Name: Ryan Hughes

It happened today

Post by unicorn » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:19 pm

"The flower children have grown thorns" - Abbie Hoffman

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Re: It happened today

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Nothing related to the River Park, aside from being within view of same water and parking lot. See my post.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm

http://www.4029tv.com/news/teen-missing ... k/26538978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 pm

I've sent emails to the journalists stating what Charles reported that it was downstream of the park and unrelated to the Whitewater Park but we know, unless those journalists issue corrections, that the park will be getting the negative press. I have faith that Steve, Daniel, Charles and others in touch with the local law enforcement will help to keep the truth out there.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Yep, we heard that on FB from family friends, but had no verification. Very sad. It is a shame they are attaching this tragedy to the River Park itself, but it doesn't surprise me since that is what is bringing all the folks to that area. Very sad for the family. Prayers to all the family & friends and the SSPD Rescue for a quick & well organized response.

Very close to home.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:21 pm

http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... =1&t=26128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hcarr999
Name: Heath

Post by Hcarr999 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 pm

It was not at the park there is a rope swing a few hundred yards downstream that's is where the teen drowned
Paddle or die!!!!

Charles1967

Post by Charles1967 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 am

The story is MORE accurate [including title] now.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/06/17/dive- ... ater-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:28 am

Charles1967 wrote:The story is MORE accurate [including title] now.

http://5newsonline.com/2014/06/17/dive- ... ater-park/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The information about the park itself, and water features, is a welcome addendum to the still sketchy information about the tragic drowning. Good work there Hayden and anyone else who took the time and effort to get the news article corrected in a timely manner.
The park includes 600 feet of engineered river. Kayaks, tubes and canoes are accepted on the river, but Hayden said free swimming is not recommended through the rapids.

The park does not offer life jackets, but Hayden said officials recommend all visitors bring one.

“Everybody needs some type of a personal floatation device, whether it’s a life jacket or something else,” she said. “But everybody needs to be wearing it, whether they are in a tube, whether they are in a boat, a kayak or anything. They need to be doing that.”
Michael

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Michael, tragic is right. From what I've read, specific information as to how it happened is still incomplete. They released a picture of the boy, Evan Thomas, on one of our local on-line papers. In the picture he is holding fins and a mask. It's hard to accept.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:09 pm

greg vanhorn wrote:Michael, tragic is right. From what I've read, specific information as to how it happened is still incomplete. They released a picture of the boy, Evan Thomas, on one of our local on-line papers. In the picture he is holding fins and a mask. It's hard to accept.
I have been diving as a part of my work for more than thirtyfive years, first freediving but using a double-lung compressor the past eight years. In still water... swimming pool repair. But even there I/we have a strict rule... no buddy, no swim. Someone to mind the compressor and watch the diver, ready to physically retrieve him at the first sign of trouble with pole and hook or by the airline. I was not nearly so thoughtful in my youth. Prayers for his family and friends.

Michael

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 pm

It looks like he was on the Siloam Springs swim team. His FB page shows him on the blocks. I was a swimmer and lifeguard in school. Sometimes we are the ones that think we can swim in any water, any where. We often shun PFD's because we think they could hinder our ability to swim out of trouble. There is a huge difference between a guy that took swimming lessons at camp and a guy that swims competitively. Not even Michael Phelps should swim in these waters without some sort of PFD and a spotter. It so hurts to lose a river kid from NWA. Rest in peace, Evan. Arrrrrrrrrrrr. dang it.

Social Media