Return of the River

Open Discussion

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

Return of the River

Post by lwe » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 pm

I thought others might find this as interesting as I do.
Wayne

http://www.elwhafilm.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Re: Return of the River

Post by justanovice » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Inspiring...whether it's dams or pigs, we need to save our rivers.
Sandy S.

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:14 am

My wife and I visited the Olympic National Park the summer before last as the second Elwa dam was being torn down. The natives of this area are extremely protective of the wild salmon. They've banned boats on Lake Quinalt to protect the salmon runs. Next up is the Wild Olympics bill to protect the incredible rivers of this region. Wild rivers running through old growth forests. The western rain forests of this region receive around 400" of precipitation a year. Chainsaws are the controversy in this part of our country. Do we really need to cut down the last of the 1,500 year old trees?

Brent

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:19 am

We visited the Olympic Peninsula area over Thanksgiving. Every home in that area has a bright red sign in the yard that says, "Stop the Wild Olympics Land Grab". Lots of anti government/environment sentiment locally.

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

Post by lwe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:21 am

Locally, Abilene Texas is proposing another dam on the Brazos River for municipal water. We have 2 endangered species that need this habitat, the small eye and sharp nose shiner. Living in west Texas, this is not exactly a bastion of environmental activism. I believe money will likely be the ultimate determining factor, other parts of Texas have more population and the resulting political pull for funds.

These endangered species occasionally are brought up at public meetings. The overwhelming response is "it is JUST a minnow".
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

Social Media