2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd

Open Discussion
RobM
Name: Rob

2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd

Post by RobM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:42 pm

The Arkansas Canoe Club, Steve Runnels & I (Rob Moody) will be offering a Full 2 day L-4 swiftwater rescue course at the new SSKP. This will be a very fun and active course. Also this is a great opportunity to take advantage of this great place right here in NWA to learn safety on the river.

Our rescue courses are unique in that we have little lecture time & a lot of in the water time which makes for a very FUN & very active SWR learning experience . This is not a learning to swim class . Even though this is a challenge by choice class, you will need to know how to swim. What this is though is a opportunity to quickly learn & refine the latest in self-rescue techniques , methods to avoid potential dangers & to have the knowledge to be able to help people in the river environment.

We focus heavily on aggressive techniques that will solve big problems on the river when your day on the river don't go as planned. Self-Rescue, rope skills, swimming tactics, knots & ways to unpin boats or help entrapped paddlers when seconds count. This is just a portion of what we practice in this fast paced 2day swift water rescue course.

Gear Required:
-boat with float bags
-Life jacket or Rescue PFD ( which would be very handy)
-helmet
-paddle
-whistle
-Warm river clothes. We will be in the water for extended periods of time this will be very important. ABSOLUTELY NO COTTON . Wet suit or Dry suit will be nessasary for this course because of the time of year . fleece or wool under-layer
is good to wear under your dry suit.
- appropriate footwear ( river booties, water shoes that cover & protect your toes & ankles).
-lunch & snacks
-Plenty of water
-Sunblock
-Throw rope

optional gear:( for your benefit)
- unpin kit which consists of 1 piece of webbing 15' to 20' foot long . two pullys ( same diameter that will fit your rope ).
two prussik loops or two pieces of kern-mantle static cord that's 6mm to 8mm in diameter & four locking carabiners .

The cost of this course will be $125.
If your a ACA member already there will be five dollars taken of the cost.

If your a member of the NW Chapter of the ACC, they will reimburse you half the cost of this course after completion. WOW what a deal for us NW Chapter members.

For more info and/or to register:
Contact Rob at 479-957-8118 or
email : arkansasoutdooroutfitters@yahoo.com

This class usually fills up fast so contact me right away!

Thanks & see you on the water,
Rob
Last edited by RobM on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
See ya on the water,
Rob

kayakAR
Name: kayakAR

Re: 2-day L-4 SWR course at Siloam Springs Kayak Park

Post by kayakAR » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:22 am

Hi Rob, I'd consider the course but could only attend if offered the first weekend of November (11/1-2), since I'll be out of town the following weekend. Thanks for offering it down the road!

jdryden78
Name: John

Post by jdryden78 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Definitely interested. Just need the date to get off work.

fvecella

Post by fvecella » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:01 am

I am very interested. I can only do the two sundays instead of the full weekend.
-Frank V

RobM

Post by RobM » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey Frank, Looking forward to you joining us . The vote isn't over yet so I can update you when I know' If u will text me your phone number, name & email. I will also put you down voting for the two Sundays . My number is at the bottom of the course info. Or email me. Either will be fine. Thanks your the interest in the course. Going to be a awesome course. Did your friend at the last meeting still want to join us too? If so have him contact me too so I can get his info & vote .
See ya on the water,
Rob

Smo_Off
Name: Cory Tracy

Post by Smo_Off » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:49 pm

My wife and I could do one weekend but couldn't do the two sunday
My Favorite River is the one that I'm paddling.

Cory

RobM

Post by RobM » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Ok Cory I will put u & Michelle in for the weekend vote. :thumbup:
See ya on the water,
Rob

Cody_B
Name: Cody

Post by Cody_B » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm

I am interested in attending the SWR course. Hopefully, enough people get on board for it to go. Keep us updated! Thanks

RobM

Post by RobM » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes ther will be enough taking the class. Just call me or text me your info. We will be sending out paperwork after the vote is done. This weekend. At this time there is more votes for the weekend course. Cody do you have a preference of the two Sunday's in a row or the weekend course?
See ya on the water,
Rob

Cody_B
Name: Cody

Post by Cody_B » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:17 pm

RobM wrote:Yes ther will be enough taking the class. Just call me or text me your info. We will be sending out paperwork after the vote is done. This weekend. At this time there is more votes for the weekend course. Cody do you have a preference of the two Sunday's in a row or the weekend course?
Rob, if I'm available to take the class, then I like the idea of the weekend class to have the days back to back.

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:43 am

It looks like the weather will hold for the next couple weeks.
This maybe the last of the warm(er) weather classes that we will be able to offer this year.
We have a couple spots left and will be taking name for the reserves/first chance next class list.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RobM

Re: 2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd ONLY 2 SPOTS LEFT

Post by RobM » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:51 am

The weekend has been voted in!! I will be sending paperwork out Monday so please if you haven't gave me your info go ahead & send it to me. Our next class will be 2 Sundays in a row, yet it will more likely be next spring. Because it more likely will be too cold. As Steve said, the weather looks like its going to cooperate with our course on November 1st & 2nd. This will be a great class.
Also we have classes in the summer too, yet the kayak season is here now until next summer, here in Arkansas. This means cold weather safety (in & out of the water) is very important to us boaters. This course will be going over this issue thoroughly. Plus it will not be that cold & a perfect temp for this lesson. So even if you have already took a summer class this will be going over more cold weather safety.

We only have two spots left, yet if you have a group of 3 or 4 we could still get you in now if you email & call me as soon as you can. My # 479-957-8118 , email arkansasoutdooroutfitters@yahoo.com
See ya on the water,
Rob

RobM

Re: 2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd

Post by RobM » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:28 am

GOOD NEWS!! You still have time to sign up.
We have had some last minute cancelations. If interested in this course we have room. contact number & email is up above. Bottom of first post.
See ya on the water,
Rob

RobM

Re: 2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd, 1 spot left

Post by RobM » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 pm

In the last two day we have had new people signing up & the class is filling up fast. As of now we have one spot left , we could squeeze 1 more if you have a group of two. Please contact me right away if you would like to sign up. First come first one that gets in. This weekend is shaping up to be a fantastic course with great weather & a great group of people to work with.
See ya on the water,
Rob

Smo_Off
Name: Cory Tracy

Re: 2-day L-4 SWR at SSKP NOV 1st & 2nd

Post by Smo_Off » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:21 pm

First I would like to thank, Rob and Steve, for the education they gave us this weekend. Second, I would like to thank , Stephen, for running downstream safety among many other things he helped with. Last I would like to thank, Our Team...Brian,Cody,John,Rob....and of course Michelle for making this a great experience.
If no one has ever taken a swift water class, I highly encourage it.
I honestly had fun all weekend long learning the skills needed in a rescue or to be rescued.
A Great Class with Great People makes a Great Experience.
See you on the River :clap: :yahoo:

P.S. No More Victims
My Favorite River is the one that I'm paddling.

Cory

Social Media