Most popular whitewater in Arkansas

Open Discussion

jim_bridger

Most popular whitewater in Arkansas

Post by jim_bridger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:33 am

Hey all,
I'm doing some research for a little project on Arkansas whitewater. In your opinion, which are the 8-10 most popular technical whitewater runs in the state?
On another note, how popular is creeking in Arkansas? Where is the most popular creeking?
Finally, what sets Arkansas whitewater apart from other states? What are the unique qualities, challenges, etc of floating a river in Arkansas? If you were plopped into your kayak in an Arkansas river blindfolded and had the cloth removed, what key features of the river would give it away as being distinctively "Arkansas"?
Thanks guys! Any little bit helps!

Fish

Re: Most popular whitewater in Arkansas

Post by Fish » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:15 pm

The short answer to what are the most popular technical runs in the state is: whichever ones have enough water...

The longer answer depends on what you consider technical and popular. If class 2 is technical, then the most popular runs in terms of number of people on them each year would be things like Buffalo R, Mulberry R, Big Piney Cr., Caddo R., Frog Bayou, etc. Orders of magnitude more people on those than anything class 3 and up.

If it's steep(er) creeks/rivers, then the most frequented of them are almost certainly Cossatot, Richland, Hailstone, Little Missouri, and EFLB - probably in close to that order. The rest of the steeper runs are one run only occasionally - when they have enough water, which is a very rare event. Among the more frequently run are probably Spirits Cr., Bobtail Cr., Stepp Cr., Beech Cr., Big Devils Cr., Osage Cr., and Sugar Cr.. I'm no doubt leaving some out on that list tho. Most of the steeps are "once in a few years" types of affairs - unfortunately - so how many people run them is kind of a moot point IMO.

But if you mean "popular" in the sense of "how desirable is the run if you're capable of running it", then it's a voting contest based on "quality". My votes would then be for things like Crooked Cr. (Little MO), Beech Cr., Boss Hollow, Fern Gulley, Whiterock Cr., Sandy Springs Hollow, etc. But everyone's list will be different and just as good.

And in general creeking is only popular in AR if you measure it in terms of desire and not numbers of people. :)

I'd say the distinguishing feature of whitewater in the Ozarks is the lack of it. That is the extremely small watersheds and limited amount of rainfall and elevation. And the trees. Definitely way more trees in plan than most places. And hikes in (and occasionally out) of steep creeks. The combination of those things are what makes the whitewater here pretty damned unique. Creeking in the midwest in general takes a lot of dedication and patience. I think the most dedicated boaters I know all live in the Ozarks. They are, unfortunately, not the ones that get on actual whitewater the most in any given time period tho.

My 2 cents,
Fish

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm

The kayaker who was just transported with boat to an Ozark creek might initially mistake it for a Tennessee "plateau" stream, exxcept for the lack of Tulip Poplars and certain eastern conifers. Gradient might be less and there could be more limestone bedrock. The Ouachita streams are distinctive enough that he/she would know it was a unique place.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 pm

What Fish said, plus my all around best run in Arkansas would be The Cossatot.

Having grown up and started my WW boating in North Ga, the areas where TN, NC, SC come together I thought it was over when I moved out here.

Kept looking at maps and found the Cossatot. Set up a motorcycle shuttle and jumped on it at the paved hiway bridge for the what is now known as the upper run. We did not know of the best put in / take out runs and the paper company dirt roads. Mid afternoon and we got to the falls area and got out to scout. Felt pretty much at home looking at the rocks and the gradient. Next most "at home feeling" was one early spring run when three of us hit Upper Richland at a decent flow.

This was back in the mid 70's and we would literally go down to the Public Library and look at topo maps over in AR and go from there. Did not see a soul other than our little group of usually 3 on either of the first Cossatot or Upper Richland runs and we camped at the take outs on both runs. Times have certainly changed when it comes to head count.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media