Grand Canyon Gear Advice Request

Open Discussion

GN YAKN

Grand Canyon Gear Advice Request

Post by GN YAKN » Fri May 09, 2014 5:46 am

I have a friend that will get to make a 21-day Grand Canyon trip in September.

She is looking for the perfect pfd for the trip and seeking suggestions on brands, models, # floatation, ratings, etc.

She also was interested in advice on footwear. Neoprene booties? Wool socks & sandals? Other ideas?

I know we have tons of experience in our group of paddlers and we can help this young lady out with some advice.

I bragged on you guys and told her this was the place to get info from friendly and experienced GC lovers.

What say yee? :twocents:
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

Roger

Re: Grand Canyon Gear Advice Request

Post by Roger » Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 am

http://www.nrs.com/product/2153/nrs-big-water-guide-pfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I bought for Kim and myself for our trip. 22# of flotation!!! It worked for me at Crystal!!! :D

Also, closed-toe river shoes with several pair of quick-dry socks. That sand can wear on your feet if not careful. Booties will work but the river shoes can double as hiking shoes where as booties lack somewhat in that department.

Wide-brimmed hat. Plenty of sun screen/block. That's for starters.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:14 pm

This may sound silly coming from an old man but, very good hand lotion is a must. On my trip my hands and feet seemed to take the worst beating. I took a pair of cotton socks to sleep in. Just before turning in I put lotion on my feet and slept in the cotton socks. That is the only cotton I took , of course we went in December and the weather was pretty cold. 17 one morning then 18 to 20 the next, nothing better than ice water on the raft floor.:0) September should be prime as far as the weather goes.

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri May 09, 2014 12:45 pm

arkansas-santa1 wrote:This may sound silly coming from an old man but, very good hand lotion is a must. On my trip my hands and feet seemed to take the worst beating. I took a pair of cotton socks to sleep in. Just before turning in I put lotion on my feet and slept in the cotton socks. That is the only cotton I took , of course we went in December and the weather was pretty cold. 17 one morning then 18 to 20 the next, nothing better than ice water on the raft floor.:0) September should be prime as far as the weather goes.
Good advice.

Bag Balm works for this. Cornhuskers and Udder Cream are others. Cotton gloves and cotton socks after lathering up.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

jermdog

Post by jermdog » Fri May 09, 2014 2:59 pm

I always wear flip-flops when I'm down there. Chacos or Montrail make great ones that you can still do hikes in. There is less material to rub you when the sand gets overwhelming.
Second the lotion, but wait till you get to Flagstaff and buy some Super Salve, it heals cracks, smells great, and doesn't leave your hands greasy at all if you're on the sticks, or carrying boxes for that matter.
Also, a pair of headphones and an ipod or something like that is nice to get away from the constant chatter of your group. I get sick of even the nicest of people after spending endless hours with them.
Tequila is always good.
Rokken Like Dokken

GN YAKN

Post by GN YAKN » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Mucho Dittos on the lotion and socks ideas.

The biggest challenges I run into out west have to do with skin conditioning due to the dry desert air.

I also have huge issues with running round in wet shoes all day. I found that Tevas or Chacos or Keens with wool socks worked pretty well for me during the day on the river and then at night around the campfire. had to change out the socks frequently and tried to keep my feet dry as much as possible once off the river.

Found that wearing socks off the river with sandals also helped keep the ground from drying out my heels!

We found that using super glue on our cuticles and fingernails was a huge preventative measure. If a cuticle cracks the super glue was a good remedy, also.

I suggested a full size campchair was a necessity!

Dave
Dave Robertson

"Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.....
Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRX6hSGeZs4

Social Media