Cossatot Paddlers Alert

Open Discussion

Walter Felton
ACC Member at Large

Cossatot Paddlers Alert

Post by Walter Felton » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Debbie and I received a note from Cossatot State Park Superintendent Stan Speight today indicating that effective the end of October the bridge across the river at Ed Banks will be taken out of service. The bridge has been in disrepair for some time and Weyerhaeuser has communicated to the park office that they no longer need or use that bridge so they have no plans to repair it. The access road will remain open to the river you just will not be able to drive your vehicle across the bridge. Stan said that any repairs would be at the expense of the State Park system and I got the impression that funding for that was not currently in the budget. So we are not losing access at Ed Banks but we will no longer be able to cross the river with our vehicles at that point.

Walter Felton

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Re: Cossatot Paddlers Alert

Post by FarPastGone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:52 pm

That makes running the last mile or so of Camp/Flat Creek a mandatory hike, unless you are willing to brave the labyrinth of Weyerhaeuser roads, or put in at CR 33 (which makes for a fun and interesting day). Not sure many people take advantage of that stretch anyways, I know I haven't run it in several years. Plus it is best when the Cossatot is high and passing over Ed Banks is sketchy at those flows.

- Matt

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Hopefully they are going to remove the bridge when they take it out of service, rather then blow it up. Right?
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm

The water is over the bridge when camp creek is runable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHFQPrJ0yvE&sns=em" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

FarPastGone
Name: Matt

Post by FarPastGone » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm

Dude, Harlan, that video is so freakin funny. Why did ya'll decide to walk Camp/Flat and not the Cossatot? I've only run it once from CR 33 and remember seeing what looked like a camp where people were making meth.

- Matt

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

The Miller High life Had something to do with it....
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

Jim E
Name: Jim Enns

Post by Jim E » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm

We just park on the the East side of Ed Banks and ferry the Tot for the Camp/Flat creek takeout. Tot needs to be 7ft or higher so like Harlan said, can't drive across the bridge anyways.
Just living the liquid lifestyle!!!

Jim Enns <*)))))))))><

gannon_w
Name: Gannon

Post by gannon_w » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Why don't they give US the explosives and let us make a nice surf spot!

Social Media