Dave Reid's Trip Report of Grand Canyon Accident Sept 2012

Open Discussion
okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Dave Reid's Trip Report of Grand Canyon Accident Sept 2012

Post by okieboater » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:48 am

On my third trip down the Grand Canyon, our group experienced several challenges with accidents.

At Horn Creek, I had a horrific accident that none of us expected. But we did plan for it.

I wrote up a report on the accident and all the healing I went thru from the date of the accident to December 30.

I wrote it up for our GC Trip group and a few boating friends. Not intended for general use.

Tom Burroughs and I talked on Dec 29 at length. Tom is a search and rescue professional and teaches many clinics. He asked to share my report with his students. I said ok. Tom also thought there was a learning opportunity for other groups planning GC Trips as far as preparing for the unexpected. Our group had experience out the yeng yang with most members having run the GC many times, our trip leader had some eleven GC trips. We did all the right things and still this accident happened. The good part of this is the group worked as a team and what could have been death was handled in a professional manner and I am recovering due to that faster and better than expected.

If you want to take a look at the report just clik on the URL at the bottom of this verbiage. The report has a bunch of photos and is in PDF format. Works best with a PC, we have not been successful down loading it to a iPad. The report is on Microsoft SkyDrive. It takes a while to down load. Also you will need the free Adobe viewer to see the report on your machine. I do not know how SkyDrive will handle a lot of down loads, may take multiple attempts. It is a large report and has internal URL references so read it on a internet connected PC.

Like I said, I did this for close friends and it has a lot of personal opinions listed which may not be of interest to you. I probably got some things wrong, but based it on my and my friends memory of the event. I think it illustrates how well our medical system works. Remember the accident happened on a Friday afternoon and I was far from home. It truly amazed me how the system took care of me when I could not take care of myself. The outpouring of support from my internet circle of friends was just outstanding. It illustrates just how tied together boaters are with our electronic gadgets. Dave Reid

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C ... 3ER1FkLqCc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

comments or feedback let Tom and I know your thoughts!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

OzarkTom
ACC Education Chair

Re: Dave Reid's Trip Report of Grand Canyon Accident Sept 20

Post by OzarkTom » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Dave,

Let me first say thank you for your willingness to share this story with us. This is by far the most well written report of this kind that I have ever seen. You have turned what is usually a somewhat confusing mystery into a well written and useful piece of information. Thank you for all your work on this, as we will all benefit in at least some fashion by reading it.

As in many things, the more we reflect on an event like this, the more we learn. I am sure that this story will give all of us who have been in similar situations strong memories and opinions. Lets be sure that as we discuss this, that we do so in nothing but the most constructive fashion. Dave has given us a rare insight into what really happens in events like this!

As we read this account, we can use all this information to help do several things.. One, to be aware of the realities of the sport we love and its sometimes less than desirable outcomes. Second, we can think about how, if we were in these people's postions, we can ask ourselves if we would have been as ready and prepared to help an injured team member? Training and preparedness has to happen long before this type of situation to be of value. And then, what can we do to mitigate risk like this to start with, which in reality is impossible to do completely...

My initial response in reading the report was thankfulness. First, that it didn't happen to me.. And from there, that someone who is a great paddler and friend managed to live through what for many would have been a death sentence.
I am grateful to every single person who was there and did there best to help in what were obviously very trying conditions, and to Dave's family and closest friends who have been there since that initial accident, and have supported him in his battle for recovery.

Dave, as always, you continue to teach your fellow paddlers! Thank you again for sharing this, we all really appreciate it. And thank you for the inspiration of your courage. We look forward to seeing you back in a boat!
Tom Burroughs
Director,
Ozark Safety and Rescue Educators/
Clear Creek Paddlesports
SwiftwaterRescue@gmail.com

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 pm

I have ran several tests using the Message Board URL.

Some folks have said they got a message file not available. I am a newby on use of Microsoft Skydrive.

I suspect this service is not set up for multiple down loads at the same time. I suggest waiting a bit and retrying.

