10-12 year old boy. He got hung up in about 30'
of rope that was tied to a 30 lb rock that was
most likely someone's boat anchor. This was
About 1/2 way between the top wave and the
2nd feature. Pretty chaotic scene as 2 other
kayakers and myself made numerous attempts
to free the boy while another guy held his head
from going under(barely.) He was finally pulled
free and the rope was removed from the water.
The problem is there's no telling what that is under
the water that is a hidden danger and how do we
inform the general population about this?
I think the majority of people going there assume
that it is as safe as the local city owned swimming
pools. The SSWWP is awesome and I am so thankful
that we have it but I am also very concerned that
something could happen there.

Tommy

magicmike
Name: Mike

Re: It almost happened today

Post by magicmike » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Glad ya'll were there. Good work! Where were the kids parents? -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Sir Kayakalot
Name: Tommy farris

Post by Sir Kayakalot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:04 pm

I don't know if it was his parents or just family
friends he was with, but there were a lot of
people in his swimming group that were close
by when the incident happened. I talked to some
of the folks he was with afterwards. They were
shook up, understandably, as was everyone else
that witnessed it.

Tommy

mgood

Post by mgood » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:21 pm

So the real question is- why was there a submerged rope in between the two features? this makes almost no sense.

That is a terrifying event, as an aside. Thank god that help was available- what about the beginner who swims off the first feature? There hasn't been anything submerged until now...

perspective7
Name: Seth

Post by perspective7 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Lots of little kids out there with no pfd's unaware of the currents and eddy lines. Just a big water slide. They could use some signs explaining this or make pfd's a requirement.

dinan

Post by dinan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm glad you guys were able to help. Was the kid wearing a Life Jacket? I was out there today and noticed most of them didn't.

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Me and Cowper Watched two locals swim the tot falls today with no pdf at all . one went all the way to the bottom , didn't look like he was enjoying his ride. I roped the other to the bank..... Sure thought Dude #1 was going to the "OTHERSIDE"
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

adamm
Name: adam

Post by adamm » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 pm

I can guarantee 90+% of the general population that has been out there are oblivious to the dangers that are in a river. I have seen a few kids already with facial injuries due to them swimming head first through the features. I have had a few come over the bottom drop head first while I was surfing and came very very close to leaving their teeth in my bow.

There needs to be a push for life jackets to be worn by EVERYONE in the river at the park.

The crowding issue is only going to get worse as more people learn about how fun it is to be there. The concessioner renting the tubes is going to make more money to buy more tubes to rent to more people and the list goes on.

The general public has just as much right to be there as we do and all we can do is try to coexist and not be the root cause of any accidents.

As boaters we are most likely to be first responders out there and likely the most highly trained in rescue and first aid but at some point a good majority of us will avoid being there during the busy times of the day/year and will not be there to assist when the SHTF.

It's a sad situation but people are going to get hurt there due to their own ignorance and there is nothing we can do to completely prevent it from happening.

If you spend any amount of time in the outdoors; which if you are reading this forum you probably qualify, you need some first aid and cpr training and if you spend any amount of time in and around a river you need swift water rescue training. You dont know when the person right next to you is going to need help fast. When seconds count like in this situation would you be able to respond???
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

Sir Kayakalot
Name: Tommy farris

Post by Sir Kayakalot » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 am

Mgood- I would imagine the rope tied to the
rock fell out of an over turned canoe that was
originally going to be some fishermans boat
anchor, that's the only reason I can think of but
who knows. Very few people were wearing life
jackets, maybe 5%. The boy that was involved
was not wearing one. I will not be going back
myself on a weekend during the summer. We
had to wait 5-10 minutes between surfs to get
a turn on the wave because of the number of
tubers and swimmers coming through. It will
just get busier too, especially now with the
concession set up in the parking lot renting out
tubes and kayaks.

Adamm- I agree, there needs to be a push for
PFDs to be worn, and they need to stop swimming
thru head first. I have seen a few that keep doing
it even after being scraped and bleeding on the face
and chin.

Tommy

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:19 am

Glad this kid is OK. Glad you guys were there to help. That sounds like a fluke accident, but I tell you - it is a fluke there haven't been MANY more. When I'd kayak the Illinois state line-to-Talequah - I realized there are NO rapids, falls, nothing - so that is why the "stupid" I witnessed [aside from alcohol dehydration] would get a pass. The River Park [which is awesome] I can already see is a bit sophisticated for an uninformed 'public'. What is the current law for the "river" in Arkansas regarding PFDs? While on the water does anything the 'public' park ascribe actually apply? For example: "No alcohol". Problem is ['hypothetically'], you have an outfitter 3.5 miles down river letting people "stumble drunk" into canoes and rafts as they are dumped 200 ft above the river park. ON the river - alcohol is allowed. Still, I'm much more worried about the kids [and pets] who are potential victims of 'bad masters'. Was the guy offering inner tube rentals also offering PFDs? I didn't notice any, and I didn't notice anybody using them wearing one. Maybe we need to start by education the outfitters?
I'm definitely ready for some swift water rescue training. Refresher CPR. Whatever. Any plans soon for any of that at the River Park location? With some warning, I'd even be willing to host the 'land-based' activities at my HOME in Siloam Springs if necessary.

Charles

P.S. - I learned to roll this last weekend. I also learned Sunday I cannot roll with a panicking 14 year old girl hanging on to my upside down boat.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:42 am

Like Adamm said. A lot of us have already decided not to be there at all during peak times. It will be early mornings for me until fall.-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

unicorn
Name: Ryan Hughes

Post by unicorn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 am

So I was out there saturday afternoon and witnessed a kid pin himself across one of the fish ladders with a rec boat. No helmet, no PFD, no parents anywhere in sight. He was fine, one of his little buddies pulled him up before I could get there, but he could have easily not been.

I'm giving it a month or two tops before some dies out there and the city shuts it down.
"The flower children have grown thorns" - Abbie Hoffman

panicman

Post by panicman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 am

WHat are the regulations out on boulder creek through boulder colorado. I know they have a bunch of tubers on that section and i think they have regs on life jackets ect. What about the city making a life jacket zone on that small section. Put river signage just above the bridge and throughout the park that life jackets are mandatory. That would make the tube rental person have to provide them also or come up with an ordinance no vending in park boundaries.

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 am

I think PFD's are an absolute must.
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 am

On a positive note, a family asked me about the park [towels under arm] Sunday morning. I told them my opinion of options and said I wouldn't go in without PFD, simply due to unknowns with current, crowds, and 'hard rock' surfaces. In the afternoon I saw them return with gear [tubes, water shoes, and PFDs] still cutting the tags off new PFDs. A minor victory, but you can be a positive influence. PFDs can be an expensive purchase for many. Would be great if River Park sponsors could fund a PFD hand-out for the grand opening. Would also be great to get some of these young cops interested in play-boating. A few 'black & white' kayaks on the water might stem the tide of @$#%! being dropped off next to the bridge above the water park.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

Social Media