Moving to Arkansas

Open Discussion
BigGREATColt
Name: Colton Lien

Moving to Arkansas

Post by BigGREATColt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Hello,

My wife and I are moving somewhere near Little Rock/Jacksonville at the end of September. We are looking to go whitewater boat riding on anything that is near by and to get our feet in the door into the Arkansas paddling community. Definitely looking forward to hearing from y'all.

Thanks,
Colt Lien
Colt Lien

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Moving to Arkansas

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Welcome, Colt. If your schedule allows y'all should come to Rendezvous and meet a bunch of us at once. Either way we'll look forward to meeting you!
You come too.
Robert Frost

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:33 am

Hi there,

I can't tell from your post if you all are already whitewater boaters? Do you have your own boats and gear or are looking to start in the sport? We can provide some more info based on what your situation is.

In the meantime, the important thing you need to know about whitewater in Arkansas is that it is highly rain dependent and our typical "wet" season is winter into spring. Summer and fall tend to be quite dry (although this summer has been unusually rainy). We have a couple park n play whitewater spots in the state that run in the summer, but for most downriver whitewater runs, those will come into play roughly December - May (sometimes the season starts a bit earlier and lasts a bit longer, but those are our prime months). This also means that ww paddling in Arkansas is by and large cold weather paddling and requires the clothing and gear that goes along with that.

We also have a lot of paddling opportunities outside of whitewater, although you specifically asked about whitewater.

Tell us more about what your experience is, where you're coming from, and maybe we can give you better info!

Cheers,
Heather
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Where are you guys moving in from, if you don't mind me prying? :grin:

Looks like others have most info covered, we have some great water in this state and an active group who paddle it!

Welcome :beer2:
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

BigGREATColt

Post by BigGREATColt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Well, for all those questions.
Mu wife and I are moving from Richmond VA.
I paddle a Esquif Spanish Fly (open boat, for those who don't know).
My wife, Alia, paddles a Dagger Mamba.
We have wetsuits, a dry suit, and a dry top/pants combination.
As for notable rivers:
I've run the Gauley, Top and Upper Yough, the James, and a series of more rivers.
Alia has run the Lower Yough, the James, Big Sandy, Cheat Narrows, and some more to speak of.
Everything we have run is in Virginia, West Virginia, or Maryland.

Please feel free to drill me with as many questions as you would like, we are trying to get a feel for the people and the surrounding areas.
As for living near Little Rock, is there anything close to there?
Or is everything a couple hour drive?

Thanks,
Colt Lien
Colt Lien

BigGREATColt

Post by BigGREATColt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Luke, you mentioned if my schedule permits to come to rendezvous, when is it? And where would it be?
Colt Lien

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:06 pm

http://arkansascanoeclub.com/page-490146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

cole m
Name: cole mullican

Post by cole m » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:50 pm

:beer: :beer:
open boater

BigGREATColt

Post by BigGREATColt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 pm

We won't be able to make it to the rendezvous :(
Colt Lien

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Yay, another Spanish Fly!
Bryan Signorelli

Lupe
Name: Heather Huckeba

Post by Lupe » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi again,

Well, Rendezvous is our last big club event for the year but there'll be a few other ways to start meeting boaters. Once you're here, you can join us in Little Rock every fourth Tuesday of the month at the Oyster Bar for a Central Chapter meeting: mostly just folks eating, drinking, telling tall tales and maybe a short program of some topic of interest. You can check here on the message board each week about open pool sessions at UALR in Little Rock - good place to learn to roll, practice your roll or strokes, or even help others learn to roll, and a small group usually grabs dinner afterwards as well. Pool sessions are a nice way to get the boat wet when it get's chilly and there's no water to run. Our summer time play spot (Rockport near Malvern) may stop running from the dam releases by the time you get here...otherwise that's usually another good spot to meet folks, particularly on the weekends.

Other than that, just wait until it rains and then check out the trip forum to join a trip or even just post to ask where folks are headed.

Here's our main guide to all good things to paddle in Arkansas: when the reds turn to green, we're good to go!
http://www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/stages.pl?ST=level

Cheers
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall,
but you'll never catch me complaining about too much of that southern rain.
~ Michael Timmins, Cowboy Junkies

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Based on your paddling resumes, you'll be well within your comfort zones joining any trips you'll see posted here on the Message board. Also, Facebook is now becoming an alternate place to look for trips; one page you might want to join is the Arkansas Whitewater Coalition, some short notice trips get posted there.

We don't have anything dam-release comparable to the Gauley, so often you'll us smiling and relaxing on Class II's, just enjoying whatever water mother nature is willing to give us that particular weekend. If that is not your cup of tea, don't give up on boating altogether, you will eventually catch some challenging runs on the Cossatot, Baker Creek, Richland Creek, or others. Some people still ask the question "have you done this before?" and get a little skittish if you say no; if that happens just mention a few of the runs you named above and they will quit worrying.

You'll want to Bookmark the Ozark Whitewater gauge page; it is color coded and especially helpful when the gage reference values have no meaning because all the runs are new to you. AWA pages are also useful (of course).
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Alia
Name: Alia

Post by Alia » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey everybody! I'm Colt's wife, Alia...Thank y'all so much for all of the information! I think we are going to be in paddle shock after being extremely spoiled with being able to paddle the James year-round :wave:

As far as more difficult runs, I just enjoy being out on the water (Colt is another story...openboaters...) so class II/III sounds lovely! Are there a lot of female boaters in the area? Are the pool sessions held weekly? Anyone selling a ladies dry suit? Lol

We are really looking forward to paddling and meeting Arkansas boaters when we arrive in October, looks like there is a great community and a lot of resources :grin:

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Alia,

Again, Welcome! My comments aren't purely floating related, but when you and Colt get settled-in, do plan the short trip down to Hot Springs one day soon. The older part of downtown is in the National Park is worth strolling around to see the old bath houses, and also the nice Promenade behind them. Then I would suggest heading out to Albert Pike St. to sample some of the best BBQ in Arkansas at McClards. Then, just a mile or so on West, on Hwy 70, do stop in at Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, they are one of our finest outfitter stores for boating and camping gear.

Best Regards
Jim

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Glad to have you guys! Hope to see you soon on the river. :kayak:
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Social Media