whitewater kayaking and corrective eyewear

Open Discussion
Henry Gresham

Re: whitewater kayaking and corrective eyewear

Post by Henry Gresham » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm still learning to roll, and am a contact wearer. I use swim goggles when I'm practicing rolls, and contacts in the pool or river. I always have spare emergency glasses. I talked to my eye doc about eye infection concerns, so he gave me a prescription for some daily wear disposables to use in lieu of my normal extended wears. After kayaking the daily wear contacts get trashed and eyes get thoroughly flushed with sterile saline. I guess I'm a "belt and suspenders" type when it comes to eye safety.

Henry Gresham

Post by Henry Gresham » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm still learning to roll, and am a contact wearer. I use swim goggles when I'm practicing rolls, and contacts in the pool or river. I always have spare emergency glasses. I talked to my eye doc about eye infection concerns, so he gave me a prescription for some daily wear disposables to use in lieu of my normal extended wears. After kayaking the daily wear contacts get trashed and eyes get thoroughly flushed with sterile saline. I guess I'm a "belt and suspenders" type when it comes to eye safety.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 am

Henry,

My opinion, there is no way a person can over do eye protection from injury or infection.

The bottom line for me is no matter where you boat these days there is a certain level of pollution in the water.

Better being safe than sorry. :crossed:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:34 am

I always keep a spare pair of contacts in the pocket of my PFD, have never had to use them, but they are there and handy.
Typically, if I take a splash, I can just blink a few times and my contacts will clear up. Occasionally, one will slide off center, but with blinking or rolling of eyes, I can get it repositioned. Minor annoyance, yes, but I have to wear such a strong prescription with glasses, that there is too much distortion and I can actually get sick or dizzy. One day, LASIK.
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm

I've always worn glasses, contacts drive me nuts (more nuts than usual). They fog. I've paddled lots of whitewater pretty much one-handed while wiping glasses. Memorable Upper Gauley trip one time where I think I could see where I was going about 40% of the time. Fun times...

Nothing has ever worked to keep the lenses clear. Scooting them down a bit seems to help circulate air behind them and keep them clearer. Amazingly, I've never lost my glasses completely. Had a lens fall out one time on the Richland and I caught it in my hand. Duct taped it back in - looked extra cool for a while.

I've seen boaters who "never" lose a contact lose one at the worst possible time. A lost contact played a role in a fun-filled impromptu campout we had on Boss Hollow one time. To be fair tho, stupidity also played a role. I would definitely bring a pair with me if I wore contacts. Good general statement that it can help your paddling if you bring a pair... whether you need to correct vision or not.

Vaya con gafas,
Fish

BHK Okie
Name: Terry Nixon

Post by BHK Okie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Stick with contacts. I never open my eyes to roll. Seeing helps while learning, but I would recommend transitioning from open-eyed to close eyed rolling. It simply requires practicing enough times so that you know the motion without having to see to place your paddle, etc. I do carry an extra contact in my first aid kit in case I lose one paddling. Have never lost one paddling. Have taken a splash in the face that temporarily blocked vision, but same would have happened had I been wearing glasses.

It is possible to open eyes under water with contacts but you'll have to squint and look through minimally-opened lids to prevent water from washing contacts out. Easier just to keep 'em closed

What he said ! I wear a special made hard contact lens ( over $500 each - not a pr ) & I don't have extras to carry . Glasses don't work for me , too much scar tissue on my eyes . I have to have the hard lens against my eyes to smooth out the surface . How much can you really see under water anyway ?

shawn_rackley81
Name: shawn rackley

Post by shawn_rackley81 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am

After speaking with the eye doctor, I have decided to just stick with regular contacts. Going to take an extra pair always. With my limited experience glasses are more hard to use than the contacts. Thanks for all the responses guys.

shawn_rackley81
Name: shawn rackley

Post by shawn_rackley81 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am

After speaking with the eye doctor, I have decided to just stick with regular contacts. Going to take an extra pair always. With my limited experience glasses are more hard to use than the contacts. Thanks for all the responses guys.

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:23 am

I second okieboater on the Silverfish Whistlers. I used them for 3 weeks in the Grand Canyon and subsequently on and off the river for several years now. I got the polarized brown lenses, so they're good even on a dark, rainy day. If I miss a roll, I always open my eyes and watch the end of my paddle for the second attempt. In big water, it's also helpful to see when you're near the surface for your roll attempt.
http://www.silverfish.com/eyewear/Surf-Whistler.html

Ryan Center
Name: ozarkpaddler

Post by Ryan Center » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:33 am

Fish wrote:
Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 pm
I've always worn glasses, contacts drive me nuts (more nuts than usual). They fog. I've paddled lots of whitewater pretty much one-handed while wiping glasses. Memorable Upper Gauley trip one time where I think I could see where I was going about 40% of the time. Fun times...

Nothing has ever worked to keep the lenses clear. Scooting them down a bit seems to help circulate air behind them and keep them clearer. Amazingly, I've never lost my glasses completely. Had a lens fall out one time on the Richland and I caught it in my hand. Duct taped it back in - looked extra cool for a while.

I've seen boaters who "never" lose a contact lose one at the worst possible time. A lost contact played a role in a fun-filled impromptu campout we had on Boss Hollow one time. To be fair tho, stupidity also played a role. I would definitely bring a pair with me if I wore contacts. Good general statement that it can help your paddling if you bring a pair... whether you need to correct vision or not.

Vaya con gafas,
Fish
The lost contact had ZERO reason why we stayed the night on Boss Hollow!!!!

Social Media