Pool at UALR Week of 2-23-2015: CLOSED and CLOSED

Open Discussion

darkaly
Name: Aly Signorelli

Pool at UALR Week of 2-23-2015: CLOSED and CLOSED

Post by darkaly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Tonight the UALR campus will be closed because of the weather.

They have a swim meet on Saturday, so we can't use the pool on that day.

Aly

JamesHenry
Name: James

Re: Pool at UALR Week of 2-23-2015: CLOSED and CLOSED

Post by JamesHenry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:34 am

Hi,

I am a somewhat experienced kayaker who has recently moved back to Little Rock after college. I have my own boat, and I would like to know how I can get involved with the people in this club (and hopefully go on some trips) without waiting until the last Tuesday in March. I went to the UALR pool a couple times with a friend in August, but we didn't really encounter anyone.

Thank you!

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 am

Hi there James (or Henry!?),

Yeah, the pool is actually not used that much during the summer because with warm weather, most boaters would just as soon be at Rockport (ww play park near Malvern) than at the pool, certainly on Saturdays, and often even during weeknights (plus summer Wed hours are earlier - 5-7pm - which make it harder for working folks to get there for a full session). But the pool sessions are pretty active right now (it just was closed this week). So if there's a session next Wed, I bet there will be a group there and we tend to go out to dinner after the pool each week as well.

When you say "somewhat experienced" kayaker...give us some idea of what you mean (that can mean a lot of different things to different people!). What kind of boat do you have? What kind of waters have you paddled? Do you have cold water gear for paddling this time of year in Arkansas?

Once we know more about you, we could suggest some creeks and rivers to join on. Folks will post trips on the Trip board (but this has been a very dry winter, so there's not much activity). If I don't jinx the forecast, I would expect the Trip board to start getting real active come the end of this weekend into next week if we finally get the expected liquid precipitation. Anyone is welcome to join any posted trip as long as you have determined your skill and your gear are a good match for the expected conditions.

So give us some 411 and we'll give you some idea of what rivers to try to join in on next rain!!!
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:35 am

James
Welcome to the ACC. You will find us a very welcoming and supportive community of paddlers. And, what Heather said.

Tim

JamesHenry

Post by JamesHenry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi Lupe,

Thanks for your detailed response. Specifically, I have a Jackson 4Fun (play boat). I am from Little Rock but went away to college in Maine, and now I am back. In Arkansas, I have basically only paddled on the Mulberry, Big Piney, Cadron, and East Fork of Cadron before. In Maine, I was part of the outing club at my college, Bowdoin College, which had a very involved whitewater paddling group. I paddled mostly class III and below, and I paddled one class IV river a few times (Kennebec River). However, the class IV I paddled was a big deep river with massive waves going through a gorge, so the chances of getting pinned under a rock were lower than on some of the creeks around here I guess. Two years ago I was perfect with my "combat roll," but I'd probably like to go to the pool again before jumping on anything very daring. I have a dry top with gaskets, which usually kept me decently warm on cold rivers in Maine.

Based on what you said, I will probably plan on going to the pool session at UALR this week, and if I'm lucky, joining a trip sometime next week. I'd also like to get a good friend involved who has a boat as well.

James

JamesHenry

Post by JamesHenry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm

If it strikes your curiosity, here is a link to the Kennebec River, referenced above, on the section I paddled multiple times. So fun. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il/id/438/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JamesHenry

Post by JamesHenry » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:30 pm

And sorry Heather, I just realized that you're name here wasn't your actual name. I think you may actually have taught me how to roll sometime back in 2008 at the UALR pool. At least, I think I remember that the lady who taught me one night when I went was named Heather... If you remember a 17 year old showing up with a red kayak randomly, that would have been me.

Social Media