Cadron Creek - current condition?

Open Discussion

BangBang
Name: Phil

Cadron Creek - current condition?

Post by BangBang » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

Me and couple of buddies are heading over to Cadron Creek today to make the run from Hartwick Mill Bridge to Hwy 65 bridge. Usually there are downed trees and such to dodge. Just curious if anyone has ran it over the past couple days during this wonderful January weather and could give me a heads-up on anything I should be aware of... I'll check this post around 10:30 AM at the latest to see if I get a response. If not, no biggie. Thanks in advance.

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Re: Cadron Creek - current condition?

Post by Ouachitoff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:33 am

I know of at least one tree down between pinnacle springs and 65. i was hoping to run pinnacle springs to 65 in my playboat today
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Waterman
Name: John Fletcher

Post by Waterman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 am

Floated from the bridge down to HWY 65 and there was only one strainer or obstacle.

At the top of lunch spot rapid, there is a large tree across the entire left channel. You have plenty of time to see the log and reposition. At our level yesterday (2.5'), it was tempting for a few of our boaters to float under it, but there is only about 12" of airspace and 2 of the boaters were pinned momentarily, and one swam. I recommend running the route on the right (which is bony) or portaging at the top of the rapid and repositioning your boat below the strainer.

I will try to post a picture but my efforts so far this morning to upload have failed.

Have a great day.

John
John Fletcher

You never step into the same river twice.

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 am

BangBang, you guys mind dropping me off at pinnacle springs when you run shuttle?
- English proverb

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 am

No problem. We should be getting off the river by sundown. My number is 8702708241.

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Hey guys just wanted to say thank you for all the info. From Hartwick Bridge down at 2.1, there is a tree that has fallen over on the left about 50% of the way down. This is the entrance to the nice bluff waterfall. I don;t know the name of the rapid or the waterfall. You'll need go right and portage back over. That's my favorite part of the river. Hoping someone will fix that issue.

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm

BangBang wrote:Hey guys just wanted to say thank you for all the info. From Hartwick Bridge down at 2.1, there is a tree that has fallen over on the left about 50% of the way down. This is the entrance to the nice bluff waterfall. I don;t know the name of the rapid or the waterfall. You'll need go right and portage back over. That's my favorite part of the river. Hoping someone will fix that issue.
I saw that yesterday, although I couldn't remember if that channel has always had a strainer across it or not. Also saw the log at lunch spot/stop rapid. I would have been able to duck under the log in my playboat, but decided against that and scraped down on the right channel. The wave at the bottom was still fun as always to play on. I was talking about this strainer with Jeff P and we both agree that the next time the creek gets back above 5 ft there's a good chance that log will come free, I just hope it doesn't become wedged further down and block the wave.
- English proverb

Jeffrey
Name: JPWW

Post by Jeffrey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 pm

A group of us paddled that section Sunday. Jeff G and myself looked at it, not much holding the tree to the bank. Next big level it will move for sure. Just not sure where it will go. Maybe just wash on down and to one side or the other out of the way. But the entrance where the tree is now is the widest point of the rapid it could move further down. I wouldn't advise anyone that is in a normal boat to try and go under it. Jeff g made it fine but was in an old school boat that was only a few inches tall. Just my 2 cents

Jp

Waterman
Name: John Fletcher

Post by Waterman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Here is a picture of the strainer above the lunch spot rapid. Picture taken Sunday, Jan 18, and level was 2.5'.

John
Attachments
Cadron Strainer Jan 2015_DSCN0736.jpg
Cadron Strainer Jan 2015_DSCN0736.jpg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
John Fletcher

You never step into the same river twice.

Social Media