Robert "Sparky" Mitzel

Open Discussion

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Robert "Sparky" Mitzel

Post by Eric Esche » Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 pm

Sorry to bear bad tidings, but figured that folks here would want to know. Robert Mitzel, known to most of us in NW Arkansas as "Sparky", died this morning from cancer. Sparky was the first paddler I met after moving to Rogers/Monte Ne.

Services not announced yet.

Saw it on a facebook post by Gretchen Fidler and called her to confirm it. She said she got a call from a daughter of Sparky's, about a cat she had placed with Sparky, asking to keep it for a granddaughter.

Eric Esche
Last edited by Eric Esche on Mon May 05, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Re: Brent "Sparky" Glover

Post by cpresoz » Sun May 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Damn. What a decent, warm hearted guy. He touched many people on first contact and beyond. I had hoped he had the cancer whipped.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Dam, very bad news . He was a great guy & fellow paddler . Thanks Eric even thou bad news. I have been wondering about Sparky. I was hoping he had the cancer whipped too.
See ya on the water,
Rob

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:04 am

Yep Sparky was a GREAT guy, he was one who always said he was in church while he was on the river. I figure he will be "in church" all the time now. Will miss paddling with him on the yearly float on the lower Buffalo. :(

Benji
Name: Ben Maguire

Post by Benji » Mon May 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Eric-Sparkys name is Robert Mitzel. Not sure where you got Brent Glover at but that's incorrect. He got the nickname from his days as an electrician. He's been a family friend for 20+ years and I can definitely say he had a big influence on myself and the boating community. I'll never forget all the great days we all enjoyed on the Mulberry over the years and our yearly run down the wilderness section of the Buffalo.I will always cherish the time we got to spend with you and I'll never forget my friend.

arkansas-santa1

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:53 pm

I just found out that Sparky will have memorial service Wednesday 5/7 @ Sisco Funeral home in Springdale @ 2pm.

arkansas-santa1

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:54 pm

I just found out that Sparky will have memorial service Wednesday 5/7 @ Sisco Funeral home in Springdale @ 2pm.

Eric Esche

Re: "Sparky"

Post by Eric Esche » Mon May 05, 2014 5:25 pm

I guess Sparky was having a joke on me that day, as I had my paddleing directory out and wrote down what he said when I asked him what his given name was, as all I had ever heard him called was "Sparky." He did have a sense of humor and always a smile.
Eric Esche

dusty
Name: Dusty

Re: Robert "Sparky" Mitzel

Post by dusty » Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Sparky was a great guy. He was always helpful and ready to paddle . He will definitely be missed . With all he has taught me about boating i'm sure he had taught lots others as well may his (spark) carry on forever !!

Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Jim Potts at Lewis & Clark said he heard that it was a heart attack that got Sparky and that they will see us there Wed. Some how I can see Sparky grinning that he had beat the big C at the end. Sorry for the inaccuracies. Sparky's subtle humor got me and it only took me 8 years to find out.

Eric Esche

Obituary for Robert "Sparky" Mitzel
Robert “Sparky” Mitzel, 58, died May 4, 2014 in Springdale. He was born January 3, 1956 in Highland Park, Illinois to Robert Benjamin Mitzel and Gloria Ruth Lewis.

Sparky was a generator and an oil field technician. Sparky was paddle instructor for Lewis and Clark Outfitters. He loved to share his knowledge and passion for the water. He was an avid outdoorsman and also loved camping and hiking.

Survivors include one daughter, Cheshire Brooks and husband Robert, and one brother, Stan Mitzel both from Russellville, Arkansas. Three grandchildren; Alexa Wages, Lillian Hansen, and Andrew Brooks.

A Celebration of Life will be held at Sisco Funeral Chapel in Springdale on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM.

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Mon May 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Several years ago when I joined ACC and registered for the message board the name I chose was based on the ww boat I paddle (Esquif Spark). Out of respect for the real Sparky I'll retire the name….that's if I can figure out how to do it.

Brent

Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Mon May 05, 2014 8:31 pm

I could imagine Sparky wanting you to continue the name for the boat's sake, and just remembering him to others when you talk about it, instead of retiring the board name. He really liked to paddle and came alive on the water.

Eric Esche

Schildwache
Name: Richard Dees

Post by Schildwache » Mon May 05, 2014 11:07 pm

A sad day, indeed. When I got into paddling several years ago I bought my first boat from Sparky and would go into Lewis & Clark just to chat. His evening paddles out at the lake were a relaxing introduction for many to the sport. "Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees." - Stonewall Jackson's last words seem appropriate.
"...play skilfully, and shout for joy." (Psalm 33:3 NIV)
"I hope I die before I become incurious or hostile to new delights" - Philip Martin

Social Media