It almost happened today

Open Discussion
adamm
Name: adam

Re: It almost happened today

Post by adamm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 am

The catch 22 here is that a Pfd ordinance would be next to impossible to enforce and there is not a life jacket made that would keep someone's head above in an entrapment situation in the current. That will always be the largest danger out there with strainers flushing down stream and a constantly shifting riverbed. It is a natural environment and is uncontrollable, however man made it may be.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:22 am

Correct. That 'rope' situation was an anomoly. Trying not to think about all the time I spent upside down floating through that same area Sunday. **Gulp**
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:36 am

Lifeguards! :)

Maybe they need a Game and Fish substation up there to issue tickets for no pfd's on kids in vessels (tubes) and to ticket adults for public intoxication, operating a vessel while under the influence, drinking in a city park, etc.

When I've seen tubes rented elsewhere, I thought everyone was given a pfd.

Good luck with solving your problems and developing your community. These issues are present at Rockport every time it runs. Kids with no pfd swimming the ledge, tubes, drunks... Recently there was someone with a large tube tied up to a tree on the bank. The rope was above water but was still obnoxious.
Bryan Signorelli

Tenacious D

Post by Tenacious D » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:46 pm

At the very least the City needs to put up some warning signs... swift currents, swim at your own risk and no lifegaurd on duty etc.

CityofSiloamSprings

Post by CityofSiloamSprings » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Signs have been erected to notify users of the dangers of the river. There are three throughout the park that say "swim at your own risk" and "life jackets strongly recommended".
Additionally, the City will utilize the City's webpage, social media pages and regional media to help push the importance of personal flotation devices.

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:31 pm

The signage really looked great today. Everything is looking great out there.

Thank you.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Sir Kayakalot
Name: Tommy farris

Post by Sir Kayakalot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 pm

That's a step in the right direction. Just curious, how far are the signs from the waters edge
and how big are they?

Tommy

Joe Purdy
Name: Joe Purdy

Post by Joe Purdy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I agree with Ryan. Somebody is going to end up with a TBI or dead, and then that will be the end. I was there Sunday and watched children without lifevests, diving head first down the face of the waves. At one point, a little girl came back up saying "my teeth touched the bottom".
As I understand it, the city only has control over the land, not the flowing water. But as I understand it, the land under the water belongs to the city (State v MCIlroy). Can rules not be put in place to govern the wearing of lifejackets when on city property, ie the rocks around the bank and in the streambed? Also many of the folks were standing on the bottom between the waves. Not everyone is aware of the laws and signage and official presence once in a while could go a long way. When I pulled away for the day at about 1600, a state trooper in a red cruiser had pulled up to the loading area but that was the only official presence I saw there at all. I certainly don't want the police there all the time, but it was nice to know they can get there if needed. Maybe AGFC could put this area on their list of places to patrol as well. My.02
I wanna leave this world the same way I came into it... naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood...

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 pm

It seems to me that the city has control over commercial licenses... the tube concessionare could provide pfds for a nominal fee. And require renters to at least have them like canoe rentals do.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Is a tube a vessel under the law like a canoe? If so, shouldn't there be one pfd per person and kids have to wear one?

Issuing tickets would help educate the public :)

Of course that line of thinking leads down the rabbit hole of not needing a pfd while swimming but needing one while paddling or tubing.
Bryan Signorelli

mgood

Post by mgood » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Requiring PFD's would be bad. Signage is all that is needed. Stupid is a stupid does, and liability stops at the ordinary high water mark for the park. That is all.

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Natural Selection-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm curious. The wave features were designed (well) by a company known for creating exciting paddle sport "parks". By mixing it, through the benevolence of a publicly minded foundation, with a city park where families and kids come out to enjoy swimming and being in and near water, has it somehow morphed into a potentially dangerous place? Looking at other whitewater kayak and raft parks (http://www.borntopaddle.com/whitewaterparks.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it seems rare to have it mixed with a place where children and non-paddlers, with no protection, can readily access potentially dangerous features. It's actually an invite for them to jump in. The smooth concrete slab is a great attraction to youngsters to get a run and slide. Forget the once in a while collision between us paddlers and the tubers/swimmers. It's the unprotected unknowing enjoying a potentially deadly force of nature enhanced at the hands of talented designers and proffered by a City as a family park who can only distance themselves with "At Your Own Risk" signage. Maybe lifeguards are the answer.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:44 pm

One fatal incident can change the perspective on most of this. IMHO the signs were an excellent start to a solution. I guess we'll see how things progress this summer. And "darwinism" is a poor metaphor for preventable deaths and injuries. It is certainly not one I see used frequently when tragedy strikes a member of the paddling community.

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Codger - I'm full of "poor metaphors". My only badly made point is, that at some point it's each person's own responsibility. -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Social Media