Jamie Coogan hospitalized

Open Discussion
Chester

Jamie Coogan hospitalized

Post by Chester » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:32 am

We put off a creek hike scheduled for today, because Mike's wife Jamie, had been really sick with a stomach virus for several days. Yesterday, she apparently passed out and fell down the stairs at their home, striking her head severely, and was knocked unconscious. She was taken to the hospital, and is still unconscious this morning in the surgical ICU. But, tests show no neck or major head injury from the fall, and it now appears this was due to an electrolyte imbalance brought on from prescribed medicine and the sickness. Prognosis is good at this time.

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Re: Jamie Coogan hospitalized

Post by Jim E » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

Wishing my best to Jamie and Mike!! Thanks for posting Chester.
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 am

Thank You Chester, I'm very sorry to hear this, and will hope Jamie will be better very soon.

Jim

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Let them know where thinking of them. What hospital ? Update us please

Karla

Chester

Post by Chester » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

As of 5:00pm Jamie is moving a little but that's it. They have run some sort of brain activity test, perhaps an EEG, but he has not heard the results.

wally

Post by wally » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Mike, my prayers are with you and Jamie that the outcome will be good.
Wally
White Tundra with a Green Mohawk on top.

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:10 am

wally wrote:Mike, my prayers are with you and Jamie that the outcome will be good.
Wally
X2 on this.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Chester

Post by Chester » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 am

Finally reached Mike again this am. His wife is still basically unresponsive, her breathing is being assisted, and he has still no results from the earlier EEG. She is at Baptist Hospital, in the Surgical ICU; but visitation is limited/not easy, with him not knowing when he'll be there himself. At this time he has people watching his home, etc., and has no other needs at this time.

CAPTAIN ALEVE
Name: Mike Coogan

Post by CAPTAIN ALEVE » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Wednesday night 2/19/14. Hello to you all. Good news today, second hand from the day nurse in the SICU at Baptist in Little Rock, from Jamie's neurologist: the brain trauma and bleeding from her fall on Monday evening is not significant enough to need surgery or any special treatment. She is still unconscious, on a breathing tube and feeding tube, has about a 100 degree fever, and responding to pain input with body motions. She has not opened her eyes while I have been in the room. After a day and a half at the hospital I discovered I am a wimp and can't stay there overnight; I'll be spending the nights at home and most of the day at the hospital, trying to catch the doctors for direct reports on each of their specialties: neurology, nutrition, electrolytes, respiratory. Great staff, very attendant and efficient; Baptist is a certified trauma center so that is what we would expect. In general she is progressing in the good direction with larger movements of her legs, fewer episodes of thrashing, high blood pressure, and rapid breathing. The number one suspect for causing the seizure while on our stairs and subsequent fall and head trauma, low sodium level (possibly due to vomiting for three days with a stomach virus combined with a new diuretic for her hearing problem in her right ear), continues to be raised slowly to avoid further harm. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and cheered me up (I'm a basket case) and watched Jamie so I could take a break and get home to take care of the cats and get cleaned up. I have found out that I can't stay at the hospital all night or day and still be able to function, so I will be spending nights at home. The SICU staff said they will call me if she regains consciousness. Thanks for all your prayers and support.

Mike
PHOTOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17863908@N03/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More paddling info at http://class2arkansas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

happy happy happy
Name: Grant Howe

Post by happy happy happy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 am

Hang in there
These things bring us together for a reson,for the ones that believe in pray then do your best.
My wife was in coma for a week+ under a similar situation. Very much the same. She is her tonight and I give my thanks to GOD and ones that pray.
Thank you

Clif

Post by Clif » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:13 am

Been praying!! Glad to hear positive news. Will continue.

I would have been by or in touch were we closer. Hang in there!!
You sure this is on the right channel?

CAPTAIN ALEVE
Name: Mike Coogan

Post by CAPTAIN ALEVE » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:41 am

Hello everyone,

Jamie is still unconscious this Thursday. I spoke to several of Jamie's doctors this morning. The neurologist gave me the depressing news that I should expect her recovery from the brain trauma will be measured in months, and to expect her to have to go through therapy. I didn't ask what kind of therapy he meant; I'll be sure to find out when I see him next. Her day nurse said it is probably best not to give her much stimulation at this time, so the lights will be dim unless they are necessary. The respiratory nurse said she is breathing "above the machine" and that the tube is in there in large part to seal off her airways from any saliva, etc. Another nurse checked her pupils and said they looked good, responding to light as they should.

I can't sit in a chair for more than a few hours now due to a pinched nerve in my back, so I will visit her in the early mornings, go home about 9:00 a.m., come back in early afternoon for a few hours until about 3:00 p.m. and return again about 6:00. Feel free to visit anytime from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. in small numbers. No flowers are permitted in Baptist SICU. Thanks for all your support, prayers, and positive thoughts.

Mike
PHOTOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17863908@N03/sets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More paddling info at http://class2arkansas.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liz Caldwell

Post by Liz Caldwell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Mike,

I am so sorry you and Jamie are going through this. Mike and I are thinking of you.
Liz

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Mike Gary and I till thinking of you and Jamie hoping for good news

Karla and GAry

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Mike,

At times like these, I always feel that words mean so little, but please know that Debbie and I are thinking of you and Jamie and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Cowper
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Social Media