UALR Intermural Sports Director planning student event

Open Discussion
turboturtle

UALR Intermural Sports Director planning student event

Post by turboturtle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:11 am

I wish to share of an upcoming student event to be held at our pool on Tuesday December 3rd. Grant Watts is our new intermural sports director, and is wishing to have a pool event which would require a half dozen canoes. I believe I can borrow one if necessary, but still have a need for several more. If any locals would be so inclined to loan us a canoe for this event, I could pick up and return upon completion of this event. Any canoes loaned would be kept inside and out of the weather until they can be returned to their owners. If anyone would dare care to share, You can reach me at 5o1.92o.2197.

Thanks in advance! aka Bob Hoffman
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: UALR Intermural Sports Director planning student event

Post by Cowper » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I only have one tandem canoe, which is what I assume he is looking for?

But if others in the Conway area have a tandem canoe to loan, I'll transport it to UALR and back for you.

Question: Does he need paddles to go with the canoes?
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 am

No paddles necessary Cowper. Tom mentioned having a life jacket or two around for those who feel the need. I have three I can loan them. Most of these kids will not want or need a jacket. This event will be happening in the shallow end of the pool. Any and all boats loaned will be well taken care of. Their will be no bumper boating or dragging of boats in the pool area. If you have any further questions, touch base with me here or E me at rehoffman@ualr.edu, or E mail Grant Watts at gewatts1@ualr.edu
Considering we are lucky enough to not have to pay to use one of two Arkansas' only indoor Olympic sized pools, (FYV being the only other)I think it would be really nice if we can help support any and all student water oriented activities, thus helping the canoe club status with the schools faculty/student population. Events like this could easily be a boon for participation and membership possibilities.

Thanks to all who chose to participate, aka Bob

Mike S

Post by Mike S » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am

I can loan you whatever you need... you will need a truck with a two inch ball to haul the trailer max capacity per 1 trailer 10 canoes! I'm in Benton if this is what you need holla 501-749-2266!

Mike
http://www.SalineRiverCanoe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:37 am

You are welcome to use my tandem. Give me a shoot at 5oh1-threeoh8-5four95
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
P.S. I also have a few spare rec PFDs
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Mike, I think it would be pretty cool to utilize your canoes, as it will also be free advertizing for your livery services. I have a two inch ball. but my little truck is pretty jacked up. About six inches higher than normal. I Could come by and check see if the height is to much for my little Toyota. I will give you a ring later today to see when is convenient to come by and check the height situation for my truck. If it works out, I would be happy to come get them and return them upon completion of our event. It looks like I still have the potential to borrow four or five from other sources if I need them. I will gladly come by to measure my hitch height and address the potential tongue height issues. Many thanks for the offer. I will be in touch!

aka Bob

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 pm

Bob,

I agree with you 100%, the UALR pool has been great to us for many years, and we need to jump on opportunities like this one to give them something in return.

If you've talked to Michael you already know this, but I'm going to make a motion at next weeks Central Chapter meeting and see if we can get agreement to buy his gasoline. If we do that, he can deliver the boats to UALR, he'll just need some help unloading them and getting them into the building. It should also work good for UALR if the boats borrowed are all similar or identical models, that will keep their competition fair and fun for all the participants.

I'll keep in touch with you and Michael off-line to keep this moving forward.

I think this is a real win-win situation, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 am

I haven't had a spare moment to call Michael, but I should have time later today. I will schedule a time to drive down and see if his trailer will match up to my hitch height. If it fits, I will be more than happy to go get them and return them the afternoon after the event. If the trailer will not match up, a donation of fuel for his time might well be the ticket. Thanks for any and all your efforts in the cause Cowper. Three trips to Benton for me is no big deal, and am always more than willing to help anyone when it comes to boating in general. Well, except for motor boating. (no offense) I have and will never own a boat with a motor. :twocents:

aka Bob

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 am

Well, I visited with Mike Sunday evening and my little Toyota is to tall to safely pull his boat trailer. I will attend Tuesdays meeting to aid Cowper's influencing the powers that be for help. Helping the intramural sports dept will benefit us all, and after the many years of fee free use of UALR's pool, this surely deserves consideration.
Thank you one and all for all your offers of boats for this event. I will post an update Wednesday morning. ;)

aka Bob

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 am

Bob, why not just get a drop ball mount for the Yota? Am I missing something?
You come too.
Robert Frost

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:38 am

Thank you Deuse, but without going into it, yes, you are missing something.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 am

turboturtle wrote:Thank you Deuse, but without going into it, yes, you are missing something.
Understood. Be glad to do whatever I can to help including picking up and returning the boats. Just holla.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:17 pm

turboturtle wrote:Thank you Deuse, but without going into it, yes, you are missing something.
We've known Deuce is missing something for a while now. :hammer2:

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 am

Tim Eubanks wrote:
We've known Deuce is missing something for a while now. :hammer2:
Very true, Timothy, very true. Now if we could only find out what it is. :confused:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:43 am

An update:

THANK YOU CENTRAL CHAPTER AND SALINE RIVER CANOES!

At last nights meeting, the Central Chapter voted to cover expenses for getting the canoes to UALR on the day of the event. So we now have free canoes a-plenty, and gas money is covered. Bob and Michael have been in communication. Several have volunteered to help with loading and unloading but I don't know if anything is needed. I'm going to let Bob and Michael figure this out off-line, and assume they will post here if more volunteer labor is needed.

Again, thank you Bob for alerting us to this request, and thank you Central Chapter for "giving back" to UALR!

Social Media