Can You I.D. This Canoe???

Open Discussion

Dannyboy
Name: Danny

Can You I.D. This Canoe???

Post by Dannyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Can anyone help me identify what make and/or model this canoe might be? It appears to be a lightweight fiberglass layup, with aluminum trim made from tubing. It seems really light and fairly strong for a fiberglass boat, and looks like it'll make a great fishing rig for the middle Buffalo..
Attachments
IMGP0013.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG
"Never Argue with an idiot - they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Corran Addison

Dannyboy

Re: Can You I.D. This Canoe???

Post by Dannyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm

And here are a couple more pics...
Attachments
IMGP0014.JPG
IMGP0012.JPG
"Never Argue with an idiot - they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Corran Addison

ckuntz
Name: ckuntz

Post by ckuntz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Guess of course..

Appears to be Clipper canoe..
Could get serial number and call Clipper and verify..
Appears to be 17 ft. Clipper Ranger maybe?

Chris

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:13 am

Danny,

I can't help with the I.D. but it looks like one a friend brought up to the Little Missouri years ago when we were on a group float. If yours seems pretty solid to you, maybe whoever had it previously stored it out of the weather. If that's the case, it may make a good boat for what you're wanting. The design is certainly good. In the case of the one my friend brought, it must have been out in someones pasture for years and had become brittle and fragile as a piece of pre-columbian artwork... On our float that day, the canoe, leaking from the start, rubbed over one rock too many, and
broke almost in half. It was one of those Mcgiver (sp) days just to just doctor it enough to get it off the river, and to a dumpster.
My first kayak, which I still have, is fiberglass/kevlar and I certainly learned how to repair it over time. If you ever need to do any patching on your cane, I can recommend RAKA Co. for supplies. They are a marine supplier in Fla. and have a great selection of fabrics and epoxies for just such projects.

Best Regards
Jim

Al Donaldson

Post by Al Donaldson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 am

D:

Possibly an older Sawyer, but you'd need dimensions to determine the model, if it is one.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Ave.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
alandonaldson@cfu.net
(319) 277-3194

Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 am

Thank you guys for all your help! And the winner is... ME!

CKUNTZ, excellent eye there man, the guy I spoke to with Clipper said he would get back to me this coming week with an exact year, etc., but it is definitely a Clipper Ranger from awhile back. Apparently they updated the design somewhere along the way and I have stumbled across a 1st gen model with base anodized aluminum trim. After looking up the specs and the reviews, I've gotta say I scored big time on this one!

Jim, you read my mind. The seats show some serious sun decay on the plastic, so I was pretty worried about the structural integrity. I'm happy to report that it feels solid as if it were new, and can take all 210 lbs. of my fat butt jumping up and down on the upside-down hull without protest.

I'm going out this afternoon to take on the mighty Buffalo from 65 to the mouth of Bear creek to see if its glowing reviews are justified. But for less than the cost of a full tank of gas in my Tacoma, I seriously doubt I'll be disappointed in this gracefully aging beauty :D

Thanks guys!
- Corran Addison

ckuntz
Name: ckuntz

Post by ckuntz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Good deal :thumbup:

Clipper makes some good canoes..
Wenonah and Clipper both make fast and efficient canoes.
Eugene Jenson has helped design great boats for both companies. Always wanted to try a Clipper Jenson model but stuck with Wenonah. Looks like that boat is a good one..

Chris

Social Media