Frog Bayou - New Kayaker Safe Level Recommendation

Open Discussion

LarryT
Name: Larry Tucker

Frog Bayou - New Kayaker Safe Level Recommendation

Post by LarryT » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 am

I appreciate some input on a "safe" level for a newer kayaker. My wife just got a Jackson Zen 55 which is the best one for her size. She has been kayaking on a lake, flat river and down the Buffalo at 22" in a Jackson Rogue. It was too big for her.

I will start her out at 18" - 22" airspace on the Buffalo and "2.5 - 2.8" on the Mulberry and even then take safe lines when possible.

What is a comparable level on the Frog Bayou?

Hopefully she will be at the Jones Center this Saturday to get the kayak fitted and paddle a little.

Larry Tucker

kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: Frog Bayou - New Kayaker Safe Level Recommendation

Post by kru1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:20 am

Which section of the Frog?

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

LarryT

Post by LarryT » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I don't know the sections. I have not been on the river myself.

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Hey Larry, around 2.5 on the frog would be a good level yet it has different characteristics than the buffalo or the mulberry . Before anyone of us would recommend taking a new kayaker down a river we'd go somewhere like the Siloam Springs Kayak Park SSKP to practice our skills in the new boat & roll session. Now we have the option to go to a place that has the features of a river like the buffalo yet our warm car & clothes are near by . I don't know what kind of thermal gear you two have yet it is January & even though we've had some really nice air temps but the water is really cold right now. Places like this gives us a chance to test out our gear to see if it's warm enough for the water temp. Also This way you can outfit your boat while having tools near by too. Sitting in a new boat on dry land & outfitting it is great yet once on the water for a while there are changes that will be made.
As far as more info on the frog & it's levels. I'd advise coming to the roll session this Saturday & asking around . Everyone would be glad to tell you what the best levels are & you meet people that has ran the frog that would love to take a run down it with u as ( a leaderless group of common adventures ) .

Hope to see you at the NW Chapter roll session .
See ya on the water,
Rob

LarryT

Post by LarryT » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks, Rob. I will be their on Saturday. Just found out my wife's boat will not be in until next week. She will not get in the water until the spring warm-up. By then we will do the two Feb sessions at the Jones center and start at Siloam Springs. Cold water and my wife don't mix. I will run the Frog Bayou before then.

dusdun
Name: dustin

Post by dusdun » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:44 pm

I havent run the frog when it was up at funner levels, but up to 3' is no problem at all. It is a fun run, just not crazy stuff. I cant wait to hit it when its up high.

LarryT

Post by LarryT » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Their is a youtube video at 3.0. Looks like a nice run. Ready to try it when we get rain again.

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:43 am

My first/only river run was on the Frog from cemetery bridge down to Rudy at "3" 'ish. It was a riot. Not too challenging, or technical at all, but just enough to test my "Ford found" skills and take me to the next level. Some fantastic little surfing spots, some good 'talking' stretches, and a lot of good scenery. Luckily, I went with a great group of 'common adventurers' that had been on it before and I hope to go with them again. :thumbup:

Note: I'd also recommend testing your 'cold water' skills & roll at the Ford. I finally went out last weekend to the Ford in some 'real' cold water [even though the air temp was 69!] and must admit that FIRST roll was intense. Rob will tell you I came up screaming every time. :wht: I noticed cold water makes my eyeballs fog up. Anyway, I couldn't imagine the difference if I didn't have the [69 degree] sunshine. THAT will be my next experiment....
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Social Media