DamNation Screening, 5-16-14

Open Discussion
kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: DamNation Screening, 5-16-14

Post by kru1 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Hell yeah, thought they would be scared to mention us since we will be competing with LA's screening on the same night!

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Post by greg vanhorn » Thu May 08, 2014 7:28 am

Here is a link to Yvon Chouinard's Op-Ed in yesterday's NY Times! He makes some interesting points...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/opini ... share&smv2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See yall Friday the 16th in Bentonville. Drinks at 21c Bar afterwards!!!

Cordially,
Greg

greg vanhorn

Post by greg vanhorn » Thu May 08, 2014 5:42 pm

And the NY Times Op-Ed today, again!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg vanhorn

Post by greg vanhorn » Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm

John, I'd be interested in hearing more about the "Old Pump House Dam." Is there an operating pump house? What is the size of the dam? Why is it a deadbeat dam?

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Post by Half Ton » Fri May 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Very nice!

The old pump house dam just off of Pump Station Rd and Armstrong rd in South Fayetteville is a potential opportunity for a step in restoration of the West Fork of the White River (WFWR)and removal from the Impaired Rivers list which it has been on for at least the past decade.

WFWR is listed for turbidity and the aquatic life use is no longer being met. Part of the aquatic life missing are several species of mussels and fish. The missing species are certainly not able to move up and down stream of the powerhouse dam. This limits natural movement of aquatic wildlife, separates populations, makes it easier for them to go missing like they have.

If the dam is removed then the aquatic life would be able to access 10-12 more river miles up to the riverside park assuming they can move up over the low water bridge in the zone beneath the Waste Water Treatment Plant of West Fork.

That portion of the river would be less like a boggy slew stagnant swamp and more like a clear flowing stream.

The back up of water alters the rivers gradient and increases sediment buildup throughout the entire river system upstream. It changes the flow of the river and causes erosion.

The problems with its removal are that it is right down stream of a Brownfield Site. Who knows what is in the sediment behind it. A headcut will want to take place when it is removed and will have to be controlled in some fashion.

A white water play feature as part of a natural channel restoration and fishing area would be optimal. Or, maybe the dam can stay to prevent any kind of nasty sediment release into the downstream river and is can be bypassed as part of a natural channel restoration like is taking place at Drake Field on the WFWR right now.

American Rivers. The Ecology of Dam Removal: A summary of benefits and impacts. 2002. http://www.michigandnr.com/PUBLICATIONS ... emoval.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
United States Army Corps of Engineers: Benefits of Dam Removal Reach Farther Than Expected. 2012. http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/Media/New ... ected.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency: Lowhead Dam Removal. 2013. http://www.epa.ohio.gov/portals/47/medi ... emoval.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

greg vanhorn

Post by greg vanhorn » Fri May 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Old Pump House Dam sounds like a perfect example of not cleaning up after ourselves. Leaving an abandoned dam behind that no longer serves it's original purpose and now degrades the water quality, causes erosion, blocks wild fish migration and produces greenhouse gasses is a typical example of a "deadbeat dam" that needs to be removed.

"From an early age we are taught that we are responsible for cleaning up our own mess. But this lesson also applies to our home planet. When we despoil a place with toxic waste, change our climate with fossil fuels or build a destructive soon-to-be useless dam, we have the responsibility to clean it up and make it all whole and natural again."
-- Yvon Chouinard

maggiepowell
Name: Maggie

Post by maggiepowell » Tue May 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Just letting other Central AR clubbers that I plan to drive up there Friday, not sure what time yet though. I planned to stay the night at my cousins house but if others want to find someplace to camp, I might be up for that. Not sure what I plan to do Sat., either the West Fork clean up or going to Turpentine Wildlife Refuge in Eureka.

Maggie Powell
eight31-one8eight6

Also, has anyone seen the parts of this documentary: http://www.elwhafilm.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's about the removal of 2 Elwha river dams. The film has not been fully released yet but you can see parts at:
http://www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/e ... ration.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greg vanhorn

Post by greg vanhorn » Tue May 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Maggie, Return of the River looks like a great film! Thank you for coming up to Bentonville for the film and After Party! I hope others from the Central Chapter coming? See ya Friday.
Last edited by greg vanhorn on Tue May 13, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maggiepowell
Name: Maggie

Post by maggiepowell » Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 pm

I haven't heard of any others going up, but will check with other members. My guess is it may be competing with running rivers which, of course, comes before most else. I am in a walking boot so I haven't been paddling in a while.

Maggie

greg vanhorn

Post by greg vanhorn » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 am

Men and Women of the Arkansas Canoe Club,
I hope to see everyone at the Ozark Premier of DamNation tomorrow night in Bentonville at 406 NW 2nd St. The city is doing roadwork on NW2nd, but you can park near the square and walk or find a side street and park behind the school. Bring friends and come on out. This film is about hope. When dams come down, rivers come back to life.

People who can navigate rivers and streams deserve respect and admiration. If you love rivers and streams, you are a friend of mine. We need these flowing waterways to enjoy what we love to do and they need us. Join the conversation. Let your voice be heard. Recruit a friend to join the ACC.

"Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." --Edward Abbey

Thank you ACC for hosting this film!

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Flying the flag at Old Bentonville High.

Great night. Thanks for all the support,

kru
Attachments
DamNation.jpg
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Social Media