Upper Nanty Release Sept 28 and 29 + GAF

Open Discussion

Fish

Upper Nanty Release Sept 28 and 29 + GAF

Post by Fish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:55 pm

Me and some fellow Stupids are planning on heading out for the upper Nanty release weekend and NOC's Guest Appreciation Festival (read as "Party by the River!"). Upper Nanty has class 4-5 and class 3+ sections - and of course the class 2+ lower Nanty will be running too. Something for everyone.

Anyone else planning on going? Be good to see some fellow Arkies!

- Fish

adamm
Name: adam

Re: Upper Nanty Release Sept 28 and 29 + GAF

Post by adamm » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:09 am

I should be out there the 9/28-10/5 with the family and a friend. I would love the chance to paddle with you guys and step my game up on the upper. If it will work out let me know and we'll get together.
"Ok... set safety and watch me get stupid." Pierce

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:02 am

Ran the 3+ section last month! SOOOO much fun! :yahoo: (even if a bit scary) :fish:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:58 am

Hey Adamm, my messages here on the board ain't working right now. Shoot me an email at fish@ozarkpages.com if you want to try to hook up out there. Looks like there's a few Arkies and a few KC area paddlers heading out - will be a good time on the creek!

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 am

I just got back ( 2 days ago). Spent 3 weeks camped below Nantahala Lake on old river road. they released the upper one day about a week ago. the forest service was all over, not letting boaters put on from old river road, and had so many trucks by horns of god ( i think it's called), you couldnt park there. Somehow a German Boater got passed the F.S. and ran the little falls on old river road. I was out there for the world freestyle kayaking Championships. Way more fun than GAF!
AND, heard that the Eternity hole on the Tuck has been destroyed too while I was out there. New land owner used rocks that formed hole for his building foundation.

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 am

I just got back ( 2 days ago). Spent 3 weeks camped below Nantahala Lake on old river road. they released the upper one day about a week ago. the forest service was all over, not letting boaters put on from old river road, and had so many trucks by horns of god ( i think it's called), you couldnt park there. Somehow a German Boater got passed the F.S. and ran the little falls on old river road. I was out there for the world freestyle kayaking Championships. Way more fun than GAF!
AND, heard that the Eternity hole on the Tuck has been destroyed too while I was out there. New land owner used rocks that formed hole for his building foundation.

An noc employee named Will is the man to ask cascade questions about! I dont think he works if the cascades are running!

Fish

Post by Fish » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:42 am

Getting ready to head out this afternoon, and thanks to some well-timed rain looks like we're going to get a good run in on Friday too. Lots of options right now. Cascades may have a bit extra for us too - some natural flow from Whiteoak should pad it out a bit more. Boat loaded and will be east-bound-and-down very soon!

Fish

Post by Fish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

Had a great trip out at the Upper Nanty release this year. Here's a pic from Big Kahuna on the Cascades. Had a lot of great class 3 boating too on the Tellico, Upper Nanty, and Ocoee. Can't wait for next year:

Couple of video perspectives too - Kahuna done Stupid style!

http://vimeo.com/76814671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vimeo.com/75985328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Credit Dustin from KC for that last video and spot-on rope throw above Junkyard rapid!

Social Media