Illinois River Incident - 6/17/2014

Open Discussion
Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Re: Illinois River Incident - 6/17/2014

Post by Canoe_Codger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:25 pm

A place to start:
http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=Resources" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Thank you, Charles. I think some details could help in preventing another tragedy, but PFD's would help more, and I'd donate to a fund to provide PFD's for visitors to the park. Given his swimming abilities, it is still curious, to me, that he went under and never resurfaced. I understand that we may never know what exactly transpired during those moments before the tragedy occurred, but what I'm reading and hearing from the "press" sounds like, "he drowned at the whitewater park in those dangerous rapids." I still think there is something important (separate from the absence of a PFD) that is missing from this saga and it might be something that helps to prevent it from happening again. I didn't hear that he was wearing shoes. Were there any reports of alcohol? Why did his friends go so far upstream from him?

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:06 pm

greg vanhorn wrote:Thank you, Charles. I think some details could help in preventing another tragedy, but PFD's would help more, and I'd donate to a fund to provide PFD's for visitors to the park. Given his swimming abilities, it is still curious, to me, that he went under and never resurfaced. I understand that we may never know what exactly transpired during those moments before the tragedy occurred, but what I'm reading and hearing from the "press" sounds like, "he drowned at the whitewater park in those dangerous rapids." I still think there is something important (separate from the absence of a PFD) that is missing from this saga and it might be something that helps to prevent it from happening again. I didn't hear that he was wearing shoes. Were there any reports of alcohol? Why did his friends go so far upstream from him?
All it takes is one small pile of rocks or roots in the wrong place. We are trained to swim as close to the surface as possible (unless in a hydraulic) at ALL times. Current is current.. There doesn't need to be rapids for danger.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:36 pm

If there were blunt force trauma from rocks or debris, it seems like there would have been reporting on that from the coroner's office or police department. The same with lacerations or other types of wounds. I haven't read anything about that. I'm guessing there won't be any further investigation by the city or county? If his friends witnessed him making a safe landing from the rope swing, that would rule out the possibility that he landed on something. It is extremely rare when a swimmer that trains in the mornings and afternoons for hours each day, drowns without explanation.
"any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankind, And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee." ~ John Donne, intro to For Whom the Bell Tolls by E. Hemingway

tomOzarkVideo

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm talking about getting trapped (Strained) in something below the surface.

We need to get you in a SWR class, and I want to paddle with you some more. :canoe:

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:18 pm

http://www.4029tv.com/City-remains-mum- ... 732#!47lh2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to keep beating the concrete on this, but just wanted anybody still following this thread to know. Tonight I saw this Emily...lady...filming for this follow-up story eluding to some conspiracy. As I was leaving she was typing her story. I asked her if she 'knew' the incident did NOT happen in the park according to the information I got the night it happened. She said she "knew that but couldn't control what they said in the story". She joked about how dumb it was for people to expect the city to control the safety 'on the river'. Isn't it strange how someone can get in front of a T.V. camera and knowingly mislead, elude a false premise, and omit inconvenient facts just to create controversy? I knew the media was useless, but it was weird meeting a young lady who already has jettisoned any grasp of integrity for such a lame career. ...and do they teach them that stupid "reporter voice" in reporter college?

:rant over: :box: I'm done. Sorry. F**k it. :silent:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

tomOzarkVideo

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:36 am

That's 40/29s M.O. "If the story isn't there, MAKE one…. Or else."

I like how Craig points to the police patrolling the park to enforce the rules that 40/29 says don't exist. :confused:

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:57 am

It's been floated around camp that the whole mess is a backhanded jab at WF.
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:59 am

To quote the late great Bill Hicks,"Lying liars who lie out of their lie holes"-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

n2outdrs
Name: Judy Fichtl

Post by n2outdrs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:39 am

We were there yesterday as well and the reporter was there the entire time. What was interesting to us was to watch the report later, and the only thing reported was the interview of the women saying she thought life jackets should be provided.
Judy Fichtl

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:12 am

n2outdrs wrote:We were there yesterday as well and the reporter was there the entire time. What was interesting to us was to watch the report later, and the only thing reported was the interview of the women saying she thought life jackets should be provided.
They should! By responsible parents! Just like I dropped some coin to get my five year old grandaughter a new pfd from Cabellas!

ETA: No, I am not confused. This is a Cabellas photo, not my grandaughter! :myday"

Social Media