William A. Forshey, of Austin. Drown

Open Discussion

MissEllie
Name: Ellanorah Wilson

William A. Forshey, of Austin. Drown

Post by MissEllie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Did anyone hear about this?? http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/2 ... /12578485/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SALIDA, Colo. (AP) - Authorities have released the name of a kayaker whose body was pulled from the Arkansas River north of Buena Vista.

Chaffee County Coroner Randy Amettis identified the victim Tuesday as 54-year-old William A. Forshey, of Austin. His death has been ruled a drowning.

The sheriff's office says Forshey became high-centered on a large rock in the Miracle Mile section of the river at about noon Monday. He stepped out of the boat, and witnesses say they saw him standing on the shoreline.

Forshey was spotted a short time later floating downriver.

Undersheriff John Spezze says the man was pronounced dead at the scene. He did not say how he ended up back in the water after making it to shore.

Tim Eubanks

Re: William A. Forshey, of Austin. Drown

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 am

Talk on mountainbuzz is that he had some medical issue and his passing was not boating-related

Opes
Name: Josh Wood

Re: William A. Forshey, of Austin. Drown

Post by Opes » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:36 am

It has been a rough year on the Ark. The high water is obviously not to be messed with this year. The Miracle Mile section that he was on is not super difficult, but it is very continuous. I was winded in the high altitude and continuous whitewater while out there this year. I could certainly see having medical issues because of the strenuous nature of paddling in those conditions if that is not what you are used to. I was exhausted after a few surfs at the playpark, although admittidly, I am not in the best cardio shape at the moment.

My thoughts are with all of the paddlers, family, and friends that have been affected by the many boating accidents this year. Stay safe out there.

Social Media