drive little car hunting up in the northern rockies and got caught in a blizzard. What did Bob do, hunkered down, made a fire and brewed up a hot drink there in the snow.

and

I could go on and on as I am sure others reading this can.

We all loved to spend time with Bob and for sure he will be missed by all his river buds.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Post by T Yamashita » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Really sorry to hear about this. I always looked forward to running into him on the river or at rendezvous, etc.. I still think about the trip we took down the south fork of the little red. Great trip & loads of other great memories.
We'll be missing you on the rivers!
ty
:beer:

GN YAKN

Post by GN YAKN » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 am

Bob was always helpful to Cindy and I at Rendezvous. He would volunteer to run the Rendezvous store. I think Carly even called him Papa!

Gordon will remember for sure, but, I think Bob build the great squirrel cage tumbler for the raffle tickets.

We should all live our lives in such a graceful fashion. It is so nice to read all of these warm tributes. Also nice to know his family is able to see them all.

Dave
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm

I am truly sorry to hear of Bobs passing. My first meeting with him was our first rec school and he was our instructor along with a Mike Coogan. He really was a great man and will be missed. I just saw this posting today. RIP Bob

Karla Rowland

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Bob and I cooked many a dutch oven dish together. I lost count. I was asked about Bob's Cobbler at the Funeral Service in Clinton last Sat. I thought about sending this out to every one as this dish has become one of my most requested desserts. Thinking about it tho, Bob would be honored I think, if we all cooked this cobbler up and remembered the good times we all shared with Bob.

Bob told me this and I wrote it up. Bob found the recipe up in the family barn in western OK and converted it to Bisquik from scratch.

Here goes and enjoy.

DEEP DISH/DUTCH OVEN COBBLER original recipe from Bob Stout's Grandmom in western Oklahoma Indian Territory

1 & 1/2 Sticks of Oleo (melted)
2 Cups Bisquick
1 & 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 & 1/2 Cups Milk
1 29 oz Can of Fruit Cocktail
1 21 oz Can of Cherry Pie Filling
(Note:  You can use about four cups of any type of fruit.), or if you need a larger cobbler, you can add another small can of fruit cocktail.

Melt Oleo in Dutch Oven.  Combine Bisquick, Sugar, & Milk into a smooth batter & pour into center of melted Oleo (DO NOT STIR!!!) Pour fruit into center & around batter.  BAKE.....

Above is Bob Stout's Grandmom's handwritten recipe Bob found in the barn and converted to Bisquick instead of scratch.

Here is the way I make it in a GSI 12 inch Dutch.
I use one stick of real butter (more and it takes a long time to cook out)
I stir in a bit more bisquick till it is thicker dough but still flows
I use the standard size can of cherry pie filling
I use a big can of sliced peaches
I use a standard sized can sliced peaches
I put in cinnamon to taste
I sprinkle on a layer of brown sugar after everything is in
Would work with other fruit as well but one of the cans should be pie filling

if I have any left over fresh fruit/berries in the cooler, I just cut it up and toss it in. One of the better cobblers I remember was we had a big box of fresh blue berries left in the cooler towards the end of the float. I tossed them in with a bit more sugar and man that one was really good.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm

The last time I ran the Mulberry a few years ago, I hung back and chatted with Bob a lot of the time. He was one of those guys that made you wish you'd met him sooner and that there were more like him in the world.

Beverly

Post by Beverly » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:27 pm

I am amazed reading everyone's memories of Bob. He was so special to so many. Meeting Bob Stout and Richard McFadden when I first started paddling was the best thing that could have happened to me. Many happy trips down the Buffalo with those two, he knew it like the back of his hand. He was an inspiration to me, he was a great adventurer. I sure enjoyed looking at the photographs of him and remember many happy times with Bob.

Social Media