Moving to Arkansas

Open Discussion
Alia
Name: Alia

Re: Moving to Arkansas

Post by Alia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:31 am

Thanks, Jim! We will definitely check that out

Another question... We were debating on living on base at Little Rock AFB but housing seems decent in the Maumelle/Violina/Conway areas...any advice? Or areas to definitely stay away from?

mohawklady
Name: pam ellwood

Post by mohawklady » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:09 am

Jacksonville, Cabot or sherwood would be better options, and the base has nice housing also, I deliver pizza on the base all the time and it is easy to get around in there. I also live right behind the base in Jacksonville. If you are into floating/ camping I would love to show you the Buffalo River which is two hours north of LR.and is Americas first National Scenic river, I have a canoe and a raft and can carry some of your gear if necessary, we don't have the mountains your are used to but Arkansas is THE NATURAL STATE with clean,clear rivers and streams...welcome to our state....Pam

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 am

Alia wrote:Thanks, Jim! We will definitely check that out

Another question... We were debating on living on base at Little Rock AFB but housing seems decent in the Maumelle/Violina/Conway areas...any advice? Or areas to definitely stay away from?
Welcome, Alia. Those are all nice areas but are a bit of a hike from the base. That may not bother you but if you want to be closer look at North Little Rock and Sherwood. Of course the base is in Jacksonville but NLR and Sherwood are much nicer than Jacksonville IMO. I live in NLR and love it.

As for a dry suit for you, check Boatertalk and Mountainbuzz. There are almost always women's small dry suits for sale there and most people are willing to do the PayPal and ship thing. Also, Kayak Academy sells theirs on eBay. They're great to work with and won't sell you a trashed suit.

Look forward to meeting you guys! :wave:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 am

Conway would be quite a commute but has an advantage in cost of living created by cheap electricity. There are weekly pool sessions in LR. My wife may be selling women's medium soon, once kokatat releases their new two piece design.

My gut tells me living on base would be your best option, but there are probably weighting factors only you can figure out. Would you have to commute daily, or do you deploy for longer periods and then spend several days at a time at home or taking mini vacations? Do you eat out often and want more variety, or mostly cook at home? Etc
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Alia

Post by Alia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks, again for all the info! Will definitely look into those for a dry-suit. NLR or just staying on base seem like the way we are leaning towards now...thanks for the suggestions!

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 am

Sorry you're missing rendezvous - but I'd like to say still take your boats and go down to our local "park and play" at Rockport some Saturday. In some ways it can be as good as rendezvous for meeting a few local boaters. There's one hole that will be fun for even very advanced boaters and others that are great for more relaxed play, plus a few places to work on attainments.

Go soon - Saturday and Sunday releases are guaranteed until Labor Day. After that, it depends on power needs and available water in the lakes.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Alia
Welcome to Arkansas. Come on out to one our monthly meetings with the Central Chapter folks. 4th Tuesday of the month. Watch message board for particulars and program info.

Lots of paddling to be done this winter!
Tim

Alia

Post by Alia » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:37 am

We are en route to Little Rock, woot woot! Was the meeting last Tuesday?

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:17 pm

yes, it was the 23rd. next month is DO cookout. good stuff! :thumbup:
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

Alia

Post by Alia » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:42 pm

We like cookouts, sweet!

Social Media