Ideal location...

Open Discussion
knxsnr
Name: Randy

Ideal location...

Post by knxsnr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:23 am

So someone asked me if I were to live in Arkansas and wanted to optimize my loaction for outdoor recretation in the form of paddling and mountain biking... where would I choose to live? Also need to consider hiking and rock climbing... I thought of no better place to drop this question than back on the ACC board. We haven't been on the board in a long time (even forgot my web ID) and miss the great chatter that gets going here. So nows your chance to vote, make your voices heard!! It would still be optimal to have a great city to base out of with the common creature comforts... but what is the ideal base camp for the outdoors?!?!

Just fyi, we still miss the great community that the ACC has cultivated over the years. Living in Knoxville we enjoy all the outdoor activities afforded to us year round but the one thing that can't be replaced is how awesome this group is, and we do miss that. We need to make more trips through town and hook back up with the crew again.

Randy C.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Re: Ideal location...

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:09 pm

I can't answer your question reliably but I can tell you that there is nothing, that I have found, that equals the ACC and it's members since moving to Idaho. I am guessing that employment will be a factor as much as recreation in your question?

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Perryville of course.
Parrot Head Paddler

mgood

Post by mgood » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 pm

I'll bite. For just outdoor pursuits- well it's gotta be Russellville- access to all of the ozarks, easy drive to the Ouachitas. For big city location.... I actually think that LR is in a better location in the state than anything in NWA. Plus rockport > the ford (at the current design).

gannon311
Name: jeff gannon

Post by gannon311 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Randy you are very close.. Cherry Hill
Lol

If you don't have to work pelsor would be a good spot!
http://community.webshots.com/user/gannon311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Kayaking - somewhere near the Cossatot (Mena?) since that's the wettest part of the state. Mountain biking would be good but Magazine would be the nearest good rock I think. Next best for kayaking and great for all the other sports - Jasper?

knxsnr
Name: Randy

Post by knxsnr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:55 am

Very interesting thus far, so a couple of votes for LR area and some Southwest Cossatot area. I do love the Jasper area and have some very fond memories of the Buffalo. Actually got engaged on that river and also learned that we need kayaks and cannot canoe well together... but that was ages ago.

What about the Fayetteville scene? Anyone from that part have a chime in on what the draw is to be in the Northwestern side of the state? Looks like it would pull you away from some of the more frequented runs but there seems to be some biking up there. I've lived in two college towns thus far, Norman and Knoxville... Fayetteville get you too far from quick outdoor access?

Randy C.

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:34 am

Fayetteville Rocks! , and everyone knows it.-M- :grin:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:02 pm

NWA : We have the Ford now! which is a great place to go year around. In the summer it gets busy with swimmers & tubers yet still fun. We are about a hr 1\2 from ponca on the buffalo ( good hiking & kayaking), little over a hr to Turner bend on the mulberry, 45min to the frog or lee creek, a good 3hrs from cossatot or richland for the bigger water. NWA is a great place to live with one of the best group of paddlers, bikers & hikers! Im not much into the biking or climbing yet there is a lot of people up here that goes biking & climbing every weekend. Hopefully one of them will speak up on here. Like Mike said NWA ROCKS!!
See ya on the water,
Rob

Prairie Tater
Name: Terry Prater

Post by Prairie Tater » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:39 pm

Did a little research. The Ozark/Clarksville area would probably be more centrally located and accessible to these 10 recreational points. :twocents:

Ozark, AR to:
Cossatot Falls 2hrs. 39mins.
Richland Creek Campground 2hrs. 17mins.
Ponca Low-water Bridge 2hrs. 2mins.
Sam's Throne 1hr. 43mins.
Fisher's Ford 1hr. 41mins.
Bayou Bluff 1hr. 18mins.
White Rock Mountain 1hr. 15mins.
Long Pool 1hr. 6mins.
Devil's Den S.P. 1hr.
Turner's Bend 24mins.
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:04 am

I do not live in the Great State of Arkansas

But, most of my weekends are enjoyed there from Mena up to NW Ark and east along the Boston Mountains to the Spring River. Worked in the Tulsa area off and on since I moved here in mid 70's from North Georgia. Too much invested in home and family here in Jenks to move.

If I did live in Arkansas, my choice would be a few miles east of Fayetteville. Close enough to get to town for all the things it has to offer, but far enough out to enjoy the country and get out of the traffic the City has. (just amazing how that area has added homes and roads).

That location gets you reasonably close to all sorts of fun places and a few hours away from most of the distant runs.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 am

Terry, I can definitely see that you've retired. :poke2:

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Terry, you need to get out more. Time to dust off the paddles and do a little rain dancing!

Brent

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:34 pm

Terry, I can definitely see that you've retired.
Yes, Paul...lots of time for research! :D
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Terry, you need to get out more.
Waiting for spring, Brent. Still not sure about my knee. I increased the saddle height in my Ocoee about one inch. We will see. :crossed:

Social Media