Favorite Canoe Camping River in Midwest/South

Open Discussion
kru1
Name: Kristian

Favorite Canoe Camping River in Midwest/South

Post by kru1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 pm

Ok a geographer has struck out, and now I am seeking some enlightenment. I'm drawing blanks on Google searches, so I thought I would ask the question to the board. What are your favorite* canoe camping rivers in the Midwest/South?

*Let me eliminate a few of the obvious answer; Buffalo, Kings, Eleven Point, Current, Jack's Fork, Meramec, Gasconade, and Big Piney (MO). In fact, I think that I would like to float beyond the Ozark Plateau or even past the Interior Highlands (includes the Ouachitas).

Why would I exclude those rivers? A little background would be in order. Liz and I were married on Memorial Day weekend, and our wedding gift was a tandem canoe. Since then, we have made a tradition of doing a solo downriver float on our anniversary weekend. We have covered those rivers for our anniversary and many other additional times. This year is our 10th anniversary, so I would like for the trip to be different/unique. We'll go back to our Ozark streams next year.

We are not picky. We love the outdoors and canoeing/camping; blackwater, whitewater, coastal, lakes (not damned reservoirs). Trying to keep it within a days drive (12hrs) from Arkansas. Solitude would be great but not required.

Let me hear your favorites, I would love to learn of an unknown (to me) treasure. Thanks,

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Favorite Canoe Camping River in Midwest/South

Post by Deuce » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:12 am

Kristian, you need to ask this question on Paddling.net. There are several people on there who have the firsthand knowledge you need. One in particular who comes to mind is Peter Blanc (handle pblanc). Great guy and incredible open boater who loves river tripping. He's on here occasionally but he shows up on Pnet much more often. He's not the only one. Post up there and I bet you'll get the answer(s) you seek. Good luck. I love it that y'all do that together.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 am

Forgot to mention, be sure to brief them on your background, especially that you're a good paddler who can handle some white water.
You come too.
Robert Frost

kru1

Post by kru1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:19 am

Good suggestion. Done. All this time I thought that site was for gear/boat reviews only.

kru

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 am

Two great and very diverse suggestions already and Pete hasn't even weighed in yet. There's one he really likes that would also be a good fit but I can't remember what it is. I'm way too young to have that problem LOL. Think it's my job.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tenacious D

Post by Tenacious D » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:13 am

Check out the Obed River, Tennessee looks promising and its like its around 10 hours away
http://www.rivers.gov/rivers/obed.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nps.gov/obed/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:11 pm

You might want to look at water trails in MN: http://dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/location_map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Vermillion, Big Fork, Cloquet, and St. Louis have all been recommended to me several times. Photos I've seen look very inviting, and lots of river miles to explore!

The Boundary Waters is the granddad of them all - I think that's a bit more than your 12 hrs. But probably worth it!

Have a good one!
Fish

kru1

Post by kru1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm

Fish wrote:You might want to look at water trails in MN: http://dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/location_map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Vermillion, Big Fork, Cloquet, and St. Louis have all been recommended to me several times. Photos I've seen look very inviting, and lots of river miles to explore!

The Boundary Waters is the granddad of them all - I think that's a bit more than your 12 hrs. But probably worth it!

Have a good one!
Fish
BWCA was the first time I stepped into a canoe and the first exploration Liz and I went on together back in 2001. Get in a canoe for a six day trip with someone you are dating and you either break up or get engaged. Fortunately for us it was the later. I missed the permit application for BWCA, not happening this year. I'll look into the others.

Thanks,
kru

kru1

Post by kru1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Dub D wrote:Check out the Obed River, Tennessee looks promising and its like its around 10 hours away
http://www.rivers.gov/rivers/obed.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nps.gov/obed/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've camped & hiked there, but the river/s were too low to float. Loved the area. It is on my radar as a possibility. Thanks for the info.

kru

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Post by T Yamashita » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:10 am

Here's a few I thought of

Buffalo in Tennessee, harpeth in Tennessee, caney fork in tennessee, ouiska chitto in LA, and okatoma creek in MS. I know there are others but need to think more. Good luck!

We also bought a green Dagger Legend 16' when we got married. Great boat and we still love it.

ty

RiverRatRon
Name: Ron

Post by RiverRatRon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 pm

The upper TN Buffalo,Clear Creek in the Obed area in TN from US 127 to Barnett brid ge the Sipsey in Alabama.is a wonderful overnighter . ge

RiverRatRon
Name: Ron

Post by RiverRatRon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 pm

The Big South Fork of the Cumberland River in the TN/Ky area.There is no camping allowed on the Harpeth River

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Post by Chicago Bob » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Let us not forget the Father of Waters, the Mississippi. But the Buffalo in Tennessee is also good. The Big South Fork of the Cumberland and the Obed are water dependent. The best canoe camping section of the Big South Fork also sports two class 4 rapids requiring a portage of at least your gear if you have the skills to run them. Good luck and have fun. BOB

kru1

Post by kru1 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 pm

The good thing is that I have the time off and the boat will be loaded on the car. I can head in any direction to follow the water. Got my eye on a few rivers in WI & MS.

Will be watching the Clear in the Obed system, as you mentioned 127 to Barnett. Can always use Leatherwood to Blue Heron on the South Fork if it is too low (already thought about portage the gear and run the rapids on Angel and Devil). Keep hearing good things about the Buffalo (TN), need to look more closely at that one.

This is the first that I have heard of the Sipsey, will research it.

Thanks for the info,
kru

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Post by Chicago Bob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:25 pm

I have one more that I forgot about but it was always a favorite of the Chicago based Prairie State Canoe Club. That was the Lower Wisconsin River. Lots of sandbar camping on a river with braided channels. Prairie State does long weekend trips on both Labor Day and Memorial Day weekends. BOB

Social Media