What's the Coldest Weather you Paddled?

Open Discussion
Smo_Off
Name: Cory Tracy

What's the Coldest Weather you Paddled?

Post by Smo_Off » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:47 pm

This isnt a gear question, just curious to how low some of you would go. Ive been at the Ford at 30 and on the Mulberry at 35 warming up to 50. My core never got cold but had trouble hitting a basic flat water roll. The cold shock to the face was enough not to allow me to think except to pull my skirt. Wondering if some of you have tips.
I know practicing my roll more would help but found in the cold after about 10 rolls im already drained yet im warm and fine in my drysuit.
My Favorite River is the one that I'm paddling.

Cory

turboturtle

Re: What's the Coldest Weather you Paddled?

Post by turboturtle » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:27 pm

I have many layers of cappoline and a bad as* dry suit, yet I've only been a few times when it was in the 30's. It really wasn't as much fun as it was about surviving. I would rather do anything but paddle in the 30's ever again. I'll take 40's all day in comparison. :twocents:

BOB
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

diona
Name: diona

Post by diona » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:59 pm

coldest was 18 degrees on Lee Creek icycle float in Feb. '99.....WEAR a fleece beanie hat!!!!!!!!!!! more importan :hammer2: t than drysuit...believe me....my first season I couldn't afford a drysuit...I wore my wool socks..farmerjane wetsuit, fleece layer paddle fleece , a paddle jacket..fleece paddle hat....no problem feeling too cold...or rolling my boat either

diona

Post by diona » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

coldest was 18 degrees on Lee Creek icycle float in Feb. '99.....WEAR a fleece beanie hat!!!!!!!!!!! more importan :hammer2: t than drysuit...believe me....my first season I couldn't afford a drysuit...I wore my wool socks..farmerjane wetsuit, fleece layer paddle fleece , a paddle jacket..fleece paddle hat....no problem feeling too cold...or rolling my boat either

diona

Post by diona » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:00 pm

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:19 pm

I'm sure that I have been below freezing a few times, but not often. To me the more important factors are the other elements like wind and rain/ice/snow. If those elements are miserable, I typically opt out on a cold day (even in the 40s). If it is sunny I will get out in the 30s possibly high 20s. I hate the cold though and my body isn't built to sustain it. Another thing that I like to do when it is cold is keep the trips short 2-4 miles and then play the hell out of it. That way if I get cold I can get to the take out pretty quickly and put on that warm cotton.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:31 pm

Upper 20's a few times, in a paddle raft though so not much face splashing going on. Did flip once in small raft, big water at those temps. Only thing cold was toes and fingers. Even with a dry suit I cut it off around 35. Like Kru said, wind and precip are big complications. 35 calm and sunny is nothing like 35, even 40, with clouds and wind.

I know of some who have paddled around 20. Crazy, young, and really good paddlers.

Smo_Off

Post by Smo_Off » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:42 pm

We were thinking a limit of above freezing barring circumstances. It seems the consensus is below 40 and the fun factor goes down.
Its just hard seeing all them pretty green river levels with the temps like they are.

Cory

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Protecting your head is super important for rolling in cold waters. A tight fitting skull cap preferably with a chin strap that holds it tight over your ears helps slow that cold water really hitting your head. I also will add a a fleece balaclava when it's really cold and windy. The other thing to do is if you are going to practice rolls or are running something that you need to be prepared to roll, is splash some of that cold water up on your face. This helps to acclimate you and you'll be less likely to experience that cold shock that seem to take all your breath away.

I echo Kristian's comments about other weather conditions: sun can make a big difference even when it's close to or below freezing. Windy and cloudy can really make conditions seem extra harsh.

When considering paddling, how cold it will be is part of the assessment. If there are other factors such as very remote location, very long distance to paddle, rapids that are at top of my ability, then at some point there are too many of those added danger elements. But if it's a easy float for my skill level, then I'll consider the colder temps since it balances out...and doing "icicle tours" on rivers such as the Mulberry, Cadron or South Fork Little Red is worth enduring the cold!

I think the coldest I've done is maybe mid to high 20's. I know I flipped and rolled at the very end of one particularly cold run right at the take out and ice was forming on my gear making it hard to get off. I think it was last winter that I did a run down Richland and don't think it ever got above freezing and gear in the back of the truck froze into weird shapes on the shuttle at the end of the day. It's funny to pick up a skirt and it stays frozen in the same shape! :wht:
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

mohawklady
Name: pam ellwood

Post by mohawklady » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:34 pm

when jon(frying squirrel) was 15 we did a trip on the buffalo in mid february. we camped friday night at mt Hersey and hit the river in the morning, when we woke up it was a cozy 34 degrees in the tent and 17 out side. I think I hesitated about going on the river by ourselves at that point but him being a teenager talked me into going anyway He must have had alot of faith in my ability to keep us out of trouble. He about froze to death after the first few waves hit him, but we figured out a way to keep him dry and warm. It was one of the most memorable trips I did with him and we were in our t shirts by the time we got to skull bluff. great day on the river!!!

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 pm

To quote hazardharry. "If it's a flowin' I'm a goin'. If it's a frozen I'm a dozin'. " -M- :thumbup:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Smo_Off

Post by Smo_Off » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone for the input..
I guess if you are questioning whether it's too cold or not, then it's probably to Cold.
That's what I thought, just taking the "Temperature".
I don't need to learn lessons the hard way,
I'll probably wait for at least some 40's
But I won't do it happily.

Cory

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Cory - with the gear you guys have, go any time you can. If you don't, you might miss the beavers and eagles! -M- :grin:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:12 am

12 degrees on Ms. Heltons porch.
She almost didn't run shuttle for us.
Said she didn't want the responsibility of having us on the river.
We broke thru ice to put on, the river was only open in the middle.
Every time we took a break, we broke out the whisper lite, boiled water then poured it in our booties before putting them back on.
I had never even heard of a 'dry' suit.
Farmer john, insulation, and a rainsuit.
Paddled a New Wave Buzz SOT.
buzz.jpg
buzz.jpg (3.39 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Wouldn't do it again but did it two Monday's in a row before the guy who started me paddling moved back to Minnesota.
Second Monday it was a balmy 22.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

canoe

Post by canoe » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Richland @ 10 degrees :canoe:

Social Media