Need Advice from Tandem White Water Paddlers

Open Discussion

MissEllie
Name: Ellanorah Wilson

Need Advice from Tandem White Water Paddlers

Post by MissEllie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:31 am

A friend of mine, who has not joined the club YET, just got a Jackson Dynamic Duo tandem kayak.

I can give general information/instruction but have never paddled tandem at any point. Is there anyone out there that can recommend or give some tips/hints to them on white water tandem kayaking?

I took them out for a short flat water "shake down" and they did pretty well. He has some experience years ago in a kayak she has only paddled a kayak once before but has some canoe experience.

They can not make Surf'nTurf but want to get some experience & more river time.

Thanks!
Ellie :kayak:
501-247-5935

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Need Advice from Tandem White Water Paddlers

Post by Cowper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:07 pm

I claim no expertise in tandem kayaking, but consistent with accepted Internet Policy and Practices, I won't let that stop me from giving advice. :ROFL:

For someone just starting out, wanting to be competent but not necessarily get fancy, how hard can it be? Don't wait, do what they are already doing, get out, paddle, experiment...

Take standard Tandem canoe practice skill sets and strokes.

Stern paddler:
Forget the "J" stroke, why do that when you have the option of a forward power stroke or sweep on the opposite side? Besides, without a "T" grip, a J stroke is going to awkward to near impossible anyway.
Pry strokes - less often. generally a draw on the opposite side will achieve the same end goal with less chance of "tripping" over the paddle in shallow water.

Bow paddler:
Forget "crossover" strokes like the cross-bow draw. Again, no longer needed, potentially awkward...

General:
Person with more tandem knowledge should probably be in the stern so they can see what the partner is doing and call for specific strokes when needed (note, "knowledge" may be different than "experience" - knowing what you are doing and why, vs time just spent in a boat with another partner...)
Be sure to check the "trim" - if the boat is bow-heavy, then it will be more difficult to keep it going in a straight line.
This does NOT mean the heaviest person needs to sit in the back, unless you are extremely mis-matched like 250# and 120#, for example. Just adjust where you put any gear - if the heavier person is up front, then slide both seats further back, and put ANY and ALL gear you have behind the back seat, not somewhere in middle of boat.

Bottom line, I think anyone who could help with tandem canoeing tips could also help give beginning tandem kayaking tips.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

wisefloater14
Name: joe wise

Post by wisefloater14 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:51 am

Put the most experienced paddler in the back.
Simple right?
If trouble appears ahead keep the bow paddle out of the water and let your stern handle it.
If that doesn't work out enjoy the swim :crazy:

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:17 am

Communication is key. However there is a reason that tandem whitewater canoes have been called "divorce boats". There was this time on the Big Piney when my wife got out and walked and... :oops:

wisefloater14
Name: joe wise

Post by wisefloater14 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Codger...
Should have brought your A game on that float :yahoo: :beer2:

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:23 pm

wisefloater14 wrote:Codger...
Should have brought your A game on that float :yahoo: :beer2:
I did! I did! We aced the Mother! And then she forgot left/right at the sisters and... well... I knew I should have taken her on the Buffalo first but... Heck, a farm girl should know her left from her right, right? :whistle:

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 pm

When talking about kayaks, one of my favorite expressions is that 'ya don't have to solicit a second opinion about which way to go' when in a boat built for one :D I do have a tandem canoe though to use every great once in awhile :whistle:

Worthlessly Yours
Jim

Social Media