Some folks have seen the automatic down load stop. The screen I get when I use the msg board URL to down load has a option on the upper left screen top titled "Download" I cliked on this to see what happened and got a normal down load to my down load folder which I could open with my free copy of Adobe PDF reader.

If all else fails, use the message board service to send me a email with your email address included and I will send you a personalized download URL which may help.

good luck

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

SteveGabbard
Name: Steve Gabbard

Post by SteveGabbard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:21 pm

Dave,

I am at a loss for words. Your strength is inspirational. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Steve

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Thank you Dave! I hope your recovery continues to gain momentum, and I hope we will have a chance to give you a standing ovation at WW school this year. :yahoo:
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Butch Crain

Post by Butch Crain » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 am

downloaded no prob on my IOS 6 iPhone - other IOS devices should work

a testament to the power & capriciousness of the river, the proficiency & experience of folks trained to do a job & your junk yard dog toughness Dave

could tell it was bad - never doubted you'd transcend

glad you're better

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 am

Dave, thanks for sharing your story for us. Your tenacity is legendary. With your resolve, I am confident you will be active in due time.
To those of us that love being on a creek, the manner of craft is secondary. It's the moving water, being out in scenic and wild places, and the great people in the sport that are most important. Keep enjoying, I know you will. Our best.

Paul and Judy McCune

jaxjack
Name: jack danielson

Post by jaxjack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:01 am

dave, way to go!
i have almost as many plates and screws in same places as you , but not all as once. i can testify that one year from your surgeries, with your work ethic, you can expect to be back to normal.
i will say that my back surgery has allowed me to do things i had not done for years. i discovered that i could walk and bicycle long distances and found that i enjoyed that as much as boating. so it has expanded my out door activities , not restricted them.
keep up the good work.
jack danielson

Don Harwood

Post by Don Harwood » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:24 am

Thank you Dave, glad you made it through all of that!
"wherever there's water"

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Jack, did not know you had all the metal work. Looking forward to see you (and others ) at the river to compare xrays and maybe take a few hits on the adult beverage with your name on the bottle!

Don't fly commercial planes very much now that I am retired. But I bet I can sure light up the alarms at the airport entry metal detectors !

I appreciate all the good comments coming in.

I think a big factor in me handling this accident has been the positive thoughts and prayers coming from friends and people who are on this message board. I refuse to get into a debate on religion, but I know prayers worked to encourage me. Thanks to every one who helped me.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

jaxjack
Name: jack danielson

Post by jaxjack » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:52 am

dave,
our lions club has so many hip and knee replacements, they started an "iron mans section". i am an honorary member. i think i can get you in too!
jack danielson

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:45 am

Jack, it would be an honor. Dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

BHK Okie
Name: Terry Nixon

Post by BHK Okie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 am

I'm sure it's not the most comfortable thing but its not the end of the world either . I have a good friend in Mich. I his mid 60s that cross-country skies 100+ days a year & mountain bikes when there is no snow . He had BOTH hips replaced 11 years ago . That doesn't mean everyone can do it but it does mean that if you really love doing something you can find a way to make it happen .

Michele Jackson

Post by Michele Jackson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 am

Wow Dave. Just wow. What an ordeal. Thanks so much for sharing, especially the nitty gritty details. We can all learn so much from this. You are truly an inspiration. Please keep the updates coming. Good luck with your ongoing, amazing progress. I look forward to seeing you at Whitewater school, in whatever capacity works best for you.

powrachute_pilot
Name: Paul Cox

Post by powrachute_pilot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 am

Dave,
Thanks for sharing. As a physical therapist, I really enjoyed reading about your rehab experiences and subsequent progression. I was a strong advocate for the purchase of a swimex resistance pool at our local hospital outpatient center. We've had it for about 2 years and it has been great. It has an underwater treadmill that is very beneficial as well. The warm water environment sure is great for those who are weak and in alot of pain.

Praying for your continued recovery,
Paul
Paul Cox

Social Media