Kayaker from Arkansas Drowns In Texas

Open Discussion

MissEllie
Name: Ellanorah Wilson

Kayaker from Arkansas Drowns In Texas

Post by MissEllie » Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Does anyone know this guy - did not know if he is a regular kayaker or not.

http://www.thv11.com/story/news/local/2 ... t/9248103/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Kayaker from Arkansas Drowns In Texas

Post by Cowper » Mon May 19, 2014 6:07 am

Not that it makes it any less tragic, but I'd say if anyone in the ACC knows him, it is only because he is a friend, not because he is/was a regular kayaker. I based this on two things; one, he was in a rented kayak, while every ACC member I know would own their own boat and rents only on very rare occasions (like an out of country trip, when flying on business, trying out new models, etc.), and secondly, by the time you get interested enough in the sport to join a club, you also end up knowing that if you are not a strong swimmer, you should wear your PFD all the time, even in summer or on the lake. This victim drowned in a lake; you just can't do that while wearing a PFD unless there is some additional medical problem or an issue with hypothermia, which wouldn't kick in so quickly in Texas in May.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

MissEllie
Name: Ellanorah Wilson

Post by MissEllie » Mon May 19, 2014 10:35 pm

I noticed that he was at a family event, could be why he rented if he had not brought his own boat. Also being a family event - if it is like a lot of families then adult beverage might have contributed.

I also wondered about drowning that close to shore. You are right - could be that he had a medical issue that put him in the water but then he drown.

I know that I get lax with the PFD at times & I know better. Especially after my famous ticket - I try to keep it on all the time. Items like this remind me that you do not get advanced warning when something is going to happen.

I am sad for the family....

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Just to second the PFD comments. I was practicing my 'wet exit' in my first WW boat, in the river just 3 weeks ago in only 5 feet of water. I forgot my nose plug on the fourth try and filled my sinuses almost immediately when I tipped over. Not ashamed to admit I panicked, pushed out early with new skirt attached and legs wedged, and was VERY thankful my PFD oriented my without any effort on my part so I could puke up a gallon of river water a few valuable seconds earlier. I'm a great swimmer, but I'll never go in without it.
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri May 23, 2014 6:27 am

:myday" I'm an excellent swimmer, competent paddler etc.... That said, I never paddle without my PFD securely strapped on. No matter how calm or easy the run seems to be. When stuff happens, it happens FAST.

On class 0, I wear it. On the Elk, Illinois, big sugar, little sugar.... I wear it. Sometimes, people mistake me for the law because of the knife, whistle.. Etc. which is great! No beer bumming from those folks.

If your PFD is not comfy enough to wear all day, then you need a new one. If you get "too hot" in your PFD, jump in the water.

Those of us who are properly trained in swift water rescue are often advised to ignore an adult with no PFD in distress... Why should I risk my life to help someone who won't take the first step in helping themselves?

However goofy you may think you look to the average, jean cutoff, shirtless floater for wearing it; I can assure you that you look ten times a stupid to the average paddler for NOT wearing it. :twocents:

A rant, I know. But I'm tired of the 6th grader-esque machismo when I comes to PFDs, bike helmets and seat belts.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Fri May 23, 2014 3:31 pm

tomOzarkVideo wrote: A rant, I know. But I'm tired of the 6th grader-esque machismo when I comes to PFDs, bike helmets and seat belts.
I agree with you Tom. I've been trying to spread the word here locally lately since the man from Arkansas drowned last weekend. I grew up on that lake and know exactly where it was this happened. Most of my local friends and relatives use that lake and others nearby so many of them heard about it. I have posted info on my Facebook as well as the North Texas River Runners page about some PFD safety and statistics here in TX. There have been 12 people in TX already this month die on TX waterways. I'm sure no PFD was a big portion of those.

Like clockwork ever summer season I have friends and family post pics online of them having fun at the lake or river and not one of them is wearing a PFD. I've been trying to be somewhat of a voice of reason. Never condescending or attacking them in any way. Just trying to spread a little safety. If we could all do that and a couple people take it to heart and put one on then that is a couple more people that are less likely to drown. I personally think the PFD laws should be more strict and enforced as much as the litter laws are.

Social Media