Shoulder Injuries

Open Discussion

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Shoulder Injuries

Post by RomanLA » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:59 am

Anyone had a labral tear? If so, did you opt for surgery? Thanks!

Owl

Re: Shoulder Injuries

Post by Owl » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Yes and yes. The ortho said he would have gone with a more conservative approach if my other shoulder wasn't already jacked. PM or email me if you want more info.

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 am

After a bunch of online research, I think I'm going to put off surgery and see how it goes. It's a small tear, so I'm going to give physical therapy a shot. It was a workplace injury, so I have 3 years after my last worker's comp payment to decide. My only concern is a small tear turning into a large tear, but I only get to paddle big stuff a handful of days each year. Maybe I'll try to go full time hand paddling for a while to really strengthen it! Thanks!

Louiscov
Name: Louis Covington

Post by Louiscov » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 am

Roman:

One of our Ozark Society had that surgery 2 - 3 years ago and did fine with it and has been actively paddling since. If you'd likie to hear from her PM me you email and I'll send it to her,

louis c
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind In the Willows

"I am haunted by waters." A River Runs Through It

louis covington

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 am

Roman,

Having endured neck and shoulder issues for years and spent a bunch of money and time on medical solutions, I understand a bit of what you are experiencing.

Like you, my plan has always been take it easy, rehab myself and not go under the knife.

Problem is taking it easy paddling was / is difficult for me (and, knowing you - I bet for you as well)
It does not take busting the big ones to re injure healing shoulder / neck tissue. I have created several big problems doing work outs on the lakes around home.

Advice from someone who has and is still there, find a good sports Doc, pay attention to them and be real careful not to stress that area of your body even on flat or semi flat water.

Good luck

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media