Packrafting anyone?

Open Discussion

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Packrafting anyone?

Post by Jetlab67 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm

I've been giving packrafting some serious thought. I'm into UL backpacking/distance hiking and packrafting would open up many new possibilities combining the best modes of backcountry travel. Of course, day-tripping would be cool too. Specifically, I'm considering the Alpacka Yukon Yak with whitewater spray deck (5.84 lbs.) and a 200ish, 4-pc. Werner Sherpa FG paddle (need a backup anyway for my XP10). I've done tons of research but have no personal experience with the boats. I saw a couple Ozark posts on Packrafting.org but nothing recent. Thinking about an epic trip out west this summer say, NW Montana's Bob/SF Flathead or Canyonlands NP. Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?

Paul Smith
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Packrafting anyone?

Post by okieboater » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:26 pm

No experience to share.

But, I am watching this thread with a lot of interest.

Been looking at these Alpaka little rafts for some time now.

They sure do look like fun.

Hoping we have some local boaters with experence to share.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Try the May/June 2013 issue of American Whitewater. There's an article on a pack raft trip in Frank Church Wilderness-Main Salmon, SF Salmon, and MF Salmon. Plenty of hiking included Put in and take out same location. I believe it was done in low water September. Fine example of what can be done. You can access the article in library section of their web site. If I knew what I was doing I could post a link.

Brent

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:12 pm

We saw two guys in packrafts on our trip on the SF Flathead July of 2012. From what we saw they had no problems with water and had a much easier time portaging compared to our loaded super pumas. Guessing we ate much better. They did not have to pay for mules to pack in and out: not cheap. UL is not my thing but if it gets you there and out with what you need, worth a look. They look

Not giving up on the super puma I hope.

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Post by Jetlab67 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm

No Tim, I hope to be geared up with a Super Puma going into summer. I'm just thinking about expanding my horizons with the packraft. BTW, me and Deuce (despite our obvious lack of skills) discussed applying for membership in ARG. I did have the pleasure of boating with several ARG members on the Piney recently. Strangely though, they asked me to hang back a couple hundred yards. What do you know about their "thank you sir may I have another" probationary period? Do you think they’d be more accommodating if one of us scored a Middle Fork permit?
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Speak for yourself. I thought I made it abundantly clear I had no desire to associate with that ARG riff raff. Saying hello to their chief legal counsel in the gym is quite enough for me, thank you very much. In reality you're only hurting your chances of acceptance by mentioning my name anyway. Those guys are predisposed to look down on bucket boats, especially ones with leaky floors. Did you advise Tim of your plan to strap the XP10t down on the Super Puma and strap the pack raft on top of that? He loves that sort of thing. :poke2:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Jetlab67 wrote:No Tim, I hope to be geared up with a Super Puma going into summer. I'm just thinking about expanding my horizons with the packraft. BTW, me and Deuce (despite our obvious lack of skills) discussed applying for membership in ARG. I did have the pleasure of boating with several ARG members on the Piney recently. Strangely though, they asked me to hang back a couple hundred yards. What do you know about their "thank you sir may I have another" probationary period? Do you think they’d be more accommodating if one of us scored a Middle Fork permit?
If you score a MF permit, you will have about 50 new BFF's, ARG included. The ARG are a capricious bunch as far as membership goes. I think I'm banned, either for uttering an age-ism or asking too many questions. They are always looking for shuttle drivers and people to help them haul their rafts to and from the river. Make sure your NRS straps have your initials (not an R or a N(Z) or MJ) and a phone number.

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:42 am

Deuce wrote: Tim of your plan to strap the XP10t down on the Super Puma and strap the pack raft on top of that? He loves that sort of thing. :poke2:
That's not bad idea. Just need someone to row while you try out the other boats. I'd think paddling one of those packrafts down flatwater would be a chore, as opposed to rowing the S Puma.

rankferal
Name: Brandon Loudermilk

Post by rankferal » Mon May 18, 2015 1:55 pm

New to forum, new to northwest arkansas, new to packrafting... but just shelled out for the Alpacka "Explorer 42". Took it on maiden voyage last weekend on Buffalo... 11 mile hike, ~5 mile paddle. Planning on doing a 1-2 overnighter this memorial day weekend. If anybody wants to come along, the explorer will fit an extra person.

Fish

Post by Fish » Tue May 19, 2015 8:35 am

I bought one of these last year:
http://www.orukayak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bought the backpack with it. Can pack camping gear inside the folded boat. Very light, pretty cool design. Not really a whitewater rig, but tough as hell and can take collisions with rocks (but wouldn't want to pin it in current!). I'm looking forward to doing some packing trips up north and out west when life slows down a bit for me.

- Fish

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I saw one recently. I believe it was on the tot. A woman from Texas had it. Anyone else recall this or know her?
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 pm

I saw one recently. I believe it was on the tot. A woman from Texas had it. Anyone else recall this or know her?
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

Social Media