Boat opinions

Open Discussion

jdryden78
Name: John

Boat opinions

Post by jdryden78 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I am wanting to buy another boat this spring and want some opinions. I currently have a Wavesport Ethos but want something more playful to take to Fisher Ford. I have been leaning towards a Wavesport Fuse or Jackson Fun. I know these are both river running playboats. What are some opinons on them? Good, bad, should I go for a full on playboat...? I have only been paddling flat water for the past year and a half, so I am far from experienced in white water boats. Thanks for any suggestions.

Don Harwood

Re: Boat opinions

Post by Don Harwood » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:45 pm

The Fuse is a pretty good playboat but is an excellent river runner.
I've had one for 2 1/2 yrs and I like the boat a lot.
I have much confidence in running rapids with this boat.
Very fast hull speed for a small boat and maneuverability is great.
"wherever there's water"

JTarver

Post by JTarver » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:33 pm

If you feel like you want a playboat..or will in the future...go full on playboat. Plus..it will improve your paddling.
Regarding the fuse..I dislike it a lot as a playboat. For a river runner it might be alright..but I found it unresponsive and awkward. That being said..I haven't paddled many of the new Jackson boats. If you dig wavesport..the newest project is a good one...lots of volume for aerial tricks. The project 54 is what I have currently in my arsenal..and I love it. Its very balanced on the ends...and responds even better on large features.
Good luck,
Joe
And all this life we've glorified
Robbin' from the blind
It's not easy, you see
Don't think i don't know sympathy
My victims in my shadow
Starin' back at me

Don Harwood

Post by Don Harwood » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 am

Hey Joe, thanks for the feedback on the 54!
I may get one for myself. I never had a real playboat and I'm older than dirt, so if I'm ever going to get one it had better be soon!
"wherever there's water"

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Post by MaxTexan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:28 am

I have paddled the fuse 64 and super fun. I liked the fuse better. The ekg60 which came before is very similar.

If you can find a used fun or fuse that would be great to try out play boating before buying a true play boat. I have found true play boats a bit hard to roll but I have not tried one since the project series.

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:08 am

I love my Fun. Plenty of stern for old school tricks and I've seen people throw loop after loop in it as well.

Liquid logic Freeride should be on your short list as well..
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Hawkayaks
Name: Hahns

Post by Hawkayaks » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Idk if this interests you, depending on how much you want to spend, sizing, etc. But I have a Dagger Agent 6.2, the middle sized one. I broke the webbing on the backstrap but you could easily fix it by tying in some new webbing. Id let it go dirt cheap if you wanted it. Im in Dallas now but might be back up that way in the next couple weeks. Im wanting to get a new one and this boat is just taking up space in my garage. You could have it for 50-75 bucks

Hawkayaks
Name: Hahns

Post by Hawkayaks » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Idk if this interests you, depending on how much you want to spend, sizing, etc. But I have a Dagger Agent 6.2, the middle sized one. I broke the webbing on the backstrap but you could easily fix it by tying in some new webbing. Id let it go dirt cheap if you wanted it. Im in Dallas now but might be back up that way in the next couple weeks. Im wanting to get a new one and this boat is just taking up space in my garage. You could have it for 50-75 bucks

jdryden78

Post by jdryden78 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:55 am

pm sent

adamm
Name: adam

Post by adamm » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:48 am

If you would like I'll let you try my jackson superstar at the next roll session and I also have a liquid logic cr 250 that is on long term loan to me I could bring also. It's for sale if it's something that peaks your interest.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

jdryden78

Post by jdryden78 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:39 pm

I will let you know if I'm able to make it. Normally in stuck at work on Saturdays

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Blackfly Octane, Option
Esquif L'Edge
Dagger Quake
Pyranha Spanish Fly
Savage Superfly
:canoe: :whistle: :grin: :poke2: :myday"
Parrot Head Paddler

ckuntz
Name: ckuntz

Post by ckuntz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:32 am

Was at work and thought I'd chime in on some thoughts..
If you serously thinking of purchasing one of newer playboats, sit in each of them and try them out briefly if you can.
My experience is my legs fit great in certain brand and styles, while others doesnt come close to working for me.
Jackson boats have been great for leg room and comfortable, wavesport's new boat just didn't fit my legs, Pyranha's boat tends to be a bit roomy. Also each are a little different in responsiveness depending on your weight. Some paddlers prefer to be at the higher end of weight range for playboats so they can throw ends easier, where with a creek boat its more the opposite. Just a couple of things to think about.. Hard to go wrong with most playboats today, but fit and weight are important.

Chris K

jes
Name: jes

Post by jes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:04 pm

I have paddled the Fuse 56 for over two years now. It was a better fit for me than the Fun. I liked the outfitting better,too. The edges on the Fuse are harder than the Fun,which for me made it a little more playful. Had some issues with the outfitting peeling ,and Wavesport made it good with no problem.Hope this helps.

Social Media