Boater friendly towns/jobs

Open Discussion
justin.payne

Re: Boater friendly towns/jobs

Post by justin.payne » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm

http://www.millercoors.com/AgeVerification.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Typically lots of engineering opportunities at Coors. I'm working in Golden now. I'd maybe think about what you plan on doing in the winter, skiing, fishing, mountaineering, etc... And to the comments earlier, yes...there is only a couple months of flood water (you know this), but I'm working a full time job and got over 300 IV-V river miles last year with the crappy snow melt. Alot of the places mentioned have good Whitewater, but shitty, icy snow. I'm in the Coors plant almost every day for work, give me a call if you want to discuss a little more.

Oh and also CO gets over 300 sunny days....which is nice.

Peace brother.

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I also highly recommend the PNW. We ain't ever moving back to the Southeast. I thought I would mind the rain here in the Seattle area, but more rain means more snow in the mountains! Cost of living is higher, but the minimum wage is also much higher, and there is no state income tax. Once you get out of the Seattle area, cost of rent, etc., drops dramatically. Ideal places for a kayaker/snowboarder in WA would be Bellingham, Leavenworth, Hood River area, Olympia, Monroe, Index. If you lived in Leavenworth or Monroe/Index, you could raft guide for extra money in the spring/summer. Spokane looks good for snowboarding and its close proximity to Idaho, but I don't know much about the paddling scene out there. Sure, snow quality is better in Utah or Colorado, but if the PNW if where you learn to board, it's no big deal. Good luck, and if you need a place to crash for a bit, look us up.

MaxTexan
Name: dave

Post by MaxTexan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 am

Although it has been 15 years since I lived in the Beckley, WV, my impression is that jobs are hard to find outside of the tourist industry.

It is beautiful area though. If you do not mind cold water, you probably could paddle 300 days a year.

THe coal and gas mining companies need engineers but they employ a lot less people than in the past.

Fair number of federal jobs in WV..... Morgantown the other end of the state is close to a lot of whitewater but the same problem..... employment opportunities.

I have had several people that I know who have lived in Ashville NC and love it. Good regional airport. Close to alot of outside rec opportunities.

Gsteelek
Name: Greg

Post by Gsteelek » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:04 pm

As already mentioned, the boating season is pretty short in CO. Head to the Pacific NW for sure. Moab, UT is very boater friendly and the salt lake resorts are only 4 hrs away for snow. Hard to get a job in Moab though. With that being said I'm moving to Denver in a month.

Social Media