Pulp mill lower Caddo east of Amity AR

Open Discussion
BGW
Name: Billy G. Williams

Pulp mill lower Caddo east of Amity AR

Post by BGW » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:44 am

Word has it a Japanese company has purchased a large track on the lower Caddo. They built a fence around this property in
'a week. They are setting 3 phase power to this property. Does anyone know whether they have filed permits with the ADEQ
If I'm not mistaken the Caddo River is an ERW? Has anyone heard anything or know anything about this?

Jim Krueger

Re: Pulp mill lower Caddo east of Amity AR

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 am

Having lived in the Arkadelphia area for many years, I have maintained a subscription to the local newspaper. Just a few days ago, I was reading some of the latest news from the Clark County Economic Development Commission and there was just a brief mention about the prospects of a paper mill, but little other information.
I took it for granted that such a plant would probably position itself in the area of the Clark County industrial park south of Arkadelphia, and to take advantage of the water potential from the Ouachita River. The Upper Caddo (near Amity) gets really low in the summer.
I'll certainly be interested in further information as it becomes available.

Best Regards
Jim
Last edited by Jim Krueger on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 am

I'm from Arkadelphia and am VERY interested in this. I'll put out some feelers and see if I can gather more info. :?
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 am

Way back in my working career, I worked in a paper mill.

Trees go into one end and kraft paper comes out the other end

Takes a lot of trees and a lot of water.

What I remember most was the smell that went miles from the plant
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 am

Okie,

I grew up in Camden, Ar. where they had a paper mill from the 1940s through about 1985. It was I'm sure of great economic benefit to the folks there, but what a price to pay for just the smell alone. Arkadelphia has always been a quite, scenic, higher-education type of town rather than one most known for heavy industry. I'm sure some folks will be rubbing their hands together in anticipation of high-paying employment, also sure there will be a number of folks there that worry that this may have regrettable consequences. If I live to be 100, I think two of the smells I that I will always recognize instantly will be DDT being dusted on cotton plants, and the smell of that paper plant.

Best Regards
Jim

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Looks like Camden lost out on this deal.

"A company called Sun Paper — specifically Shandong Sun Paper Industry — plans to invest about $1 billion in building a plant employing 350 in one of those two south Arkansas (Camden or Arkadelphia) towns for the purpose of producing paper pulp to be exported back to China."

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article ... s-to-paper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting note is this article appeared on 02-04-2013!

Hmmmm, let's see. Going to use more of the most precious resource that Arkansas has to make pulp for the Chinese to ship back to their country. :confused:
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:20 pm

It's really a difficult subject. On one hand, the jobs that brings to a community are good, but is it really worth it in the long run to the state and its natural resources? I guess it depends on rather or not you need one of those jobs.
- English proverb

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Post by Jim E » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:26 pm

More info here, though as dated as the article Roger posted.
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Ouachitoff wrote:It's really a difficult subject. On one hand, the jobs that brings to a community are good, but is it really worth it in the long run to the state and its natural resources? I guess it depends on rather or not you need one of those jobs.
Yeah, once the single most valuable natural resource in our state is depleted, polluted, wasted, ruined, etc. then all those jobs will be gone. Between the natural gas industry's demand on water along with these enterprises not to mention the demand that large scale agricultural corporations make on our state's water supply, we really are not looking to the future.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

Buckminster Fuller

Ouachitoff

Post by Ouachitoff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 am

Roger wrote:
Ouachitoff wrote:It's really a difficult subject. On one hand, the jobs that brings to a community are good, but is it really worth it in the long run to the state and its natural resources? I guess it depends on rather or not you need one of those jobs.
Yeah, once the single most valuable natural resource in our state is depleted, polluted, wasted, ruined, etc. then all those jobs will be gone. Between the natural gas industry's demand on water along with these enterprises not to mention the demand that large scale agricultural corporations make on our state's water supply, we really are not looking to the future.
In many ways, I don't think we as a nation are, in almost all categories. Regardless of anyone's political leanings, I think we can all agree that near-sightedness on certain issues has not set us up well for the future. I hope that we can turn this around. I'm with you though, every time I talk with my state and national representatives I bring up conserving Arkansas' natural resources, and the extreme importance that clean drinking water will play in the future. They seem to listen, but I'm afraid that money talks and BS walks when it comes to getting things done in Gov't these days.
- English proverb

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:26 am

About a year ago, I read a book "When the Rivers Run Dry".

If you like to drink clean water (no matter where in the world you are) this book will provide some food for thought.

It predicts exactly what is now going on in CA.

Plus what is going on world wide when it comes to drinking water.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Forget oil. Water is the resource that will drive nations, regions, states, etc. to do battle with each other. Either in court or on the "playing field."

See what Nestle is doing now with regards to water resources.

Buckminster Fuller

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Roger wrote:Forget oil. Water is the resource that will drive nations, regions, states, etc. to do battle with each other. Either in court or on the "playing field."

See what Nestle is doing now with regards to water resources.
We can make electricity from sunshine. Can't make water last time I checked. Seems like paper can be made from old paper. ?

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:25 pm

And the Camden site that was offered up would have taken the site of a shut down paper plant. With a larger guaranteed supply of water. Either way. It's a lose for the state in the long run and win in the short run for the locals and win in the long run for the Chinese.

That's how I see it.

Buckminster Fuller

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 pm

If there is to be another industry such as this , anywhere in S.W. Ark. I also would wish they might consider utilizing the older facility at Camden. Infrastructure already in place, and jobs needed even more so than Arkadelphia. Camden was my birth place, and it has just 'dried up on the stalk' since International Paper Company shut that paper mill down quite some years ago. If we must ship our resources abroad , I would more wish it could be in a completed form, such as finished paper products rather than pulp.

Jim

Social Media